Is anyone running these wheels on their 60s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw an FJ 80 running a set of these that had been painted black and was wondering if the would fit on a 60 without spacers? I tried searching but nothing came up, I think they are off of the 1985 - early 90 Trucks and Forerunners.
1.jpg

you can measure yourself, but i'm willing to bet you a *shiny* nickel that they won't fit w/o spacers...

you want 3.5" of Backspace. Put a line across the back and measure down to the rear face of the bolt hole. I think i explained that right...

What size are they? 15x8? 16x8?

GL!

did a quick search since i'd seen how to do it before:

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

did a quick search since i'd seen how to do it before:

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Now that my friend..................is thorough! :clap:

If I'm not mistaken, Those were stock wheels on 91-92 FJ80's along with 4runners and SR5 4x4's from the 80's to mid 90's. I have seen 60's with them on em'. Not sure abour back spacing issues though.

If they came on the '84 and '85 Mini's & 4rnnr's, as I recall them doing, then at least those would have the correct backspacing since LA Mini's & 60's share the same general outer front parts. I don't know if the IFS Mini stuff continued to use the same offset wheel or not. I think so, but I can't state it for sure.

That style was the stock factory SR5 alloys on '85-95 pickups and 4Runners, as well as the early 80-series. But they are not all the same backspacing. I have the original set that came on my '87 Hilux, and I know they are slightly different than the ones on the '90+ pickups and 4Runners, the later ones have "Offset 8" formed on them, mine don't.

From toyoland.com:
land-cruiser.jpg

It would seem that if you found a set from an 80-series they should fit on an FJ60. I know for a fact the mini-truck ones won't, without spacers.

Last edited:
If they came on the '84 and '85 Mini's & 4rnnr's, as I recall them doing, then at least those would have the correct backspacing since LA Mini's & 60's share the same general outer front parts. I don't know if the IFS Mini stuff continued to use the same offset wheel or not. I think so, but I can't state it for sure.

I can state for sure they are NOT the same offset, and for sure that those wheels did NOT come from the factory on the solid axle mini-trucks. I have owned both an '84 SR5 pickup and an '85 SR5 4Runner, and they both came from the factory with the same chrome wheels that were on the 60/62's.

I have a solid axle on my '87 now, and I had to swap the front wheel hubs to IFS hubs in order to mount the SR5 alloy wheels. They would not fit with the original solid axle hubs, not even close. They hit the calipers and the tie rod ends.

there sr5 rims from the late 80's into the early 90's. 15x7. dont know if they would fit, would be cool though.

They do fit on a 60

I saw an FJ 80 running a set of these that had been painted black and was wondering if the would fit on a 60 without spacers? I tried searching but nothing came up, I think they are off of the 1985 - early 90 Trucks and Forerunners.

Just installed a set on my 84 60 about 3 weeks ago, and I had to use spacers on the front wheels - completely locked up on the tie-rods. I used 1.5" spacers (got cheap off of CL) but you might be able to get away with 1". The rear wheels bolt right up, no problems. I'll see if I can snap a picture tonight. It was also a jump up to 31" tires, so I now have to fix "saggy 60" in the back, so I have the same clearance and appearance I had with the standard 275/15 stock tires.

Have yet to black them out, but its on the list of things to do.

Glenn in Tucson

Just installed a set on my 84 60 about 3 weeks ago, and I had to use spacers on the front wheels - completely locked up on the tie-rods. I used 1.5" spacers (got cheap off of CL) but you might be able to get away with 1". The rear wheels bolt right up, no problems. I'll see if I can snap a picture tonight. It was also a jump up to 31" tires, so I now have to fix "saggy 60" in the back, so I have the same clearance and appearance I had with the standard 275/15 stock tires.

Have yet to black them out, but its on the list of things to do.

Glenn in Tucson

Are you running the truck version or the ones that came on the 91-92 FJ80?

My 60 with 80 Rims

Took me a little bit longer to get the pic, but here it is. This is with a 1.5" spacer on the front axle. 31's, no lift. These came off of a 80 series that was totalled, dude was going to upgrade to 33's or 35's I believe. Unsure of which year the donor 80 was.
FJ80 Tire on FJ60 with 1.5 spacers.jpg

Last edited:
Full side version

Back axle, no spacer.
FJ80 Tires on FJ60 with 1.5 spacers both axles.jpg

tucson, you should space out the rear too! I think it would look cool and handle a little better!

Rear spacers

tucson, you should space out the rear too! I think it would look cool and handle a little better!

Might, but with having to use red locktite on the spacer nuts, and thus locking the drum to the axle, I'll see if a good front alignment fixes the little bit of drift/wander I've been having since I swapped out the tires. Also will take them down and have the wheel weights tested to see if I've got a jinky balance.

But yes, it would look much better with the spacers. Have also been trying to puzzle out if a minor lift would also be in order- the original tires had a lot more clearance on the back. However, first next project is finishing the roof rack to full length. Want some *SHADE* on the top of the rig. :)

Glenn

Long term experience with FZJ80 rims on FJ60

Well, after having the driver side rear and front lugs shear due to using the 1.5" spacers, I have gone and gotten a set of 16" rims with correct backspacing, and shank style lug nuts. Cannot recommend using the spacers. Not entirely sure if it was the spacers causing the issue, or just 200k+ miles on the lugs, but YMMV, literally. Might be worth doing with 1" spacers to adjust the backspacing on the rim, but I will avoiding spacers in all applications in the future - just easier to get rims with proper backspacing.

Cheers, and hopefully this will save some fellow mudder in the future from having my rotten luck.

Glenn in Tucson

Well, after having the driver side rear and front lugs shear due to using the 1.5" spacers, I have gone and gotten a set of 16" rims with correct backspacing, and shank style lug nuts. Cannot recommend using the spacers. Not entirely sure if it was the spacers causing the issue, or just 200k+ miles on the lugs, but YMMV, literally. Might be worth doing with 1" spacers to adjust the backspacing on the rim, but I will avoiding spacers in all applications in the future - just easier to get rims with proper backspacing.

Cheers, and hopefully this will save some fellow mudder in the future from having my rotten luck.

Glenn in Tucson

Any pics of the sheared studs?? this is the first time I have ever heard of this problem.

Studs only break off from being way over tightened, or from the wheels wobbling around on loose studs. I haven't seen properly torqued, healthy studs outright shearing off.

~John

Pics

Didn't snap pics before I pulled the hub and pressed out the broken studs. They were torqued originally, and had red locktite as well to stop them from coming loose, but something about that setup was obviously not happy-making.

The 1.5" are the style with the additional studs to connect the rim to, not the style where it is merely a spacer that fits over the OEM studs. Not sure what the root cause was, but was scary enough that I won't ever try that again, and can't in all honesty recommend it to anyone. Get rims with proper backspacing.

Glenn in Tucson

Any pics of the sheared studs?? this is the first time I have ever heard of this problem.
"Grim Reaper", on several Toyota, K5, and travel forums, had it happen to him some time ago on his K5 with 36"-38" tires. I think he posted about it somewhere around here, but I've not been able to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom