Ironman Snorkel Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite what you've read, this snorkel can be installed while having a functional power antenna by making minor modifications. I highly recommend cutting the largest hole (the oval) in the fender first. By doing this, it gives allows you more margin for error that you won't have if you drill any of the other holes first.

Now if you try to fit the snorkel into the hole you just cut, chances are you probably won't be able to due to the location of the power antenna. Here's what you do:

The power antenna bracket here
IMG_3946.jpg

needs to be unscrewed, then cut/bent. Unfortunately i don't have a picture of what this looks like before i put the snorkel on the fender. You'll have to get the idea from a picture below. Now it is free enough to be moved around enough to be able to get the snorkel fitted to the fender. Without doing this, the snorkel will not even fit into the oval hole that you cut into the fender.

The template that came with the snorkel isn't great. I found that the big hole was the most accurate. With that said, take the template, cut out the oval in the template, and lay it on the backside of the snorkel. You'll find that the three holes (representing where the snorkel is mounted to the fender) do not line up. WTH!!! I found myself going back and forth between laying the template on the snorkel and on the fender just to make sure i knew where/how the alignment of the snorkel and the A-pillar would be. (If you don't drill the mounting holes properly, you may wind up enlarging them to get them to align with the snorkel or worse yet, to get the snorkel to lie properly with the a-pillar) Once you get it right, cut the proper placement of the mounting holes in the template, and then transfer it to your fender.

Now you have the snorkel on the fender, you placed the screws in, drilled the a-pillar, painted/deburred the holes you've made. You need to connect the snorkel.

I went to homedepot and purchased a 3" diameter pvc pipe, (length of the stock under fender intake tube), one hose clamp, and one rubber pipe coupler. Here are the pics:
IMG_4000.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

The only reason i used a pvc pipe was because i did not feel comfortable with the connection of the stock under fender intake tube to the bend that goes to the airbox. I think the rest of the pics speak for themselves.
IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

With the way the antenna is positioned between snorkel and the inner fender, I did not feel it was necessary to fasten it to anything. It's snug and not going anywhere.

I hope this helps someone who's interested in this snorkel, or someone like me who ordered it without knowing 100% how to make this work. Every post i read about the previous style safari snorkel stated that somehow it would work with the power antenna, but no where could i find HOW it worked. (Previous style safari snorkel apparently has same design as the ironman.) The only reason i got this snorkel was because I liked the look of this snorkel better than the current style safari snorkel. I had a safari snorkel on my FJC, but never really got used to the long arm that goes across the fender.

Nice work man! I also thought it could be made to work with the power antenna. The white looks tight on the LX too!

Ironman Snorkle

Hey,
I like the truck and the look of the white snorkel, good job mate!

can you email me the pic? eli@camel4x4.com

Thanks,

Eli

Last edited:
I need to this mod. My current setup is not good.

Are you guys really going through high enough water to need a Snorkel, and how often? It seems so overkill to me.

Is it more for looks? Sorry, but I see a lot of LCs with them and I don't really get it.

There are people on here who have soaked the factory airbox and filter doing water crossings. Those people are few and far between, but it's been done.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and hydrolock a $7k motor. Just sayin. :meh:

FYI. I tried this mod. My antenna drive created too much interference. I had tO remove mounting brackets from antenna drive and inner fender well. The antenna is now functioning, but I would not recommend this to others. On the positive side, Iwas able tom retain the factory airtube.

It won't be any problem for me as the aerial is on the passanger side. Remember we are driving on the right side of the road.
The snorkel is on the opposite side of the car, the driver side (right side).

High enough water? Yes we do, and we have a lot of dust which will clog up your airfilter very quickly. A snorkel is taking cleaner air.

Any chance you still have the original photo of the modified antenna bracket to make the snorkle fit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom