Invite: Whipsaw trip, August 19th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The "obstacles" are harder going in from the Whipsaw side than from the Tulameen/Coalmont side.

However, from the Lawless Creek side you can also see some neet stuff, like Tulammen Mountain (if you got time for a hike)

Here's some pics (not mine) to give you an idea...
Coqiuhalla Mountain & Tulameen Mountain

Google map...
tulameen mountain bc - Google Maps

Club Tread...
Tulameen Mountain

Mount Thynne is also nearby (to the North) and you use to be able to drive to the old Foresty Fire Lookout - not sure how accessible the road is now.

Google map... tulameen mountain bc - Google Maps

Edit: It is driveable and wired
hiking Mount Thynne, Coquihalla, BC, Canada

5982839257_b8e78ef684.jpg

mountthynnetoppic.jpg

Last edited:
The "obstacles" are harder going in from the Whipsaw side than from the Tulameen/Coalmont side.

Wouldn't we be hitting the same obstacles in the opposite direction on the next day?
Mount Thynne is also nearby (to the North) and you use to be able to drive to the old Foresty Fire Lookout - not sure how accessible the road is now.

Cool... I'd love to check that out. Lets do it! :D

Last edited:
so I received a phone call from Jeff this evening, turns out one of the boys had an issue with his 60 and roke the axle, which took a bite out of the rear wheel bearings. Parts and tools are being gathered to a Sunday rescue, can't wait to hear the details and see the pics!
Have a safe trip home.

I just heard about this now. We do have a couple short sides, but sounds like that is sorted. A rescue run would have been great, but I got back from Manhattan yesterday. The flight had a weather induced delay and after being up all night I spent the day around here in a sleeplessness induced fog. Back at work now. Looking forward to the details as well.

gb

Last edited:
Well I'm back, but the Island boys still have several hours of entertainment ahead of them......
This guided your of the famed Whipsaw Trail consisted of Jason "'Cruisin" Hugh and family in their HDJ81 with M101 trailer, Pete "Antarctican" the FJC and trailer, Paul and family in their Tacoma, Glen in his BJ74, Andrew "Asutherland" and buddy Greg in an HDJ81, Cam "slowandsteady BJ" in his big BJ60, and yours truly in another HDJ81.
We entered Whipsaw via a new route to me, up the Coquihalla and through Brookmere, following a part of the Kettle Valley Railway, and then towards Otter Lake/Tulameen and into Coalmont. It was a nice drive, easy gravel travel, but some nice scenery.
Once we got into Lodestone Lake, Pete and Jason had a race deploying their trailer tents. Jason won the race, but Pete took the prize for largest tent, it's freaking huge, and he only set half of it up.
Once camp was set up, the Whipsaw newbies (Pete, Andrew, and Cam) wanted to to see the old ranger station/viewpoint so up we went. We spent some time up there enjoying the view and general chit chat/tall tales/lottsa bull****, when Andrew spotted a hill to climb in the area just below. As we watched from above, Cam decided to try the hill, so we all drove down to check it out.
And that was the end of our Whipsaw trip, as Cam promptly blew the right side rear axle going up the hill.
Luckily, anyone with Telus has full cell coverage at that spot, and after several calls we were able to contact Steve and Mat and started sourcing parts for the repair. We made a log skid and strapped it under the defunct rear axle, and attempted to drag the crippled 60 back to Lodestone, but after we got it turned around it was soon apparent that the other side of the rear axle was broken as well.......
Out came the chainsaw again and another skid was made and strapped in place. I think with the one skid it may have been doable, but the behemoth did not really want to move on two skids. So we left the truck for the night and headed back to camp.
As we sat around our camp light (full fire ban in effect) we came up with a few ideas, such as finding a UHAUL dolly in Princeton and towing the truck out and then repairing it. The final choice was to head back to civilization and gather the needed parts to field repair it. As I had to leave anyways, Andrew followed me back to the city where Matt had gathered up all the required ingredients. A big thanks to Matt and Steve for their efforts, it's good to have great people like this behind us.
We hooked up with Matt in Maple Ridge, and Andrew and Greg headed back the four hour trip with the parts.
This is where my story ends, to be continued by the Island Boys.
P1030342.jpg
P1030349.jpg
P1030350.jpg

Oh dear.... You tube? You didnt.... Yep you did. Grunt.

Things are going well. I had to remove the carrier to get the bits out but after bashing a breaker bar with a fire axe we got it all out. Now it's re assembly time. Andrew isn't back yet but I expect him shortly.

Big thanks to Matt for parts,
Jeff for moral support, tequila and shuttling around bits o truck
Glenn for coffee and helping me keep a level head
Pete for the nuclear lighting
Jason, Amy, Andrew, Ian and everyone else.

Without you all I'd have to live out here for a looong time while I whittled a new rear end out of granit, wood, plastic pipe and mosquito goo.

So ummm..on another thread where I posted the video (Yah baby it's viral!) It was suggested to have tried putting the high lift across the tire and strapping it to the bumper and sliders, thereby holding the wheel in place.
I think we did joke about this, but using the high lift never entered our thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom