install an indash double din dvd player help! help! help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up bros I really need your help
I had my brother install a indash double din dvd player, tv, reverse camera ect.
but he had a lot of problems with the ground on each speaker, well any way it is done but it sound crappppy and has that wining noise. I dont't think its hooked up right. I also bought the harness but we didnt use it cause my brother wanted to use the factory amp on the fac speakers so he just use the fac harness and taped into each wire. I also bought a 10" bazooker wich I didn't install yet with a four channel amp with built in cross over. How can i install it the right way with the harness I bought?
1 Do i have to remove the passenger seat?
2 exactly where does the after market harness plugs in to?
3 do I have to remove the fac amp?
4 which antana cable do I use the big or skinny one?
5 are all the speaker grounded already?
6 can you send me some pic cause I really dont want mess up the new dvd player? but the radio does look awsome as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

where do I start?

I had noise with my double din radio running through the factory amp also. If you have a four channel amp, might i recommend running the rear speakers off deck power, fronts and woofer off of the other two, unless the bazooka has its own amp.

I am not sure they make an aftermarket harness to bypass the factory amp, I had to hard wire mine, and yes need to remove pass. seat. I also had to jump my ign. and 12v constant wire once the factory amp was removed to have power up by the radio area.

use the big antenna wire

the speakers should not be "grounded" your noise is related to the factory amp.

hope some of this helps.

1 you do not have to go under the seat at all,you can connect everything right their in the dash.

2 The aftermarket harness connects to the fac harness in the dash.There is two kinds of aftermarket harness you can get. 1)Is the regular harness that plugs into the fac harness using the fac grd,pwr and pwr for the antenna,then you use the pwr amp from the head unit to pwr the Fac speakers.2)Which is the one i have,it plug into the Fac harness and you have four male RCA plugs that plugs into the DVD RCA cables Frt and rear.

3 no you don't.

4 Use the large antenna cable,the small one is for the antenna on the right rear side popout window,which is call a diversied antenna.If your DVD doesn't have one,leave it alone.

5 the factory speakers has already is grd in the amp that why you have a plus and minus wire,if you use the second harness you don't have to worry about it.If you use the first harness then you have to figure out which one is + and -.

6 dont have any pictures.

Just a thought, but when I had my system installed on my 99 I was told they had to bypass the factory amp with my new head unit. The theory was the factory radio sent out a very weak signal to the factory amp, which then made it stronger. They thought that the factory amp couldn't properly handle the allready strong signal from an aftermarket headunit.

Also, if you bought a quality head unit it should be as good or better than that toyota factory amp I suspect.

-Matt

80and100cruisers said:
Just a thought, but when I had my system installed on my 99 I was told they had to bypass the factory amp with my new head unit. The theory was the factory radio sent out a very weak signal to the factory amp, which then made it stronger. They thought that the factory amp couldn't properly handle the allready strong signal from an aftermarket headunit.

Also, if you bought a quality head unit it should be as good or better than that toyota factory amp I suspect.

-Matt

I have posted about this before. The stereo salesman didn't know what he was talking about. Just about every aftermarket deck puts out the weak signal that goes to the amp. That is what the RCA outputs on the back of the deck are for. The harness isn't carried by Best Buy or Circuit City, so they assume it doesn't exist. It does and it works great for me. Let me guess, he had to charge you to rewire the speakers. Also, any stereo install shop worth anything can easily make the harness for it.
Some have bypassed the amp and some have used the harness to use the amps power. I use the harness with my factory amp and think it sounds great. A high end aftermarket deck only puts out 23 watts RMS which isn't that much. I never was able to find out what the factory amp was rated at, but I would imagine it is atleast that although I am not sure.
As far as the original questions above.

Did you have a single or a 6 disc in dash cd player? They take different harnesses.
They reason you are getting the whining noise is because you are spliced into the wires and are getting a bad connection(bad ground) because of it. The harness, like I have with my single disc, should simply plug into your factory harness that came out of the back of the factory deck and connect directly to the harness for the new unit. Uses the factory amp with the factory speakers. Very simple install. No tapping in. And I have zero engine noise.

Last edited:
LonghornCruiser said:
I have posted about this before. The stereo salesman didn't know what he was talking about. Just about every aftermarket deck puts out the weak signal that goes to the amp. That is what the RCA outputs on the back of the deck are for. The harness isn't carried by Best Buy or Circuit City, so they assume it doesn't exist. It does and it works great for me. Let me guess, he had to charge you to rewire the speakers. Also, any stereo install shop worth anything can easily make the harness for it.
Some have bypassed the amp and some have used the harness to use the amps power. I use the harness with my factory amp and think it sounds great. A high end aftermarket deck only puts out 23 watts RMS which isn't that much. I never was able to find out what the factory amp was rated at, but I would imagine it is atleast that although I am not sure.
As far as the original questions above.

Did you have a single or a 6 disc in dash cd player? They take different harnesses.
They reason you are getting the whining noise is because you are spliced into the wires and are getting a bad connection(bad ground) because of it. The harness, like I have with my single disc, should simply plug into your factory harness that came out of the back of the factory deck and connect directly to the harness for the new unit. Uses the factory amp with the factory speakers. Very simple install. No tapping in. And I have zero engine noise.
thanks for responding I have a single disc factory player. and the harness I bought I think they said I have to plug that up to where the fac amp was pluged into. where can I get the one that you have that plugs right into the factory harness behind the radio unit not where the amp is, I think that is the one I have. where and how much is it? and how would I install a bazooka with and after market amp? and the new unit does not have a sub out put so how can I do that????

jersey1 said:
thanks for responding I have a single disc factory player. and the harness I bought I think they said I have to plug that up to where the fac amp was pluged into. where can I get the one that you have that plugs right into the factory harness behind the radio unit not where the amp is, I think that is the one I have. where and how much is it? and how would I install a bazooka with and after market amp? and the new unit does not have a sub out put so how can I do that????
Here is the harness I am using. @ $15 with shipping.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=14104

I put some helpful links on the FAQ page

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread....2373#post562373

What model deck did you get?

As far as connecting the sub amp, you could do it a few ways. Although, you won't get as good of an overall sound without the 3 separate channels from the deck (front, rear, sub).
I am assuming you have two channels (front/rear rcas) coming out of the back of your deck.

1. Best method. Use RCA combiners/splitters to have both your front and rear channels connected to the front audio rcas on the back of the new deck. This should work, but will not allow you to control the front and rear separately. The sub will connect to the rear channel rca. The fader will fade between your door speakers and your sub.

2. Use the combiner to connect both your rear and your sub RCAs together on the same channel. Not as recommended, because you can't change any of the sound settings on the sub thru the deck without changing the rear door speakers. This all depends on what kind of sound settings your deck has. In other words, if you turn up the bass going to your sub, you are turning up the bass going to your rear door speakers.

3. Least efficient method. If your sub amp has a high-wattage input, you can connect to the actual speaker wires coming out of the deck, so you aren't going to need the combiner. With this method, you will still run into the same problems as indicated in option 2 and the sound won't be as clean.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

jahmaka said:

hmm. When I was looking, Circuit City and Best Buy had no idea of any harness. Best Buy usually only carries Metra and Circuit City only carries Scotshe. Neither of those "big boy" harness makers make one for the cruiser. Looks like you found an Circuit City install tech that isn't ignorant and did some research.

Thanks alot Longhorn and Jamaka I ordered the harness and will see how that works. know how you recamend I install the bozooka tube with an aftermarket amp

jersey1 said:
Thanks alot Longhorn and Jamaka I ordered the harness and will see how that works. know how you recamend I install the bozooka tube with an aftermarket amp

see four posts up...

LonghornCruiser said:
2. Use the combiner to connect both your rear and your sub RCAs together on the same channel. Not as recommended, because you can't change any of the sound settings on the sub thru the deck without changing the rear door speakers. This all depends on what kind of sound settings your deck has. In other words, if you turn up the bass going to your sub, you are turning up the bass going to your rear door speakers.

Less Recommended???

I would disagree on this... the second method that you listed seems preferable to me.

The majority of amplifiers have adjustments (gain) for bass and treble. It seems to me that it would be better to retain the functionality lost by method 1 and simply use the adjustments on the amp to compensate.

For instance, you can set the rear speakers to sound the way you like by adjusting the settings on the deck...then adjust the amp to set the bass from the sub relative to the rear speakers…once again until it sounds good to you.

From that point on, when you adjust the settings on the deck the sound will always increase on both the rear speakers and the sub, but the difference will remain relative to how you originally set it.

Of course the only difference in the way I suggest is that you have to put the speakers and sub on separate amps. Or maybe a single amp that has separate gain controls for each channel…but I have not come across one of those.

LonghornCruiser said:
hmm. When I was looking, Circuit City and Best Buy had no idea of any harness. Best Buy usually only carries Metra and Circuit City only carries Scotshe. Neither of those "big boy" harness makers make one for the cruiser. Looks like you found an Circuit City install tech that isn't ignorant and did some research.
Thanks to longhorn and jamaka I picked the harness up from curcuitcity yesterday and tha sh*t works like a F**king Charm. big difference in the noise and sound of the radio. My bro must have wired somethingwrong (aleast he tried). I dont know jack s*** about installing radios but with the little instruction sheet that came with the harness that shows you where each wire and rca jack goes, I felt like a freeking Pro.
Once again fellas thanks for all your input and advise, cause who know how long it would have been before i screwed up my radio with my bro installation.
I will post some pics so you guys can see (your work). Now I have to install my reverse camera, TV ant, boozka and amp. I already bought every thing maybe tomorrow when it stops raining (its been pouring for the last 8 days) I will try and get this done.

xumFJ40 said:
Less Recommended???

I would disagree on this... the second method that you listed seems preferable to me.

The majority of amplifiers have adjustments (gain) for bass and treble. It seems to me that it would be better to retain the functionality lost by method 1 and simply use the adjustments on the amp to compensate.

For instance, you can set the rear speakers to sound the way you like by adjusting the settings on the deck...then adjust the amp to set the bass from the sub relative to the rear speakers…once again until it sounds good to you.

From that point on, when you adjust the settings on the deck the sound will always increase on both the rear speakers and the sub, but the difference will remain relative to how you originally set it.

Of course the only difference in the way I suggest is that you have to put the speakers and sub on separate amps. Or maybe a single amp that has separate gain controls for each channel…but I have not come across one of those.

Different strokes for different folks.

I like being able to turn the sub all the way down when I have certain people in the car. If I am giving my mother or grandma a ride, I don't want to bass them out. We aren't talking about a weak factory sub. We are talking about a powered bazooka. And I would prefer to not have to go and manually disconnect the sub amp to do so. The first setup allows you to turn the sub all the way off from the drivers seat and keep all the door speakers, while setup 2 you would lose the rear speakers by fading it off.

None of these setups would be my choice. That is why I made sure to get the sub out on my deck. So to me this is all moot. :)

jersey1 said:
Thanks to longhorn and jamaka I picked the harness up from curcuitcity yesterday and tha sh*t works like a F**king Charm. big difference in the noise and sound of the radio. My bro must have wired somethingwrong (aleast he tried). I dont know jack s*** about installing radios but with the little instruction sheet that came with the harness that shows you where each wire and rca jack goes, I felt like a freeking Pro.
Once again fellas thanks for all your input and advise, cause who know how long it would have been before i screwed up my radio with my bro installation.
I will post some pics so you guys can see (your work). Now I have to install my reverse camera, TV ant, boozka and amp. I already bought every thing maybe tomorrow when it stops raining (its been pouring for the last 8 days) I will try and get this done.

Glad it worked, but you never answered.

What model deck did you get?

man my circuit citys don't carry that MAD TWH-14. I had to order it online. Hope it works for me also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom