intake manifold removal, brake booster replacment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey, first time poster in the 80 section. normally i am in the 60 section but i am helping a friend replace the brake booster in his fzj80. it was apparent from the get go that the intake manifold was going to have to come off. so we proceeded to do so and had one hell of a time. it appears that the entire wiring harness snakes thru it between 2 of the runners. there dosent seem to be a quick disconnect anywhere eaither, so whats one to do? i broke the oil pressure sender plug off, so i need a new one of those...

how do you regulars get the intake manifold off?
this thing has 331,000 miles on it, and its a bitch to take apart.
SethsFZJ80004.jpg

thanks for any help guys, nate

Ummmmmmm....in the FSM it just shows removing the four bolts from what looks to be the inside of the firewall. Are you sure the booster won't come off if you do that? Is it really necessary to pull the intake ???!!!!!

if you just need more room to work once you unbolt the lower intake manifold you can move it around quite a bit with the wires still running through the runners. you can just tie it back in a certain direction to gain access to other areas. thats what a lot of people do when making space to replace the head gasket. those wires are just too much to fool with.

As medro mentioned it's not necessary to remove the intake.

Slightly off topic:

Since you've taken it this far down and since the rig has 331k on the clock you might have your buddy send his injectors out for service and clean out/de-carbon the manifold and TB. I had my intake off a few weeks ago and IIRC there are five or so large connectors near the starter (wrapped in foam), the sensors along the block below the manifold and the alternator & distributor harness. Once that's free it "should" thread back through the lower manifold. If time allows I would recommend having the manifolds hot tanked to get all of the crap out of the nooks and crannies. Take the time/money and replace all of the metal gaskets, rubber bits for the injectors and vac hoses. Not a bad job at all or that time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom