Install of Slee Offroads IBS Dual Batery System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i decided to go ahead and take the plunge so i can start adding power inverters and other stuff to help this become my camping vehicle. The system seems to be very good and I will probably catch some heat for the price but that was not what matters to me. I plan to keep this vehicle for a very long time and want to make sure the best of what I can get is in it so I dont have to worry about failure. So far everything Slee has supplied has been no question the best example of what customer service should be. Thank you Christo. I started off by installing the slee washer bottle relocator and another battery tray for the second battery.
IBS (2).jpg
IBS (4).jpg
IBS (5).jpg

Dang Kirk your 80 is shapping up pretty nice. When are you installing the bumper?

Where to Put it

I needed to figure out where I wanted the monitor to be so that it would not be a distraction but it could also be easily accessed. I decided on the console next to the Ebrake. Once I decided on this I could run my wire from there to the engine bay through the firewall at the top on the drivers side. You need to figure out where the unit will be to make sure you don't short yourself of wire. I actually ended up moving it closer to the cup holder on the console.
IBS (3).jpg

Bumper

I got the bumper on and actually wired it up for fog lights with the slee aux harness when i did the dual batteries. Ill post up another picture but if you look under my thread "New to me LX450" I have a lot of picture of it as well as some new ones with the bumper.

Running Wire

I put the wire under the console and up under the dash up through the firewall. After that I sent the black and red wire to the main battery along the fender and the green and blue wire over the firewall to the passenger side for the aux battery.
IBS (10).jpg
IBS (12).jpg

Wires

Red and Black on Main Battery
Blue and Green on Passenger side to aux battery
IBS (13).jpg
IBS (14).jpg

Power Cables

I ran the power cables under the front cross beam in front of the radiator. I put the negative cable from one battery to the other and the power cable ran from the main battery to the relay that I put on the passenger side. I also ran the power cable from the aux battery to the relay.
IBS (17).jpg
IBS (18).jpg

Connecting the Relay

The relay had to have both batteries and the green wire from the control module attached to it. It also came with a jumper wire in the kit that is installed on it. In the picture the main battery is the one with the jumper going to it. The aux battery is the other one. The green wire from the controller box is the other wire attached to it. I ended up putting the relay on the passenger side fender using one of the bolts from the washer bottle and putting it in a hole with a nut that is right above the top bolt hole for the washer bottle. Worked out very good for space and ease of install.
IBS (20).jpg
IBS (21).jpg

Batteries Installed

I ended up getting a Large Marine Battery from Walmart because I wanted to make sure everything was going to work according to plan before I plunge for a high dollar battery. Plus I have used these types on boat for quite a while with no problem. I used a 27DC battery for the aux battery. In order to make it fit i trimmed a small bit of metal off of the fender and after that had not problem. I was able to use the factory battery hold down and everything went together nice and tight. The small wire on the positive battery terminal for the aux battery is the blue wire from the control box.
IBS (19).jpg
IBS (22).jpg
IBS (23).jpg

All Hooked Up

After you have attached all of the cables where they belong and everything is tightened down you should be good to go. You can now plug in the box and start the engine to make sure all is good. According to the paperwork with it it reads the volts available on each battery as well as the amount of charge going into the batteries. According to the LEDs everything should be OK. Ill let you know how it works out for the long haul once I get lots of other things hooked up to it. I also have my eye on a solar panel that plugs into the system and making a mount to put it on my roofrack that I dont have yet. :grinpimp: Overall the install was very easy just took a little while as I soldered all connections to ensure they had good contact since this is one of the critical systems on the vehicle. Took about 2-3 hours and about :banana:difficulty if you have ever done wiring before and :banana::banana: if not. Very good mod if it works as it should and coming from Slee I have not doubts in it. Happy Wheeling
IBS (24).jpg
IBS (26).jpg

nice job, a dual battery system is on my long list of things after sliders... stock lift kit, roof rack, rear bumper w/all the fittings....... haha

nice job, a dual battery system is on my long list of things after sliders... stock lift kit, roof rack, rear bumper w/all the fittings....... haha

This is starting to motivate me to install my dual battery system. I think my isolator is bad though, got to check that.

Glad I did It.

I'm glad I did it. I'm planning on adding a few power converters to the rig. I want a big one in the back and I'm gonna try to fit one in the place where the CD player is on the console so there will be some plugs there for passengers. Ive not seen anyone else do that and I think it would be a good mod. Have some switches on the dash to power them on and off. I'm trying to add a lot of things to the rig but I want to keep everything in it looking like it came that way from the factory as much as possible. I'm a big fan of cool gadgets but a clean install

nice work kirkagosto, i'll install mine tomorrow :)
just one question; the AUX batt -ve should be grounded to the body as well? or just connected to the Main Batt -ve (which should be grounded to the body and block)

I would think the aux battery should be grounded separately since the Pos cable is the only thing switched.

in the installation instructions it says "run a by-pass cable between the -ve of the 2 batt for better winching performance" they didn't mention the body ground.
mm i guess it should be by default, and for more winching i should add the bypass in addition. make sense?

battery cradle

I'm just wondering where you managed to get that cradle from

i'm in Australia and I can't find them anywhere i will need to fabricate which is not as nice and is far more work

Damn it if 'Mud' isn't a love/hate relationship.

I'm resurrecting this thread because it has the most detailed photos of the IBS installation and I'm totally on the fence regarding the best method to route the positive lead from main battery to the relay and the additional negative lead from main to aux for winching.

Option A) - The cheap @$$ in me says to route through the radiator support to conserve cable, reduce resistance, and reduce the wiring through the engine compartment.

Option B) - The safety/paranoid part of me says to route the leads down the fender, across the firewall, and back down the fender to reduce risk in the event of a front-end collision and the limited space available since the addition of the Slee harness. The stupid logic of this second scenario is I have an ARB front bumper so the probability of the radiator support and relevant cabling becoming a problem during a front-end collision is low.

Tell me I'm stupid and go with option ____!

I'm not familiar with the setup but I remember at the time not being all that gung ho with it. That being said I'm assuming the thing is fused. If it gets shorted then the fuse blows. It's what you want.

No fuses per instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom