Is driveline thunk a reliability problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 2008 that we bought nine months ago. The first owner only put 29k miles on the rig, so we are very glad to have found it. We both love the truck.

It has the typical vibrating mirrors and the driveline clunk. I noticed the driveline slack right away. Wife (primary driver) says she doesn't feel it unless I point it out to her, and that it doesn't bother her.

Of course, we are way past any warranty period, so my question is... is this (or will this become) a reliability problem with the driveshaft... or is it just a nuisance that we can choose to live-with?

Grease it with each oil change. It'll go away for the most part.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

If it is anything like the "thunk" that happens as you come to a stop and suddenly feel the driveshaft "settle" like I used to have in the 4Runner, then some lithium grease into the propeller shaft and the joints will take care if it.

Lubed twice a year and haven't had a problem in over 80K miles.

My 100 series had that clunk. Greasing helped for a while, but I finally bought a new rear propeller shaft for it. Clunk = gone.

Now, I notice that the '08 LC I just bought has the clunk. :eek:

Not a reliablity issue. Grease the Zerts like suggested. I think Lexus fixed this issue in later years but I don't know what year it happened. I don't think is the newer models they don't even grease them unless you are driving through water.

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing. It was serviced (greased) and then seemed improved. Now after 3.5K miles since my service it seems more noticeable again.

I had the local dealer replace my 2008 shaft (as a warranty claim after warranty expired, since there is a TSB on it) , and the clunk went away...for about 5K miles. They said the new shaft design did away with the clunk... so either they simply greased the old one and claimed to have replaced the old one, or the new design also has a problem. I'll be heading back to the dealer in the next few weeks to have this addressed.

1 of my 100s had this, my FJ cruiser did it and my brother has a 4runner that does it...it drives me nuts. Greasing works for a while, but c'mon Toyota, an $80K truck and I have to grease the shafts to make an issue go away

Semi off subject but fixing the shakey mirrors is simple. I just removed the three bolts on each mirror, put some locktite on them and re-installed. Under an hour of time and they are just like new now. They were driving me absolutly insane.

Semi off subject but fixing the shakey mirrors is simple. I just removed the three bolts on each mirror, put some locktite on them and re-installed. Under an hour of time and they are just like new now. They were driving me absolutly insane.

They really just need an extra washer. Loctite may not be a permanent fix as the factory bolts had the "blue" thread loc on them but were still bottoming out and allowing the shake. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

The new updated drive shaft is not to expensive for a fix, saying that I fixed mine with grease and it not come back. Nothing like the on throttle vibration that does stop until you lift and the only fix is a new transfer case. New Tundra's do it to so I don't know...

These rigs should have the driveshaft greased and retorqued every 15k miles per the owners manual it's suppose to be included in these service calls or when you request it. I've found dealers not doing this even when requested. You can't know about the torque issue but you can crawl under and see if the grease zerts were serviced.

On my 4Runner, I've just made it routine to grease the driveline with every oil change (approx every 7,500 miles) and the thump has generally been a non-issue.

I actually do it myself. It goes away for a little while then comes back. Seems to be a natural feature.

My LX did it the first day I bought it. Atleast the design parameters seem to be consistent across generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom