Interest in RCV CV Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An alternate option if you can't get RCV axles: you can get a part time/2WD kit. That way if you do happen to break an axle you can just disengage the front hubs and drive home in 2WD without spinning the CVs. Just an easy alternative to actually doing a trail repair and removing a broken CV. Obviously there might be scenarios where this wouldn't be ideal, like if you break a CV halfway through the rubicon or something. This is my plan - most of the trails I run, I bet I could make it out with a locked rear end and/or some pulling from a friend.

An alternate option if you can't get RCV axles: you can get a part time/2WD kit. That way if you do happen to break an axle you can just disengage the front hubs and drive home in 2WD without spinning the CVs. Just an easy alternative to actually doing a trail repair and removing a broken CV. Obviously there might be scenarios where this wouldn't be ideal, like if you break a CV halfway through the rubicon or something. This is my plan - most of the trails I run, I bet I could make it out with a locked rear end and/or some pulling from a friend.

I just need them to have enough stock to sell me only the locking hubs! I have near new factory CV axles right now.

Seems like the most common cause of oem cv failure is overdue maintenance. Leaky boots that run bearings dry or else loose snap rings that wear splines. I don’t remember reading about broken cvs here at least in the last few years, though I’m sure they happen occasionally. Sounds like these have maybe tougher boots than oem. Are they hardened in a superior way that would prevent spline wear and/or does the warranty cover spline/bearing wear? If so, it might be worth it just for lifetime warranty. Otherwise, I can’t believe fit would be superior to oem and they’d still likely need to be replaced as often. I’m curious how many here have broken cvs? With all the bad experiences with aftermarket shafts and vibes etc, I’m not sure it’d be worth the risk unless you’re running 37s and have legitimate breaking concerns. But then we’re back into SAS territory. Maybe we can just buy the boots?

I have broken a few CV axles in my truck. One was probably because it was older and had been wheeled on hard. It snapped with a part failure in the boot. I believe it was the cage that held the bearings IIRC. The other was the on Golden Spike when I was locked in the front with the wheels turned at a hard obstacle. The tulip itself failed. Took out the ABS sensor too. That sucked. It only had 1500 miles on it when it failed.

To the OP. I just don't see how you will get 100 sets. What does pricing look like at 20 sets? That seems like a reasonable and much more attainable number. I would be interested in a set if the price was somewhat reasonable.

Last edited:
I just need them to have enough stock to sell me only the locking hubs! I have near new factory CV axles right now.

I have broken a few CV axles in my truck. One was probably because it was older and had been wheeled on hard. One snapped with a part failure in the boot. I believe it was the cage that held the bearings. The other was the on Golden Spike when I was locked in the front with the wheels turned at a hard obstacle. The tulip itself failed. Took out the ABS sensor too. That sucked.

To the OP. I just don't see how you will get 100 sets. What does pricing look like at 20 sets? That seems like a reasonable and much more attainable number. I would be interested in a set if the price was somewhat reasonable.
Dude same here! They’re probably tired of me calling about availability. Sounds like Covid issues with the port or parts pipeline.

I have broken a few CV axles in my truck. One was probably because it was older and had been wheeled on hard. One snapped with a part failure in the boot. I believe it was the cage that held the bearings. The other was the on Golden Spike when I was locked in the front with the wheels turned at a hard obstacle. The tulip itself failed. Took out the ABS sensor too. That sucked.

Only pricing I've gotten so far is ~$2000 for 10 sets and ~$1000 for 100 sets

Dude same here! They’re probably tired of me calling about availability. Sounds like Covid issues with the port or parts pipeline.

Please let me know if they ever sell you a set. I will be in for one as well!

I struggle to justify 2k and I wheel my truck hard. I would be all in at 1k (or a bit more), but I am not sure that we would really find 98 other people who were ready to actually buy when it came time.

Please let me know if they ever sell you a set. I will be in for one as well!

I struggle to justify 2k and I wheel my truck hard. I would be all in at 1k (or a bit more), but I am not sure that we would really find 98 other people who were ready to actually buy when it came time.
I wheeled for years with one OEM and one who knows what brand, both perpetually leaky. I didn’t even think to be concerned about it until I read everyone’s posts on the superiority of OEM axles and then I started getting worried. Haha. No breaks yet though

That’s really not too bad - I’d pay that if they could get us extended length CVs and the collective mud wisdom figures out how to double our droop with those CVs and some new shocks and UCAs...

Interesting. Definitely not going to get 100 committed but maybe a few vendors can pick up some larger orders to help get there. How certain is the batch of 20 at $2000?

OEM Toyota CV's for the 100 series are very robust under most operating conditions up to 34-35" tires; its not worth upgrading to chromoly RCV for IFS suspension IMO. OEM boots btw are superior to aftermarket neoprene if longevity is your goal. I think 100 series IFS suspension limitations make chromoly axles an unnecessary spend. Prob why RCV hasn't developed them already. Money spent on gears and lockers would yield better bang for the buck.

My thoughts:
  • Ring gear, pinion, flange will likely fail before the CV
  • Very few reported CV failures due to actual axle "breakage"
  • Taller-wider-heavier tires (and related driving skill ) impact axle life more than anything. Until you get to say 37"+ tires, I dont see the need and at that point you're already headed into substantial mods: body lift, gearing, fender trimming and more likely moving towards SAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom