Intermittent Hard Shifts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched the forum and cannot find the exact issue I am having and need some help troubleshooting/diagnosing the next step. ‘99 LC 145,000. I bought it last year at 135,000 and since purchasing I have replaced all fluids and have flushed 3-4 quarts one three different occasions.

The Truck has some deferred maintenance and the truck would hard shift 75% of the time and be fine the other 25%. The first flush helped tremendously and on the other two occasions I flushed the fluid as I felt the hard shifts start to come back. It will hard shift a little bit and then the next time be ok. It makes no difference if it’s cold outside or warm, trans temp cold or hot, city or freeway, normal shift points or ECT on. It’s not an incredible hard shift but is noticeable. Transmission level is correct.

This time in particular I have noticed that the revs will hang a little bit past the normal shift point and then I will feel the TC disengage and then a hard shift. This isn’t a “Wham” shift, just a surge. I flushed another 3-4 quarts a week or so ago. The filter has not been replaced.

No codes are thrown so I am wondering if a flush/filter is the next step. I don’t have much experience with solenoids but wonder if that could be worth pursuing. While I’m doing the filter should I replace the solenoids as a while-your-in-there measure? Or are these issues a sign that things will worsen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I HAVE SAME TLC. I has a soft surge or hitch from 1st to 2nd. Not a jerk or noise. But if I take it slow I dont have it so really when getting onto freeway etc. Ask 2 mechanics and said dont worry unless it gets worse or hear noises.

BTW I have had mine 15 years and I can tell you what you'll need to repair & watch for.

I'd change the trans filter and then drive it until it gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom