Intro Thread, BeeMo and his CE95 Corolla (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, I hope this is the right place to put this post.
I purchased a 1991 CE95 Corolla a couple months back, its a 5 spd, 4WD with a 2C 2 liter diesel.
The big reason I joined was because I was able to find Turbobrick211's posts about his CE95 Corolla, it seems like he's the only other person actively posting in the states who has one of these cars.

So before purchasing my CE95 I had no idea how hard it was going to be to find a service manual for it, so far I've only been able to find Toyota's service manual for the 1C, 2C, 3C engine family.
It sure seems like all of the service manuals for this vehicle were collectively burned...

This is also my first diesel vehicle, and I'm looking for any general tips to keep her running smoothly.
I picked it up completely stock with 33,xxx miles and have put 2000 miles on it so far.

So far I've done the following.
  • Oil change
  • Brake bleed
  • Clutch master cylinder bleed
  • Power steering fluid
  • Fresh coolant
  • Transmission (& transfer case, pretty sure they share fluid) oil
Does anyone have any general suggestions for diesel care or specific things I should prioritize to ensure she remains smooth and reliable? When and how often should I replace the fuel filter?
So far I've just been working through a bottle of Lucas Diesel Deep Clean, I see that the topic of diesel additives are quite polarizing.

Cheers!
-BeeMo

*I'll work on adding some more pictures too.

CE95 Corolla.jpg

I think I speak for everyone in here - THAT THING IS AWESOME!! I had no idea that vehicle even existed.

Regarding maintenance, check the timing belt for cracking would be the highest priority. I have no idea if that engine is an interference engine, but if it is, that belt is vital.

You already did the fluids that I was going to recommend, namely the brake fluid which is hygroscopic.

I did not have any idea that there was a diesel Corolla - awesome !

Just a reminder that diesels like CLEAN - oil and air - so you might want to add a new air filter to your list. jmo.
A Corolla diesel did (since 1983) and does exist in Europe, but a 4WD version is really a rare bird...

Awesome, thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

It is a JDM model, and I am really curious how many 4WD diesel Corollas Toyota produced.
I've only been able to find a handful of old listings in the states.

I'm fairly confident that it is an interface engine, so I'll inspect the timing belt tonight.
I'll see how the air filter looks too.

I have heard that Chat GPT is getting pretty good with translations, I went ahead and purchased that manual.

Checking the air filter was a great idea, looks like a rodent got a free snack.

PXL_20230404_223125590.jpg

The timing belt actually looked pretty good to my eyes, and a bolt in the cover was missing, making me think that it was replaced at some point.
The serpentine belt was looking pretty cracked though, I'll add that to my work list.

Any chance of a few engine bay photos?

Superb engine bay photos thanks.

Fascinating.. 1HZ tech (rotary pump, indirect injection, non turbo).. in a 4 cyl/Front wheel drive config.

Nice Car
The sticker on the top of the T-belt cover says 100,000 on it. Not sure if that's supposed to be a designation for the required iteration or the mileage it was last done.
I think it is supposed to be the latter, thus giving you a good point in time (or rather a position in the current mileage), assuming your odometer had not been replaced
Good luck

Nice Car
The sticker on the top of the T-belt cover says 100,000 on it. Not sure if that's supposed to be a designation for the required iteration or the mileage it was last done.
I think it is supposed to be the latter, thus giving you a good point in time (or rather a position in the current mileage), assuming your odometer had not been replaced
Good luck
Thank you!

The sticker on the T-belt cover is the replacement interval, 100,000km. But most are recommended to be replaced every 5-7 years, despite mileage.
There are only 58,000km on the dash right now, which lines up well to the auction mileage out of Japan.

So I'm thinking that either it was A: T-belt replaced in Japan some time before it was shipped overseas, just due to age. Or B: The odometer was replaced, rolled over or something fishy before it went up for auction in Japan, and it was replaced at some mileage interval.
I don't think there's a great way to know for sure.

Despite when it was changed last, I'm going to replace it somewhat soon. I ordered replacement belts last night, and will replace them all just for peace of mind.

Superb engine bay photos thanks.

Fascinating.. 1HZ tech (rotary pump, indirect injection, non turbo).. in a 4 cyl/Front wheel drive config.
I love how simple it is, and how little engine related electronics there are .
There are a lot of small details on this car that I really love, the head badge, green side markers on the hood and power folding side mirrors.
IMG_1071.jpg

Here's a vid of where I picked it up from.

That is interesting, I thought they should designate "last replacement " .
Probably a market or model related nuance.
Here is mine with last replacement

20230407_172849.jpg

That corolla is super cool, and it looks like you have a nice fleet of kei trucks too.

That corolla is super cool, and it looks like you have a nice fleet of kei trucks too.
Agreed, this is like the worlds most interesting man.

Lol I wish the fleet of mini trucks were mine! That photo was from the people I bought the car from. They primarily import mini trucks from Japan and they sold me the Corolla.

Yay! Another CE95 owner! I was lonely. I too have a 1990 Corolla. However with quite a few more miles on it. She's a great little car. I consistently get 45-50+mpg, albeit at a pretty slow pace. She'll go pretty much anywhere off-road, and darn near climb a tree. Other than the belts, don't forget to check the alternator belt. It is separate from the serpentine belt. Oh, and there is a factory repair manual for the car. It is HUGE. I bought one a couple years back.
1681843981661.jpeg
1681844013489.jpeg
1681844050647.jpeg
1681844092122.jpeg
1681844106917.jpeg
1681843981661.jpeg

Those are some pretty killer pics! I dig the wheels!

I will be replacing all of the belts in the engine bay just for peace of mind. Right now I'm getting around 36-38 mpg, a good portion of my driving is on the highway between 65-70mph. I'm going to replace the fuel filter to see if that helps fuel economy.

Have you found the service manual useful? And where did you find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom