Is an AC/DC winching option practical? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm shopping for a winch I can use to haul in my dock and boat lift. The lake is not vehicle accessible but does have AC power so I've been using a little portable AC WARN PullzAll winch BUT I want more power as the PullzAll is just a little bit light. It would be nice to buy a winch that I could mount on a trailer hitch receiver as well so I'm wondering if there's an acceptable AC/DC solution for winching. I'm thinking about ways to power a DC winch via AC power when it's used for Dock and then using it's native DC if I want to use on a (yet to be determined) vehicle. I happen to already have a receiver mount for a winch.

AC->DC converter? Battery bank? I've been researching but I'm reading mixed and complicated feedback on both these solutions. Because winches are so power hungry is buying a DC winch in the event I ever want one the only correct solution?

How long do you need to run it at the dock? If it's just short runs I'd think running it off a deep cycle battery (s) would work. You'd have to make sure to keep it charged. Not good to discharge them beyond a certain point.

How long do you need to run it at the dock? If it's just short runs I'd think running it off a deep cycle battery (s) would work. You'd have to make sure to keep it charged. Not good to discharge them beyond a certain point.
How long? Not that long in actual runtime, pull in a ~40ft dock and a boat lift. Maybe 10-15 minutes of actual run time. Most of the other time involved in pulling in the dock and lift is steering and ramp moving, etc not actual winch runtime.

I just don't know how long a battery would run a 240 Max Amp Draw/ 4000 Pound winch like the DC WARN 4000.

Not portable, but 4x the power of the PullzAll and cheap: Cabelas: Electric Hoist (440lbs)

The Cabelas Hoist - The PullzAll is 1,000 lbs

The PullzAll is actually probably plenty big especially if I get a snatch block involved it's just that the rope is so short that there's a lot of in and out, multiple pulls, reconnecting to rope, etc. I'd really like to get an over sized winch with a long rope to make the dock pull in super simple. Connect once, no snatch block or pulleys needed. Just connect to dock or lift, press a button and pull it all the way in with one draw, done.

I'd rather not have to pay for a $1,000 AC winch if I could buy a $500 DC and also use it with a DC vehicle if I every needed to but it's looking like a dual purpose DC portable or AC/DC converter option isn't practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom