Insight into an HJ61 for the long term (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It was suggested that I post this here as opposed the 60 series section:

I’ve read all the threads I can find on HJ61 vs such and such, using as a daily driver, etc., but I would love more input.

So I have a $25,000 to $30,000 budget, and I would go through Steve Jackson with Land Cruisers Direct. I really like the looks of the 60 series, and I prefer older vehicles. However, I’ve never driven, ridden in, and possibly never been in the same parking lot as a 60. The plan would be for the HJ61 to be a daily driver and lifetime family travel vehicle both on and off road for myself my wife and three kids, one in a car seat for a couple more years, one 14 year old, and an Aggie freshman. I know many people use them for exactly that, and I need some more info and opinions to help with this decision.

First off I’ve read that the leaf spring suspension can be made fairly comfortable. My wife has upper back problems. Normal driving doesn’t bother her, but jarring pot holes, railroad tracks, and such do. Taking any of these at a reasonable speed is usually fine. Is there any reason to be concerned about the 60 suspension as long as it is kept in good shape?

Secondly my budget can truly without guilt be spent on the vehicle I want, as long as it can carry enough people, and go where I want it to go. It’s still difficult to justify a 30+ year old vehicle when I could buy a slightly used Sequoia or Tundra or even new and finance. I wrench on my own Cruisers, and will continue to as much as I can. I have other vehicles if I need to wait for a part. Is it reasonable to plan on being able to use and maintain an HJ61 in the US for the next 10 or twenty or hopefully more years?

Thanks for your insight?

First off I’ve read that the leaf spring suspension can be made fairly comfortable. My wife has upper back problems. Normal driving doesn’t bother her, but jarring pot holes, railroad tracks, and such do. Taking any of these at a reasonable speed is usually fine. Is there any reason to be concerned about the 60 suspension as long as it is kept in good shape?

My work car is a 2019 Subaru Forester. My own car is a 60 series. The 60 series is a massively more comfortable ride than the Forester in pretty much every measure you care to apply.

I’ve had my 61 for over 10years, yep you can get it to ride ok I have old man emu springs etc.
But I don’t think they are really that good for daily use. I have a company car so my cruiser only gets used when I need to tow or use 4wd, so only gets used perhaps once a week on average.
Safety is a big one for me, poor brakes, steering, rollover protection etc means that I’m now looking for a more modern vehicle (probably a 105 cruiser). If I was using it more often I would have got a safer cruiser by now! It’s not just my safety it’s also the safety of other road users that’s important too, I’ve had a couple of close calls with idiot drivers, would hate to run over someone!

I've been DDing hj61s for over 10 years. Alcan springs, upgraded hub internals, SOA, GM 1-ton steering, hysteer, etc. You can make them ride really nice, for a leaf spring truck. The stock 60 suspension seats are money IMO. I plan on bringing mine to the states when I move; hopefully this year. However, If your going to import a turbo diesel, I'd go with an old 80 with the 4.2 turbo. The eighty rides like a dream compared to a 60, and it's easier to find them with lockers and a factory winch. Check goonet to see what's out there. Japanese used cars and Japanese imports | Goo-net Exchange Find Japanese used vehicles

If you can get one with the factory suspension seats then do that. They don't float around like a truck seat, they're fairly firm and they take the bigger bumps when the leafs run out of talent.

You can set up the ride to be quite good but the suspension seats allow you to run a bit stiffer suspension for more enjoyable handling whilst still maintaining a compliant ride. Depending what you do with the car it may be worth looking into putting airbags over the rear springs.

I agree an 80/100/105 would be a better vehicle but none of those really light my fire in the way that a 60 does.

I cannot speak to the 12HT, which in my opinion would only be a improvement over my 3b (although I love the 3b) but ive been driving a bj60 for 8-9 years as a daily driver. Ive done 1000 mile road trips with kids, etc. Its got OME springs, and I love it. I will keep driving it for a long time.
With that budget you have a lot of choices, Id drive a lot of different land cruisers and see what you like (and what your wife likes) and just take your time. An 80 series as mentions above will be a lot more comfortable, but Im happy with my 60.

I bought a 3 cylinder economic car, and it saved me so many maintenance headaches.
The landcruiser needs new oil every 5000km, also diff oil, and gear oil, that is 2 diffs, two transmissions, one engine, airfilter also.
Then the stuff to baseline it, new brakes, brake lines, soft brakelines, propeller shaft stuff, it just keeps asking more maintenance.
did you set the valves?, time for the wheel bearings, now the alternator, now the radiator, now the clutch master, next clutch slave, forgot lspv, next is exhoust, then the rust, rust???
Then I get stuck, :p:repost:

file.php

The HJ61 is a brilliant platform. I DD mine and found it comfy on highways and off road. A bit big off road at times however but tons of cabin space for a family. The turbo really helps when you’re fully loaded with gear and people.

I rolled mine end over end and totalled it. For being in an accident of that magnitude I’d say it being built like a tank was extremely safe. They just aren’t safe in an airbag sort of way

Biggest reason not to get one is parts. When I still had one close to ten years ago parts were very difficult to get and also very costly. I hear now a lot of parts you can’t get anymore. In my 1HZ I can get parts from my local dealer. For example: water pump full assembly OEM for my 1HZ was around $120. The front section of the water pump, not full assembly, of the OEM pump cost me around $250 for the 12HT. Everything was going that way including pump work. Brilliant motors with an in-line pump, glow screen, and timing gears. Everything on paper to look for.

Other caveat of the 12HT is they have a short power band and once they revs get up you lose all power. Throttle is also rather touchy. I found it better as an overland style vehicle than a really rough track traveler with the occasional obstacle. The 1HZ is much smoother for that. The 1HZ is also a dog on the highway so pick your poison.

The HDJ81 is going to be a better platform but a bit narrower in the rear for passengers. Since the 1HDT shares so many parts with the 1HZ they are easier and much cheaper to get. Disc brakes on all four corners along with coil suspension.

Better yet would be a HDJ78 but I don’t think you can import those yet.

If you can get one with the factory suspension seats then do that. They don't float around like a truck seat, they're fairly firm and they take the bigger bumps when the leafs run out of talent.

You can set up the ride to be quite good but the suspension seats allow you to run a bit stiffer suspension for more enjoyable handling whilst still maintaining a compliant ride. Depending what you do with the car it may be worth looking into putting airbags over the rear springs.

I agree an 80/100/105 would be a better vehicle but none of those really light my fire in the way that a 60 does.
I am in love with this last sentence: I agree an 80/100/105 would be a better vehicle but none of those really light my fire in the way that a 60 does. It says it all about why I prefer my 60 series!

I love my 61 but it is not a DD. I spoke with a couple of different importers when I was looking and ended up making LHD a priority, primarily so my better half could drive it easier. I found one in the Canary Islands with factory lockers and suspension seats. Worked with my importer to do a windows out respray before shipping it over and was very happy with the entire process. Since arriving I have done some baseline work including OME and a new Winks turbo. Recently just completed a reseal so now I have a dry engine compartment and no oil leaks!

Comfort and drivability are great especially with the suspension seats. X2 on the quote above - 60 series is the shizzle!

I love my 61 but it is not a DD. I spoke with a couple of different importers when I was looking and ended up making LHD a priority, primarily so my better half could drive it easier. I found one in the Canary Islands with factory lockers and suspension seats. Worked with my importer to do a windows out respray before shipping it over and was very happy with the entire process. Since arriving I have done some baseline work including OME and a new Winks turbo. Recently just completed a reseal so now I have a dry engine compartment and no oil leaks!

Comfort and drivability are great especially with the suspension seats. X2 on the quote above - 60 series is the shizzle!
How does the 12H-T perform with the Wink turbo!? I heard it's a good turbo. I purchased one from Wink (The Netherlands) that I haven't installed yet. Need to have my old 12H-T rebuilt first, and then plan to put an intercooler when I put the turbo.

The wink performs really well - a noticeable improvement! The CT26 is solid tried and true, but turbo technology has evolved a bit in the last 30 years. I am currently running 15 psi max without an intercooler and so far no problems with EGTs. The power band has a taller top end and there is less smoke on acceleration so it is definitely a more efficient turbo. I was on the fence with Winks or GTurbo and ended up going with Wink due to cost savings from a favorable exchange rate.

The wink performs really well - a noticeable improvement! The CT26 is solid tried and true, but turbo technology has evolved a bit in the last 30 years. I am currently running 15 psi max without an intercooler and so far no problems with EGTs. The power band has a taller top end and there is less smoke on acceleration so it is definitely a more efficient turbo. I was on the fence with Winks or GTurbo and ended up going with Wink due to cost savings from a favorable exchange rate.
Thanks for the valuable feedback. I am happy with my Wink pur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom