Installing front CV/Half Shafts.....snap ring position make a difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing new front driveshafts, half shafts, cv shafts (whatever we all call them!) on my 98 LC100.
I watched a ton of videos, but in one the gent says "install with the open end of the snap ring facing downward".
So, I don't remember what side I put the open end of the snap ring....on one side.
And I"m wondering, should I pop it out and check it.
Or Rollllllll with it? Pun Intended!

If the inboard shaft snapped into the diff and won’t pull out easily, then it’s fine. The suggestion to orient the snap ring with open end facing downward is simply to help ease installation of the inboard shaft into the diff.

I start with putting it in with ring facing down and then rotate when tapping it in with a brass drift.
Sometime it seats right at first, other times you have to rotate it a bit.

It's because having the closed radius of the ring up top keeps it more centered on the shaft as noted.

A dab of #2 grease on the ring will hold it in place while you center and push the new CV in.

Thank you a ton responders! I was wondering if I had to pull this sucker out again. Super helpful. Appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom