Intermittent cutting out/loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

***EDIT: for anyone reading this thread, the below snippet from the FSM is WRONG. It has a typo. See later posts for more info. The rest of this post has been left unaltered for posterity, but I misdiagnosed my VAF as being faulty when in reality the FSM is erroneous********

May have just made a breakthrough:

vafmeter2-jpg.138490

IMG_7659.jpg

It reads about 1700-1800 ohms when fully open. Both measurements are out of spec.
Doesn't explain the intermittent absolute loss of power, but might explain lower than expected mpg (11-12 average)

Last edited:

vafmeter2-jpg.138490

View attachment 2781165

It reads about 1700-1800 ohms when fully open. Both measurements are out of spec.
Doesn't explain the intermittent absolute loss of power, but might explain lower than expected mpg (11-12 average)
Try a loaner from a working LC to see if that's the problem. If the afm is faulty, it will not run properly.

apparently not. Is there a way to recalibrate?
Typically you send it to shop that do the adjustment and issue the cert. Alternatively you could get your hands on a couple resistors- 600ohm and 1200ohm (or something close) then measure those with your metre. If the metre shows a reading within the tolerance band of the resistors then you know it is fairly accurate.

Typically you send it to shop that do the adjustment and issue the cert. Alternatively you could get your hands on a couple resistors- 600ohm and 1200ohm (or something close) then measure those with your metre. If the metre shows a reading within the tolerance band of the resistors then you know it is fairly accurate.
I thought you meant my air flow meter. The ohm meter is pretty accurate, I tested my throttle position sensors and both came back within spec, although I haven't calibrated it... The temperature ohm readings on the VAF came back dead on, so by this logic, either the thermometer in the VAF and my ohm meter are wrong, or the VAF air flow readings are wrong. Either way this points to a fault in the VAF.

There is this guy who refurbishes AFM's.

There is this guy who refurbishes AFM's.
Yeah probably will go to him.

For anyone else who might stumble upon this thread, here are the things I am replacing:

EFI relay (toyota)
Fuel pump & sock (denso)
Fuel Pump Relay (toyota)
Main Relay (denso)
Fuel pressure regulator (toyota)
Air tube (toyota)

I am also sending my VAF to be rebuilt.
Will likely send injectors to be cleaned/flowed.
Buying used spares of igniter and fuel pump resistor.

If I don't reply to this thread again, assume one of these things fixed it. If it does not, I'll be back.

vafmeter2-jpg.138490

View attachment 2781165

All, for anyone reading this thread, THE FSM IS WRONG, IT HAS A TYPO.
It shows the rightmost two pins as being E2 & VS. This is incorrect. It should be the second and third from the right.

Now I just sent my perfectly good VAF to south carolina for rebuild for no reason.
And I chewed out the repair guy saying he needs to go look at the FSM, when in reality the FSM is wrong.

Thanks Toyota

Attached is the corrected version.

EG-292.PNG

Attachments

• volumeai_CORRECTED.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom