AltFuel Input on Appleseed type reactor wanted- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc

Threads
I want to build an appleseed type reactor, and have some questions on the water heater part of the equation.

I found a 120V 6 gal water heater on sale at my local home improvement store today. The problem is it does not have a bottom drain valve. As it is intended to be used, the input and output are on top, an the BOV is on top as well.

Can't I just pump the contents into my wash tank and drain the glycerin there? Do I HAVE to have a bottom drain valve?

Hello Eric,

6 gallons seems like a really small heater and will limit your batch size dramatically. If you are planning to use this for a vehicle I would go with a bigger heater. You don't have to have a bottom drain, but this issue is that you will have to let the mixture settle for 8-24 hours after you transfer it to your wash tank. The temperature is also a factor, wherein the longer you can keep the processed fuel warm the better the reaction will be, right up to the point where you are ready to wash it.

cheers,

ms

You have to keep it warm until you drain the glycerine off? Didn't know that.

That does change things.

I was attracted by the 120V existing power supply on the smaller heater. I'm just not sure I want to commit to a 40 gal water heater when I'm just starting in on this project. I really don't know if I'm going to have a steady supply of WVO for one thing... The only supply I can get regularly is a supply of about 50 gallons every two weeks and it's got a lot of sediment in it. Not great oil.

I keep coming back to the idea of just buying oil in bulk from a restaurant supplier. Anybody have any idea if this is economically feasible?

5gal=$30.50 from my Sysco supplier.
That is over $6 a gallon!!
You probably cannot get it any cheaper than sysco.
Find your oil first and start collecting. WHen you have a good supply/steady supply then worry about processors. Oil is the hardest part. As for the used oil you spoke of being dirty, it is all going to be dirty after frying foods in it.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom