Is anyone having issues with their LC leaking water during heavy rains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had a soaking wet back passenger side corner of my cargo area and have checked the wether seals multiple times. They are tight, the right shape, not torn, and still look factory new. Yet I cannot figure out where the water is coming in. Anyone else having a similar issue and have any advice where to check next?

Similar situation. It was the third brake light filler seal that was bad.

I found it by removing the tailgate interior trim & having a friend run water across the tailgate while I was watching from the cargo area.

Silicon fixed it (a thin consistent bead should be all you need - I used too much and it looks kinda crappy haha). A few DIY how to threads are here if you search.

Leak is usually the 3rd brake light. The foam dries and crumbles allowing rainwater to pass easily. It can leak on either side or both depending on which side where the truck is leaning when its parked. The water gets routed down the trim towards the bottom of the inside tail gate.

To confirm, carefully remove the the trim piece that covers the inside upper portion if the rear hatch. The opening that the brake light wire routes through: look for staining wetness inside the access or any of the exposed holes, the sides and inside surface of the trim. Another area moisture from the brakelight leak collects is at the bottom of the tailgate hatch seal. Remove the flipdown cover and inspect there as well. Pull the seal and check if there is any corrosion where the pinch welds are and the sheet metal is bonded.

To repair: choose a good silicone seal: good temperature resistance and UV resistance. I found a good option at HD which comes in 6 different colors- so something is bound to match your vehicle or just select clear. GE Silicone 2*+ for exterior windows, metals, vinyl, it's 100% weather proof, rain ready in 30 minutes, UV stable, sun & freeze proof.

Remove the upper deflector, to remove the light. Two nuts on the inside of the hatch secure the light. Disconnect the light and remove. Remove any adhesive, and crumbling foam. Lay a bead of silicone around the sealing surface where the foam was, and also the the based of the mounting studs. Insert the light and tighten down being careful not to over tighten thereby cracking the light housing. Once that is secure, lay a bead of silicone around the exposed gap all the way around the outside of the light. This is a secondary step to divert water around the light.

Put your wind deflector back on and let it dry.

Want to find your leak ?

Turn on the ac full blast in recirculate close all doors and windows. Spray soapy water all over the rear windows 3rd brake light hatch seals well keep spraying till you see bubbles and wala thats where your water is coming in. Also check the bolts for the roof rack.

Check all of these as others have mentioned...

1. bolts on roof rack. Mine was leaking down the grab handle in the second row.

2. 3rd brake light. Take the trim pieces off of the inside of the rear hatch. if they're wet, it's probably your brake light.

3. rear hatch seal. I took mine off and re-installed it with a sealant where it mounts and whallah, no more leak.

Similar situation. It was the third brake light filler seal that was bad.

I found it by removing the tailgate interior trim & having a friend run water across the tailgate while I was watching from the cargo area.

Silicon fixed it (a thin consistent bead should be all you need - I used too much and it looks kinda crappy haha). A few DIY how to threads are here if you search.

My model has the rear spoiler with third tail light in it and a cover over the would be third tail light, and it still looks factory. Would that mean I should focus heavily on the roof rack or should I try to pop out the factory cover of the would be third tail light?

Leak is usually the 3rd brake light. The foam dries and crumbles allowing rainwater to pass easily. It can leak on either side or both depending on which side where the truck is leaning when its parked. The water gets routed down the trim towards the bottom of the inside tail gate.

To confirm, carefully remove the the trim piece that covers the inside upper portion if the rear hatch. The opening that the brake light wire routes through: look for staining wetness inside the access or any of the exposed holes, the sides and inside surface of the trim. Another area moisture from the brakelight leak collects is at the bottom of the tailgate hatch seal. Remove the flipdown cover and inspect there as well. Pull the seal and check if there is any corrosion where the pinch welds are and the sheet metal is bonded.
View attachment 1938801

View attachment 1938802
To repair: choose a good silicone seal: good temperature resistance and UV resistance. I found a good option at HD which comes in 6 different colors- so something is bound to match your vehicle or just select clear. GE Silicone 2*+ for exterior windows, metals, vinyl, it's 100% weather proof, rain ready in 30 minutes, UV stable, sun & freeze proof.

Remove the upper deflector, to remove the light. Two nuts on the inside of the hatch secure the light. Disconnect the light and remove. Remove any adhesive, and crumbling foam. Lay a bead of silicone around the sealing surface where the foam was, and also the the based of the mounting studs. Insert the light and tighten down being careful not to over tighten thereby cracking the light housing. Once that is secure, lay a bead of silicone around the exposed gap all the way around the outside of the light. This is a secondary step to divert water around the light.
View attachment 1938803

Put your wind deflector back on and let it dry.
View attachment 1938804

Would this still hold true for a model with a rear spoiler? My third light is in the spoiler which could not send water inside the vehicle. Where my third light would be if I didn't have the factory spoiler is a factory faceplate. I can send a picture tomorrow. Could water be getting under that? Or should I focus on the roof rack the way another commenter said?

Want to find your leak ?

Turn on the ac full blast in recirculate close all doors and windows. Spray soapy water all over the rear windows 3rd brake light hatch seals well keep spraying till you see bubbles and wala thats where your water is coming in. Also check the bolts for the roof rack.

Thank you! I like this, I will have to try this this weekend!

Check all of these as others have mentioned...

1. bolts on roof rack. Mine was leaking down the grab handle in the second row.

2. 3rd brake light. Take the trim pieces off of the inside of the rear hatch. if they're wet, it's probably your brake light.

3. rear hatch seal. I took mine off and re-installed it with a sealant where it mounts and whallah, no more leak.

Thank you! I'll be trying all three of these this weekend!

Thank you! I'll be trying all three of these this weekend!

Happy to help. The leak for my rear hatch was just wet carpet in the back corner of the cargo area. No wetness anywhere else.

The leak for the 3rd brake light for me was I noticed a single stream of water down the inside of the rear glass and wetness in the hatch trim pieces when I removed them.

Good luck!

Would this still hold true for a model with a rear spoiler? My third light is in the spoiler which could not send water inside the vehicle. Where my third light would be if I didn't have the factory spoiler is a factory faceplate. I can send a picture tomorrow. Could water be getting under that? Or should I focus on the roof rack the way another commenter said?
I've been reading older posts because I have the same issues with wet carpet at the corners of the rear hatch after rain/power washing. I also have a spoiler with the factory cover over the third brake light area. Did you resolve your leak issue? Just curious if you found that brake light cover to be an issue? Thanks!

I've been reading older posts because I have the same issues with wet carpet at the corners of the rear hatch after rain/power washing. I also have a spoiler with the factory cover over the third brake light area. Did you resolve your leak issue? Just curious if you found that brake light cover to be an issue? Thanks!

see '00 LX470 rear hatch leak - brake light options? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/00-lx470-rear-hatch-leak-brake-light-options.1038569/post-15213531

The faceplate foam gasket failed on my 2006; it had a Gulf States supplied spoiler on it too.

Same repair guidance as with a legit light is required if that’s where water is observed to come into the cabin. Silicone is messy, and is why I wish I had hired a professional to do it looking back

The faceplate foam gasket failed on my 2006; it had a Gulf States supplied spoiler on it too.

Same repair guidance as with a legit light is required if that’s where water is observed to come into the cabin. Silicone is messy, and is why I wish I had hired a professional to do it looking back
Thanks for sharing. That’s where I’ll start the investigation for my leak. Hoping it’s the culprit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom