Installing the Warn M12 in the ARB Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Ok, you guys convinced me and I went with the Warn M12. Found a great deal. See the T-max winch post in outfitting.

The search I did said you needed to drill two holes. Just want to know if these holes come after the winch is bolted on or before. A little more detail on the holes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Warning!!! Do not drill any holes in the bumper. You do not need to drill any holes in the bumper. No holes in the bumper OK? I know two people who made that mistake-at first it looks like you do, but you don't.

You do need to drill 2 holes in the fairlead. If you place the fairlead in the bumper in the proper location, you will see where the holes in the fairlead need to be. The holes if I remember are 1/2 inch and it requires a drill with lots of horsepower as that metal is very thick and hard. I'll try and snap a pic later.

Do yourself a favor and do not drill any holes in the bumper.

Here are the pics. The first shows the position of the fairlead in the bumper, the second is a detail of the bolts that bolt in the fairlead and the winch. The hole with no bolt is the factory one from warn. What some people do is hold up the fairlead and drill a hole in the bumper to match the fairlead hole. That is wrong and will not allow you to mount the winch. Instead, hold up the fairlead and mark the existing hole in the BUMPER on the back of the fairlead. Then drill the fairlead. The bolt goes through the fairlead, through the bumper and screws into a threaded hole in the winch itself.
Winch1.jpg
Winch2.jpg

Thanks Andrew, I'll run out and drill those holes in the bumper

Not!

So, it looks like I can install the Winch then drill the fairlane and install that, Is that right? Two bolts to hold the winch while I drill the fairlane.

Never mind. Its obvious when you take it out of the box. Drill holes in fairlane first

Looks like the fairlead is now too high in that pic. Isn't the fairlead set up at the factory for the spool size of the winch so that the cable passes through it with minimal arch from the first wrap to the last?

While looking at my setup it would seem that I would want to use the existing holes and place a few washers on top to take up the space between the fairlead and the bumper. Drilling new holes to move the fairlead up against the bumper would cause the cable to have to roll up and over the bottom roller reducing it's effectiveness, right?

I did it the way Andrew said and it fit perfect. I have it all bolted in and tomorrow I will hook it up. Man that thing is heavy. You need a good jack to do this and a crow bar helped to adjust it until I git the screw in.

landtank said:
Looks like the fairlead is now too high in that pic. Isn't the fairlead set up at the factory for the spool size of the winch so that the cable passes through it with minimal arch from the first wrap to the last?

I'm not really sure. It only fits one way. With all the cable on the drum, the cable arches a tiny bit. When spooled out, it's a straight shot. On the fairlead, I replaced the vertical roller pins with 5/8 bolts as Warn reccomends. It does make for a more soild and integrated mount.

Romer-That was fast. Nice going. I had to raise the winch into place with a tow strap and then bolt everything together.

If you wind the cable off the winch before you work with it it will make it nearly 100#'s lighter! Food for thought next time! Makes working with it much easier!

Uncle Ben said:
If you wind the cable off the winch before you work with it it will make it nearly 100#'s lighter! Food for thought next time! Makes working with it much easier!

So you're saying the entire rest of the winch only weighs 25 pounds? :D

I have a spare cable in my garage and would estimate it weighs 35-40 pounds, still your point is well taken.

The fairlead that came with my winch was pre drilled. Now the top of the fairlead frame doesn't touch the ARB piece but it does look to be drilled properly for the winch.

I just assumed that that would be the case with all winches, that the fairlead would be drilled to match the winch. Seems strange to me that Warn requires you to drill the fairlead to install it.

It will fit the winch as delivered. However, if you have an ARB and you want to top of the rollers to go in the slot that was made for them (See pic above) then you need to drill a hole so the Fairlane will be about 2 inches higher than it would otherwise.

So it's an astetic thing then? Is there a reason to raise the fairlead other than that. I only ask as I just bought longer bolts and kept the fairlead in the factory position figuring they new best of how to guide the cable from the spool.

Just seems to be more sturdy up against the top of the ARB groove with the pins through the holes. I suppose longer bolts and spacers would be good to

Cruiserdrew said:
So you're saying the entire rest of the winch only weighs 25 pounds? :D

I have a spare cable in my garage and would estimate it weighs 35-40 pounds, still your point is well taken.

:doh: Feels like 100#'s? Pulled that one out of my arse. Just looked it up and 125' of 3/8 (7x19) wire rope weighs in at about 31 pounds. Hey I was close at 100#'s. ;) OK OK so I was 69#'s off. But I will continue with the fact that 125' of 3/8 Amsteel blue with eye and 10' of abrasion sleeve weighs in at 5.8#'s. Now that I've successfully highjacked this thread I will quit rambling and let that dog lay while this dog tries to get the foot back out of his mouth....again.... Hope I left others nearly as confused as myself.... :eek:

As long as you know where your keys are, your OK (Inside Joke)

Romer said:
As long as you know where your keys are, your OK (Inside Joke)

Yup....Jake and Elwood live! :bounce:

landtank said:
So it's an astetic thing then? Is there a reason to raise the fairlead other than that. I only ask as I just bought longer bolts and kept the fairlead in the factory position figuring they new best of how to guide the cable from the spool.

It is a design thing. The "eyebrow" helps support the fairlead in sideways pulls. At least that is what ARB says. I would drill the two holes and install as per the instructions. Also it sits the fairlead up an inch and that helps with approach angle a little. I also believe the eyebrow gives a lot of structural support to the front of the face of the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom