Ironman 65L fridge initial review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Portland Oregon, Keeping it real in Lents
Picked up one of the 65L versions from Metal Tech in Newburg OR. I Highly recommend giving them a call if you need Ironman gear.

The fridge came packaged well and there were no scratches. Comes with a Aus 3 prong power cord for the wall and a long enough to reach the back 12V accessory cord and some instructions.

Inside there are separate bins that can be set to different temps. Interestingly the left bin can not be set lower than the right. The right bin has the cutout for the compressor and controls so it is smaller and set up like a tertris L piece only upside down. I used this as my freezer for a trip. The left bin I used as the fridge.

This is an initial impression because I took it out in 25 degree weather. It really didn't have to work hard with it that cold and the fridge side actually never had to use power. I set it at 3 and the readout was always between -1 and 3 depending on if I had the heater on.

Things I like.
1. It has baskets that you can load and just slide back into the compartment.
2. You only have to access the side you want with separate lids.
3. The controls were easy to use.
4. Set the freezer to -18 and had frozen Ice-cream the whole trip.

Things I did not like.
1. Did not come with a Aus to North american plug adapter and I did not notice until I want to pre-cool with shore power the night before.
2. The latches barely latch but that may be on purpose to save the seals. Just feels weird and if it gives me problems it would be easy to slot the screw holes in the latch for more tension.
3. I followed the instructions but could not get the readout to switch to F. from C.
4. Because of the dual bins the fridge holds less than it normally would for outer dimensions it has.

Overall it is a nice fridge and pretty unique in comparison to out ones on the market. The price was right and the dual climates is killer.

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

does it have 2 compressors and circuits? If not, how does it handle the separate temps?

does it have 2 compressors and circuits? If not, how does it handle the separate temps?

I have not poked into its workings too much to figure that out but guessing I think it has one compressor that is somehow linked. The left and larger compartment can not be set colder than the right. So you can have fridge/fridge, freezer/freezer, and fridge/freezer. You can not have freezer/fridge. It does have a "run" light that lets you know when it is running for each compartment. The control panel allows you to set them and then it defaults to what the current temp inside is. I do not know how accurate the reading is. I do know that at times the fridge was reading -2. None of my liquid was frozen but I did have a hint of ice in some pre-made egg salad. The freezer read at -17 and the ice-cream I had in there was as hard as coming out of a house freezer.

Any idea on current draw for this fridge?

I know that the spec is showing .7 Ah/H at 12 volts, but that's likely the minimum draw in regular fridge mode. I'd like to know what it's drawing when it's 100 degrees outside and you've got the freezer cold enough to keep ice cream and the fridge side cold enough for appropriate beverage consumption. ;)

Any idea on current draw for this fridge?

I know that the spec is showing .7 Ah/H at 12 volts, but that's likely the minimum draw in regular fridge mode. I'd like to know what it's drawing when it's 100 degrees outside and you've got the freezer cold enough to keep ice cream and the fridge side cold enough for appropriate beverage consumption. ;)

I realize this is an old thread, but I went back to the specs to look at current draw/power consumption now that I am planning some battery configs for camping.

This page says the 65L has an average power consumption of 55W (or 4.6 amps @ 12v): IceCube Fridge/Freezer 65L (68Quarts) - Dual-Zone | Twin Compartment - https://ironman4x4america.com/icecube-fridge-freezer-65l-68quarts-dual-zone-twin-compartment/
However, this PDF says average power consumption is 40 watts (3.3 amps @ 12v): https://store-pusehjx.mybigcommerce...657.426657235.1621614861-145011841.1621614861

I appreciate the 0.7 Ah/H current draw at 12v, but that is at 68F ambient outdoors (not very hot) and 41F inside the fridge. The FDA recommends keeping fridge temps at or below 40 F. I keep our house fridge set at 36F.

I had cooled the fridge on AC (shore) power to 4C both sides, but then realized that is pretty close to 40F (39.2F), so I dropped the setting to 3C for both sides on the Lion battery pack.

It would be convenient if you could set these fridges to F!

On compressor start up for one cube (the small side/compressor side) was close to 60 watts, or 5 amps @ 12v, now it is showing around 40 watts = 3.33 amps @ 12v.

This is not a perfect test, the fridge is mostly empty, not filled with food and snacks and drinks.

Any more experiences with the Ice Cubes? Seem like a rocking deal with a 5 year compressor / 3 year everything else warranty

I believe these are rebadge IndelB fridges (Travel Box & Cruise TB65 DD Steel - IndelB - https://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box/tb65_dd_steel) that use the Secop compressor (formerly Danfoss). The IndelB are also sold under the TruckFridge.com (TB65DD STEEL AC/DC Double Door Refrigerator/Freezer - https://truckfridge.com/collections/all-models/products/tb65dd-double-door-steel-refrigerator)

I believe @Ironman 4x4 USA is having a sale currently 25% off for this fridge. Ironman 4x4 America | Off-Road Truck Equipment & Accessories - https://ironman4x4america.com/ using the code on their website. I am also in the market for a dual zone fridge and this one is topping my list at the moment. But my pennies are being saved for a RTT.

I believe these are rebadge IndelB fridges (Travel Box & Cruise TB65 DD Steel - IndelB - https://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box/tb65_dd_steel) that use the Secop compressor (formerly Danfoss). The IndelB are also sold under the TruckFridge.com (TB65DD STEEL AC/DC Double Door Refrigerator/Freezer - https://truckfridge.com/collections/all-models/products/tb65dd-double-door-steel-refrigerator)

I believe @Ironman 4x4 USA is having a sale currently 25% off for this fridge. Ironman 4x4 America | Off-Road Truck Equipment & Accessories - https://ironman4x4america.com/ using the code on their website. I am also in the market for a dual zone fridge and this one is topping my list at the moment. But my pennies are being saved for a RTT.
The 25% off is what has my interest. The 65L is “normally” $1259, but it is marked down to $899. Tack on the 25% off and you’re at $675 plus free shipping. Seems like a great deal for a dual zone.

I just know nothing of their longevity or efficiency.

I just ordered mine too with the 25% discount, I couldn't resist.

What's real world current draw on these things? Obviously the stated 0.7 Ah is cool temp outside and warmer than really used inside. Found this chart online to give a round-about estimation (not specific to this fridge, just in general). They seem a bit inflated...

1640989486989.png

Thinking of possibly pulling from truck power and running off a power pack.

I've had my eye on something like the Jackery Explorer 300 (293 Wh) that seems like it will handle the fridge just fine in between drives. Worst case scenario is one side playing freezer duty in 80°+ temps for 12ish hours but anticipating a charge the next day while traveling.

Last edited:
What's real world current draw on these things? Obviously the stated 0.7 Ah is cool temp outside and warmer than really used inside. Found this chart online to give a round-about estimation (not specific to this fridge, just in general). They seem a bit inflated...

View attachment 2880274

Thinking of possibly pulling from truck power and running off a power pack.

I've had my eye on something like the Jackery Explorer 300 (293 Wh) that seems like it will handle the fridge just fine in between drives. Worst case scenario is one side playing freezer duty in 80°+ temps for 12ish hours but anticipating a charge the next day while traveling.
I have a Jackery 240 and it’s insufficient to handle powering the Ironman 65 L overnight in the spring and summer conditions. It would only last maybe 6 hours this fall when I did a test run.

I do use the Jackery as a buffer on my starter battery. So my fridge is plugged into my Jackery which is plugged into an always on DC port.

The larger Jackery unit may be able to handle powering it overnight. I would recommend getting a 100 watt panel to pair with Jackery unit. So it will recharge when you are stationary.

You can use any 100 watt panel and just get the adapter cable that goes from MC4 to the DC barrel plug on amazon for like 15-20 bucks. You don’t have to go with their brand panel.

The largest load that I have seen on it is around 60 watts so 5 amps. Cooling from 70 F to 30 F. But once it is at the set temp, the consumption is low around 0.7 amps is about right. You can reduce consumption by choosing the low compressor speed but it will increase your cooling time.

I have a Jackery 240 and it’s insufficient to handle powering the Ironman 65 L overnight in the spring and summer conditions. It would only last maybe 6 hours this fall when I did a test run.

I do use the Jackery as a buffer on my starter battery. So my fridge is plugged into my Jackery which is plugged into an always on DC port.

The larger Jackery unit may be able to handle powering it overnight. I would recommend getting a 100 watt panel to pair with Jackery unit. So it will recharge when you are stationary.

You can use any 100 watt panel and just get the adapter cable that goes from MC4 to the DC barrel plug on amazon for like 15-20 bucks. You don’t have to go with their brand panel.

The largest load that I have seen on it is around 60 watts so 5 amps. Cooling from 70 F to 30 F. But once it is at the set temp, the consumption is low around 0.7 amps is about right. You can reduce consumption by choosing the low compressor speed but it will increase your cooling time.
I ended up picking up a 500. Plan is to have it hooked up to ignition power only and let the Jackery do its thing in between drives. Should be here in a few days, so we’ll see how it does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom