Intro Thread for a project BJ42, based in Ontario Canada. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a legendary dude in Maple, Ontario who daily drives his BJ40 in all weather. He works at the Maple Town Hall (I see his truck in the parking lot every day from the train) and spoke to him once in the parking lot at Longo's. I wonder if he's here or can be contacted, his rig is reliable, looks great and is used every day.

j
By Maple do you mean Vaughan?

Where did he find one for 500 dollars because I will start searching for them
I picked a parts 42 up for that and it basically disintegrated when I towed it home. I searched for 5 years to get a cheap parts rig.

FYI my driver BJ42 sat for over 5 years when I bought it. There were no diesel mechanics in Yellowknife who wanted to touch it so the PO let it sit because it was discharging batteries. I drained the old diesel from the tank, put fresh diesel in, changed the fuel filter, changed the oil and put 2 new proper sized batteries in it and it started right up.

I'd recommend getting it running and slowly pick away at what it needs. I drove mine from Yellowknife to Nova Scotia when I moved and all it required pre-trip was a little bit of preventative maintenance. Once you baseline it and fix the problems it should be reliable. If you want a show truck that is a different adventure.

I'm out by Peterborough. I've got a 79 bj40 I'm currently restoring.
I've also got a bj60, I have a very good understanding of these trucks.
If you need any help let me know

thanks for all the replies, im real happpy to know there is a good amount of cruiser heads in ontario. would any of you guys need a hand in fixing some of your stuff up? I reason it would be good to get some experiance wornking on them and to also meet some of you guys. other then that I worked at an autobody shop for a good part of last month to do some espianage and to become a bondo bandit.

thanks for all the replies, im real happpy to know there is a good amount of cruiser heads in ontario. would any of you guys need a hand in fixing some of your stuff up? I reason it would be good to get some experiance wornking on them and to also meet some of you guys. other then that I worked at an autobody shop for a good part of last month to do some espianage and to become a bondo bandit.
Covid is always the limiting factor for your request, but will be starting the rebuild in the next 3 weeks and definitely a good place to start by setting how everything goes together and more so how not to do things.

Is she moving forward....snow slowly being replaced with mud....
I am, lol
20210404_181651.jpg
20210327_154256.jpg

Does that count as a rolling chassis if there's no wheels....looks clean
Nope, but now that my knuckle centering tool arrived it will be. Absolutely disgusted with myself for accidentally losing track of shims. Nothing $400 wouldn't solve. Lol

IM BACK,

Well after my hiatus I finally have an update. I have the bj now and I have a shop to work on it at.
20210612_151055.jpg
my fiance is really excited to get her going and what not. Here is the good, it came alot beefier then I expected. To start it has a five speed, power steering an a 3b which so far is in good condition (I'm currently doing my start up procedure so it hasn't run yet) and heres the better, its front was converted to calipers, an ELocker, in the rear and a factory service manual (albeit for 60s and 70s).
20210613_214544.jpg
now the ugly is in the tub and and the hood, everything else is tolerable for now.
20210614_094757.jpg
20210614_094753.jpg
other the dealing with the fruits of salty winters and neglect, I'm happy to get going.

I will hopefully update weekly seeing that I parked the cruiser directly by my work place
20210612_172340.jpg

Howdy, I have some updates, I've been working on the cruiser almost every day this week, most of which was staring at it in glee or calling people more knowledgeable then me.

20210618_184057_021.jpg
thanks to shooter1972 for being the absolute madman he is because my 3b is a runner thanks to him talking me through the start up procedure (I have a video of it running which I'll see if I can post through youtube or somthing). The only problem is the edic is being a little broke and stuck, but I'm going to pull it to see if I can jerry rig it into working.
20210616_183437.jpg
another fun goodie I found out is that it doesnt have an e locker, it has duel pneumatic lockers, as seen by the compressor up front and how the lines run to both diffs. Though all these fun things have left my wiring harness as a mess. Im looking for a diagram of what the 24v system is supposed to look like, because I have the 60-70 series classy manual not the 40. If anyone's interested in the manual please message me I want to pass it forward.

there is an entire diesel/24v forum lower down onlist of forums,

As well, when you go to ‘search’, do advanced search, hit thread only, then type in topic,
scroll down to forum of choice,
then hit search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom