Interest in RCV CV Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I've been digging around in the mud 🤣, looking at options for CV Axles for the 100 series, and it seems like we've been missing out. I reached out to RCV and it seems like custom axles for our "trucks" are with in reach! I'm gauging initial interest from folks who are looking to upgrade. RCV would need to put in a minimum order for the half shafts.

Specs would likely be similar to these:

After strengthening the front axles, what part of the front end becomes the fuse? The front diff?

Boy $2k is really hard to justify...

Already is, peeps break the diff long before CV's.
That's good to know. I've been wondering what the weak link is with OEM parts. I think I've seen OEMs for $400'ish a piece? If it's $900 for factory vs $2K for aftermarket and diff is still "the fuse", hard to see the value offered....but I'm certainly open to learning more.

Biggest benefit would be the boots. Next, if you've got an ARB in the front, you've got a pretty bomb proof front end.
This is what I'm after. If I can break a diff with ARB + RCV axle shaft, then I need a different rig, or need to take some driving lessons

You can still break the diff with an ARB and stock CV's. BTDT
That said, it's not that common but does happen.

You can still break the diff with an ARB and stock CV's. BTDT
That said, it's not that common but does happen.
Totally understand that. Nothing is indestructible. Working to build my rig into a tough, long lasting vehicle I can take anywhere and not need to lug a trailer full of spare parts. From the factory they are almost this, just looking to shore up certain "weak" points so that breakage is less likely.
The news from RCV is that with enough volume, ~100 sets, the pricing could approach the ~$1000 number, to me, thats a no-brainer. Too bad I don't run a 4x4 shop...

1596654358975.png

These are great resources for the history of the discussion. Looking to gauge current interest.

Thanks for the explanation on value of RCVs....I know I have a boot that has a weird indent on it and probably will need replacing anyway. For $1000 I'd be in.

Starting to breach into SAS territory

If you've got a lead on a SAS for $2000, please let me know where I can mail the check!

Using the word "breach" very loosely. But if @TRAIL TAILOR is quoting $2k for the brackets and plates I much rather go further north towards an SAS than spend $2k for CVs and still have IFS.

Using the word "breach" very loosely. But if @TRAIL TAILOR is quoting $2k for the brackets and plates I much rather go further north towards an SAS than spend $2k for CVs and still have IFS.
For me, there's no way I would feel comfortable doing a SAS myself. Looking into it, seems like the north side is like $12-15k with all the parts you need. For me, "never" breaking a CV is worth 2k and the no questions asked warranty is pretty killer. Getting enough interest to where it gets down to the $1k level seems pretty unbeatable

For me, there's no way I would feel comfortable doing a SAS myself. Looking into it, seems like the north side is like $12-15k with all the parts you need. For me, "never" breaking a CV is worth 2k and the no questions asked warranty is pretty killer. Getting enough interest to where it gets down to the $1k level seems pretty unbeatable

Yeah, that's a whole lot more north than I anticipated. I've done lots of SAS on Tacos and 1st Gens Runners, but never a 100 (obviously). When you said $1000 I thought you meant per side. If this is a set, against what OE is priced at, that's a no brainer.

Seems like the most common cause of oem cv failure is overdue maintenance. Leaky boots that run bearings dry or else loose snap rings that wear splines. I don’t remember reading about broken cvs here at least in the last few years, though I’m sure they happen occasionally. Sounds like these have maybe tougher boots than oem. Are they hardened in a superior way that would prevent spline wear and/or does the warranty cover spline/bearing wear? If so, it might be worth it just for lifetime warranty. Otherwise, I can’t believe fit would be superior to oem and they’d still likely need to be replaced as often. I’m curious how many here have broken cvs? With all the bad experiences with aftermarket shafts and vibes etc, I’m not sure it’d be worth the risk unless you’re running 37s and have legitimate breaking concerns. But then we’re back into SAS territory. Maybe we can just buy the boots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom