Interior Light (or lack thereof) Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the lower light on the door work? I am experiencing the same issue with my DS rear door. The dome light will not turn on when the door is open, and the other night I happened to notice that the small light on the inside of the door was also not working. I am not sure if there is some kind of correlation with the 2, I was going to dig into it this weekend and do a little troubleshooting.

I have a similar issue. (96 FZJ80) When either of the front doors are open, the dome light will come on as well as the in-door lights. When I open the rear doors, the in-door lights will come on, but NOT the dome light. I am guessing it is a grounding issue somewhere in this truck. My passenger front window works randomly in spite of cleaning or swapping switches (master on the drivers door as well as passenger door) Any suggestions welcomed.

Where is the switch for the rear hatch? My rear hatch will turn on the door lights, but not the dome lights.

Sully said:
The PSR switch still doesn't register that the door is open (the alarm rearms itself after 30 seconds, even when the door is open, and the door open light on the dash stays off), but the other switches register an open door (both on the dash and with the alarm).

I had some electrical gremlins myself. Turned out to be my factory alarm and the after market alarm. Both were interfering with electrical stuff. Yanked both of the systems out. All good.

Figured it was time to raise this one from the dead. Is there a commonality here? It seems there two different problems: door switch problems and fuse-to-light problems.

When I open my doors I get no lights. The key buzzer goes off though if I left the key in, so the switch is working. From the FSM: EA1 is plugged in. E12 appears fine. Ignition light only works sometimes. Dome lights have never worked. No interior light has worked. Fuse is good - tried multiples. Fuse is getting power on both sides. Next step is following the wire and testing along its length... before I do that, is there a common thread here? I havent really heard solutions for this style problem.

Thanks - maybe I will figure it out sooner though.

My problems like this were resolved by pulling the wiring that goes down the driver's side A-pillar and correcting a break. I also had several bad/corroded wires in the driver's footwell area where a few wires were coming out of the back of their connectors. Good luck!

Well what do you know, I must have had a bad connection too. I was playing around in footwell tonight, buttoned it up because I was done for the night, went to get in after and what do you know??? Light! Mist be a bad connection or a loose wire etc for me.

I'm necromancing this thread, hoping for a pointer.

map light works manually. key buzzer sounds if i open the door and leave the keys in. headlights stay on until i open the driver's door. door lights light up when the door is open.

map light does not turn on when the either or both front doors open.

any suggestions? I'm going to poke around in the footwell.

as always, thanks in advance

^ maplight is independent, i.e. not connected to any of the door switch stuff. At least on my '97...

cheers,
george.

@george_tlc Thank you. That explains it. Now I'm on to figure out why I have no current at the dome light, which I'm hoping will switch with the doors!
As opposed to guessing, you should download the Toyota EWD from the resources section.

Dome lights not working seems to be a problem. This is what I found in my 1996 HDJ81 24 valve diesel. It is an old thread but maybe of help.

Front dome works.
Ignition ring light works.
All dash lights work.
Door open light works.
Key alarm works.

No back passenger door dome works.
No back hatch dome works.

But the dome lights at the back do work in the on position.

I have changed the fuse and replaced all the globes. Did not work.
I then replaced the door switches for all the doors even the hatch at the back. Did not work.

Out of desperation I opened the wire loom on the floor of the drivers door side.

Lo and behold the wires

20220806_114202.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom