Ironman 65L fridge initial review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For the Jackery 500, specs say recharge time is 80% is 5.5hrs and 100% in 7.5 hrs (12v). I think I would opt for something with a faster recharge time.

My very unscientific experiment with the Jackery Explorer 500 powering the Ironman 65L dual zone.

Fridge parameters: Freezer set to 30F / Fridge set to 34F - both bins completely empty

Exterior temp was 57F @ 17:05 with both bins at 63F mounted inside the truck. Plugged in fridge to DC output of the Jackery with compressor set to max to bring down to set points. Took 36 minutes, and I saw a peak of 52W draw. Jackery was at 96% when temps were reached, then I swapped over to low compressor speed to maintain.

Opened both bins once each just to confirm it “felt cold.”

Jackery looks to be pulling a continuous 2W to keep the DC output alive and power what’s needed for the fridge with the compressor off.

Checked at 9:03 the next morning and battery capacity was at 84%. I’d average exterior temps between then and the morning to be about 45F.

Left it running in the 80 outside all day today and took the 200 for a day trip with the family. Exterior temps were 65F - 70F all day and just checked at exactly 17:05 for a full 24 hour run time (including bringing it down to set temps). It’s at 69% (heh).

Going to keep it running again through the night, but overall, I’m impressed! Both on the Jackery and the power draw from the Ironman 65L dual zone. A bit cooler temps than typical for Florida, but most of my trips are done in NC/GA/TN/SC area, so I don’t think it’s far off for climate for areas and time I use the truck. Also the bins were empty, so no cold stuff to keep the bins cold.

I anticipate this will do just fine. Changing out the factory 12V DC socket to a Blue Sea 1011 to charge up the battery while traveling, but otherwise a simple plug-and-play solution for someone that doesn’t do much more than a long weekend. Big bin for booze. Small bin for grub.

Overall, stoked. Time to put it to the real test.

I've got 68 dual zone in the Iceco badge. I've also got a Dometic 40, ARB 73 Zero and a generic Chinese 65 qt.
My favorite is the ICECO so if they from the same manufacturer, which they look to be, it should be a good unit.

On another note
I had two ARB cooler that were made by Engels that I ran continuously either in a truck or at the shop from 1997 until 2020.
I doubt any other compressor will last as long as the Sawafuji compressor that is in an Engels unit but they are pricey.
In the late 90s the Aussie dollar was only about 45~50 cents US dollar so the ARB fridges were a bargain

It looks exactly like my Iceco VL60 dual zone.
curious what your experience is like with the iceco? I have the same as you and it seems to be having issues. The left side cools way cooler than set (6 degrees instead of 34) and the right side won't cool hardly at all (61 set to 34). So far can't find an troubleshooting info to speak of online.

On my Ironman Dual zone, the right space can be set cooler than the left space. I have had it about 9 months now but have been super happy at how it has performed. I don’t have it running 24/7. Only when on the camping trips.

Engel, single zone, just got the mt45p, had an engel 45qt for 20 years, just got a newer one, with 100w solar & 2 batteries it can go without running engine, provided there is sun. the secop/danfoss cycle too much and the run time to reach temp is a bit longer. I found these types tend to work the system a fair bit harder and you have to keep an eye on them as the voltage cut outs trip under motor start up, which they should not because that temp low voltage condition is momentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom