Is it worth updating / replacing OEM suspension on 2011 - would appreciate members POV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jbuckley21

2011 LC200 - Stock
Threads
Morning all. I have a 2011 LC200 stock, 130k miles. Its lived its life in NJ and the underneath looks like it (certainly rusty - but not awful). I will snap some pics when I get it up on the lift. I had a friend who does suspension lifts (mostly on American brand trucks) have a look and given the condition of the KDSS bolt heads, and a potential lack of options for lift kits, recommended we leave as is and not invest the $ to try and upgrade. But in fairness, this is not a system he has touched.

I called Mainline Overland (in PA, but near us in NJ) and spoke with one of their sales folks, who said they do "5 a week" and sight unseen wouldn't have any problems doing a lift, after me explaining the undercarriage has rust. Only options he said were out there Dobinsons and OME, but they could do no problem. I need to spend a bit of time looking at those options myself.

I plan on keeping the truck, my oldest is getting ready to drive and I plan on sharing with him. We take the truck up skiing a bunch, and down to WV and get off road here and there, but mainly used as a DD.

I want to update the suspension, wheels/tires, roof rack and run this thing til she taps, but a bit concerned if the underneath is really in a condition that doesn't warrant a reasonable investment to upgrade parts...

Will snap some pics and add to this, but curious what others in the "rust belt" have done? Thanks in advance!

Do it. You won’t believe how better the truck rides. For a truck with 130k, you’ve probably already run the life out of the stock suspension.

have a good discussion with MLO about your goals : Lift, carrying weight, towing etc and they’ll Know what mix of shocks and springs you should go with. Also give them an idea if you want a level stance, or more of a rake to allow for 3rd row passengers, etc.

I had my 200 done with them a few years ago. (In NH). I went with dobinsons and did more of a ”Heavy” application as I tow from time to time so I selected a heavier progressive coil than You likely would. I think the truck rides and handles way better now. I also did an upgrade to BFG KO2s which are E-Rated and that probably helps some with the ride feel (though maybe stiffer than some like).

the only issue I had was the KDSS acting a bit strange after the lift, but I suspect that was due to the heavier coil that I wanted. We ended up doing a KDSS rebleed with Toyota and adding a coil spacer in the front to get the side to side lean managed.

for yours, just start spraying PBBlaster on the KDSS valves hex heads now. Hit it once a week until you have the work done. The mechanic will thank You!

Do it. You won’t believe how better the truck rides. For a truck with 130k, you’ve probably already run the life out of the stock suspension.

have a good discussion with MLO about your goals : Lift, carrying weight, towing etc and they’ll Know what mix of shocks and springs you should go with. Also give them an idea if you want a level stance, or more of a rake to allow for 3rd row passengers, etc.

I had my 200 done with them a few years ago. (In NH). I went with dobinsons and did more of a ”Heavy” application as I tow from time to time so I selected a heavier progressive coil than You likely would. I think the truck rides and handles way better now. I also did an upgrade to BFG KO2s which are E-Rated and that probably helps some with the ride feel (though maybe stiffer than some like).

the only issue I had was the KDSS acting a bit strange after the lift, but I suspect that was due to the heavier coil that I wanted. We ended up doing a KDSS rebleed with Toyota and adding a coil spacer in the front to get the side to side lean managed.

for yours, just start spraying PBBlaster on the KDSS valves hex heads now. Hit it once a week until you have the work done. The mechanic will thank You!
Cboyd, incredibly helpful and really appreciate your input!!

I am going to get under the truck this weekend and snap some pics. I have read on these forums that the penetrating oil application, even when done months in advance, won't budge them if really rusted and that folks end up trying to weld on bolt heads to get enough bite to be able loosen.

I will also try and get more time with MLO, they were supposed to email me links to look at and didn't, but suspect that's likely asking to much and need to do more of the leg work myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom