Instrument cluster back lighting dim out around 10mph SMD LED 2003 lexus gx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

are these the bulbs?

when you mention re-doing the entire board for even brightness, do you mean just the white bulbs on the speedo and tach, all the white bulbs, or all the leds on the board? im leaning towards just the speedo and tach, but not sure.
That would be fine, symmetry is the key here.. in my case I’m doing the speedo tach fuel and thermostat as well as the height control and behind the display for mileage and what not

oh and I’ll be replacing the ones in the clock unit above the radio/nav

Last edited:
A dab of white or clear silicone seal does a good job of diffusing too.

That would be fine, symmetry is the key here.. in my case I’m doing the speedo tach fuel and thermostat as well as the height control and behind the display for mileage and what not

That sounds like the best plan. That’s all the white ones, yeah? Not doing the the speedo arms, or prndl lights?
Good call on the clock, too. Those are pretty dull.

Heads up, there aren't easily replaceable LEDs in that unit. It's a segmented display sandwiched in glass.

PXL_20210220_190452446.jpg

Have not tried this on the GX470 display but ran into the same problem with our GE wall oven VFD. The display segments were dim. Replaced a B+ side capacitor which increased the supply voltage. Helped a little bit. Link: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair - Badcaps Forums - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66430
Here is a more daring approach. Briefly overdrive the segments to burn off oxidization.
Vacuum fluorescent display rejuvenation...SUCCESS - Page 1 - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/vacuum-fluorescent-display-rejuvenation/

i have a spare cluster if anyone needs a core. throw me like $25 and its yours!
(i'm in torrance CA but i can ship if need be)

i have a spare cluster if anyone needs a core. throw me like $25 and its yours!
(i'm in torrance CA but i can ship if need be)
Does this work across different model years? If we can confirm it’ll work in an ‘04, I’d be interested in snagging this from you. I’m s*** at soldering. So id love a spare to avoid ruining my only gauge cluster board.

Does this work across different model years? If we can confirm it’ll work in an ‘04, I’d be interested in snagging this from you. I’m s*** at soldering. So id love a spare to avoid ruining my only gauge cluster board.
I’m not sure about other years, but it came out of my 2004 gx470 so it should work on yours!

Instead of messing with replacing so many tiny SMDs, could you just solder in premade led rings? My 0-10 is dead as well, kind of sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom