Infiniti QX 56 vs. LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80 ran only 7-years.

100 ran 10-years.

I would expect the 200 to run for 10 as I doubt we'll see many mandatory design changes dictated to automakers.

Well, technically. But I believe the 100 was in production until 2008 in other parts of the world.

It'll probably be 10 years my math was off. In that case the girls may have to wait till their 20's to get my LC300. I'll need some good time with it before I hand over the keys.

To put this derailed thread back on topic, stay with the LC or get an LX not QX. You're kids will thank you for it!

The mid model makeover is probably coming in 1-2 years. The 80 and 100 series had major interior dash updates during it's mid-model refresh. Might be worth waiting to see what comes out and get yourself a new LX.

The top is an 03 LC100, the bottom is an 02 LC100. It's quite a bit different.
LC_03.jpg
LC_02.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the 94 vs the 95 interior of the 80 series. Top photo is the 94, bottom is the 95.
LC_94.jpg
LC_97.jpg

QX (based on Nissan Patrol- all new model) tons of features, most like a luxury car.
4479105893_f5607be18c.jpg

4479732688_a95f006e8f_z.jpg

4479732712_84b6615cfb.jpg

4479106215_33663de446.jpg

LX (my fav of the three)
4976235944_53a9a746c4.jpg

2658338969_2278c5c990.jpg

4976232902_39c839c904.jpg

LC (mechanically the strongest and most durable)
1408707302_8e5d69b04d.jpg

1408707578_d1591a5f5f.jpg

1407824319_77cb39cd91.jpg

Great comparative pics. I am with you about the mid-cycle refresh on previous models (huge improvements), but I just dont see Toyota doing much with the current 200 design for the time being given the uncertain lar,ge SUV market. They only sell 2500 units in the U.S. and I would guess the rest of the world isn't as caught up with the interior design and amenities. One thing you might will see is Entune in the near future, which may bring some interior refreshes while they are at it. However, it appears Entune is debuting on new generation models (e.g., Prius V, new Camry, etc.) for now. Problem with the LC is they are really trying to differentiate the LX (obvious by above interior pics), so I just dont see it going to far upscale. I'd say we are lookng at MY 2013 before they do anything.

Last edited:
patrickfinley, you are right on the hand-downs. 02-100 went to wife, then to daughter then back to us and over in Hanalei testing salt and rustfproofness; 04-100 to wife, then to daughter & SIL; 06 to wife-she won't give it up; 08-200 to daughter & SIL who just sold the 04-100 (95m miles)yesterday. Only one that has left the family. Daughter cried when the guy drove off. Like loosing a family member.

is the 03-100 first year for Nav.? if so, that would be a reason for big difference from 02-03. My 04-06 all looked the same. Great pics!!! How do you come up with these so fast?

another question and observation: My dealer friend tells me US gets around 5600 units a year. The number 2600 US is being thrown around. Anyone know for sure? We all know who the big market is. Also, I was told that they are shifting more production to LX570 because the margin is greater, thus LC less. I was really close to LX this year but I have a really big problem with Lexus dealers. In my business I have to fight, claw, scratch and beg for every piece of business. I never witness such arrogance as I witness when I go in to a Lexus dealership. I say it the same truck for $12 large more. They say it isn't even close to being the same even though none of them has ever owned a LC or LX570. Last time I looked on Edmunds, it was like $100 off of MSRP for "what other are paying." I struggle with that, but I guess they can sell them that way.

I've owned tons of various cars, trucks and SUV's over the years, and currently own a QX56.

IMG_4909.JPG

My opinion on the QX56:
It tows better than any 1/2 ton SUV/truck that I've owned. The only things I've owned that have towed better are v10 ford excursion, 7.4L 3/4 ton suburban, and a few diesel trucks. All other fullsize SUV's we've had (except the suburban/excursion) have limited leg room in the second row and even more limited in the third row. The QX56 is laid out extremely well, when sitting in the second row it feels like you're in a limousine, there's more leg room in the second row than there is in the first row. The third row is also nice and roomy, I fit in there and I'm 6'1".

It has 2wd mode, auto 4wd, 4wd HI, and 4wd LO. Which is great because you can set it to 2wd mode to save on gas a little. No need for an aftermarket kit to change the entire drivetrain to parttime 4wd. The autoleveling xenon headlights have an adjustment knob where you can adjust how high/low they're pointing just incase you're carrying a heavy load and the nose of the truck is sitting high. The rear suspension is equipped with helper airbags that automatically inflate when the rear is loaded to level out the suspension.

The interior is very comfortable, is very well laid out and all controls are easily accessible. The quality of interior compared to the Armada is very noticable. When sitting in both side by side you can instantly tell that the QX56 is built using much higher quality and longer lasting interior parts/materials. The doors close very firmly and nice. The pushbutton adjustable pedals are very nice since I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'2". The rear glass in the 3rd row is power and opens at the push of a button. The 2nd row has reclining seats. BOTH first row AND 2nd row have heated seats. The noise level inside the cabin are quieter than any SUV we've owned including our ML350. The navigation is placed nice and high and easy to glance over at.

I love the exterior styling of the QX56. It is modern, the front end looks aggressive. The rear 2 step bumper is very nice when wanting to climb up and strap things to the roof rack. The tow hitch is tucked nicely underneath the 2nd bumper step and is hidden well so it's not an eyesore like it is on most Land Cruisers.

My complaints about it:
The leather is soft, and comfortable, but it also wears quicker than more "tough" leather used in more rugged SUV's such as Land Rovers, but so far at 70k miles it has worn well and I can say it has held up better than any Toyota leather I've owned in the past. The sunroof is pretty small for this size of vehicle, they could have made it bigger easily. The memory seats are nice, but as soon as you put it into gear the memory function is disabled and won't work again till you put the car in park. That's silly IMO, if you're in a rush to go you end up with your seat/mirror settings only half way adjusted. The roofrack is okay, but could use some work. There isnt really enough support up there if you want to put anything significant on the roof. Although all the extra legroom is awesome in the 2nd & 3rd row of seats, this means less cargo room in the back when the 3rd row of seats is up. Although, even the minimal cargo room is still slightly more than in the Land cruiser's cargo area. The door panels are the same material as the Armada and seem too "plasticy" for such a nice vehicle. Same with the window switches. The frameless rear hatch glass is too flimsy IMO. It just doesn't "feel" very rugged. And finally, it takes premium 91/93 octane fuel. Ouch. Although, so did my previous Land Rover's.

If you're looking for an offroad rig, the QX56 is not for you. If you're looking for something roomy, comfortable, luxurious, and a vehicle that can tow like no other vehicle in it's class, and can handle the occasional trails, then it's the one for you.

The LC can tow 8200 lbs. The LX is considerably less. The QX is 8500 lbs but there is a big warning about reduced towing capacity if you have passengers and cargo.

is the 03-100 first year for Nav.? if so, that would be a reason for big difference from 02-03. My 04-06 all looked the same. Great pics!!! How do you come up with these so fast?

I believe Nav was an option in 01-02. I've seen them with it.

Just went to the Raleigh car show and there was a LX570 and QX56 sitting side by side.

LX was 88K vs QX at 64K.

The LX has better interior materials and is more solid. QX doors felt to light and almost cheap. The QX is more blingy. And way to big for my taste. It was fun to people watch and see who liked what. The qx crowd was younger and more flashy. The LX crowd were older folks.

88k is crazy money for any vehicle (unless it says GT3 RS on it).

Here is the interesting point on used Land Cruisers. Used 2008 LCs are going for 55 to 58k. They are 3+ years old. Lets say the 08 sold for 70k. This car is holding 83% of it's value after 3 years and maybe after 4 depending when it was purchased. These are insane values for a used vehicle. Not D90 resale values but better than any other car in quite sometime. I guess it is the really lower number of vehicles in the country that is keeping the price up.

On Autotrader the Infiniti GX 08 sells from 43k-28k. There are 445 of them for sale in the US right now on the site.

The LC200 08 is priced from 62-52k, there are 40 available on Autotrader.

Yup... Im looking at a '08 200 w 28K for $54,000 at carmax.. Also looking at an '08 GWagen w 20K for $72,000 and an '08 RR s/c w 49K for $52,000.. Both of those are at a LR dealership... So yes, the LC is holding it's value quite well.... Prolly gonna go with the 200, but the G Wagen is quite enticing. Those G Wagens are the REAL deal.. Unfortunately there isnt the aftermkt support like for the LC. As far as the QX and LX are concerned, not my cup of tea. :grinpimp:

but the G Wagen is quite enticing. Those G Wagens are the REAL deal.. :grinpimp:

Do you think there would be any long term dependability issues with the G-Wagen? I know that Mercedes Benz reliability isn't what it used to be once they where Chrysler-ified. Seems like the G-Wagen remained fairly unchanged and perhaps escaped the wrath of Chrysler.

I think the ultimate would be a 200 Series LC with front and rear ARB diff locks.

I have always liked the Gwagen as well. I do not care for the LX or QX either.

Do you think there would be any long term dependability issues with the G-Wagen? I know that Mercedes Benz reliability isn't what it used to be once they where Chrysler-ified. Seems like the G-Wagen remained fairly unchanged and perhaps escaped the wrath of Chrysler.

I think they have some electrical gremlins. They are built like tanks though, body chassis, suspension, and for the most part the engine and trans should be pretty good.

Bad thing about them, they are expensive for what it is, the wheel travel isnt all that great, very limited in terms of modifications....plus when they break fixing them is not cheap.

2011 QX vs 2011 LX is only remotely fair comparison......in my book though, there is no contest. The LX has a solid axle in the back, isnt a Nissan, and isnt not UGLY!!

I dont think the G Wagens suffered from quality control problems during the DC years since the GW's are pretty much hand built at a separate factory. Steyr/Puch in Austria I think..

I dont think the G Wagens suffered from quality control problems during the DC years since the GW's are pretty much hand built at a separate factory. Steyr/Puch in Austria I think..

I owned an 02 G500. It felt like a tank but it was full of little electrical issues. Had to get the back door fixed (it wouldn't open) about 5 times and the same with the rear passenger doors. Great truck and v likable despite these minor annoyances and being very common in SoCal. However, I'm happier I have a '10 LC200 now.

As regards the Infiniti, they are huge compared the LC and much more road biased. it's an all new design and platform for the guy who posted a pic of his QX which is based on the Titan. The new one is based on the new "Patrol" platform but it doesn't bare any resemblance to the previous Patrol, either externally or as regards the hardware under the skin. The new QX is similar to the LX570 interior (both lag behind the Range Rover interior, obviously) but with more of a Sequoia as regards interior space and off road ability.

If you want a true 7-seater with great luxo features then get the QX, but if you want more of a true 4x4 that can also work as a great tourer then I'd get the LC which won't be getting replaced until around 2018.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom