Inexpensive Hi-Lift jack mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For a secure way of mounting a Hi-Lift to a factory roof rack just take two 2” muffler clamps and flatten the bracket down. $1.50 for each of the two 2”muffler clamps. Some pipe insulation, trimmed to fit.

Looks Good Scott!
Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
joe

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44082#msg44082 date=1064329628]
Looks Good Scott!
Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
joe
[/quote]

That is what I was thinking! Shorter bolts and wing nuts.

Great suggestion, especially cutting down the bolts (need the deep socket for this) but then again I don’t want some jerk in the parking lot to just undo it easy either.

Scott,
I don't know about your truck, but the parking lot jerk would have to be 8' tall to get mine when it was on the roof rack!

Go for the wing nuts.
-B-

Scott, first of all, get that thing a little dirty. Shees, that hurt my eyes. :flipoff2:

Maybe instead of even wingnuts, use something like a lynch pin or wire lock pin actually going through the bolt. Very quick.

Most folks won't even realize you have a jack up there.
Then someone would have to know what a hi-lift is.
Then someone would have to have the brass ones to hawk it.
Then someone would have to know it would be a one minute job.

Yeah, there's always dudes like that fawker in WA that ripped off those 40 parts, but dude, I seriously doubt anyone's gonna touch it.

Just make sure it's very secure. At impact, if those clamps are not VERY STRONG, you're gonna have a frickin missile flying through the air. .... are you sure you are ready to deal with that if it happens? (I would not be). :-\

Nicely done. I have looked at my roof rack a dozen times to think of a way to do it also.

Junk-
Do you think this version would be any less secure than the one Christo sells?

I think I also saw a pic of someone that had their hi-lift on their ARB bumper, anyone know how they did this?

I digress.......

"Useful" and "Factory roof rack" simply DO NOT go togther IE, Jumbo shrimp, millitary intellegence, Fort Bliss........ :rolleyes:

From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .

T

those racks are rated at a few kg, if the bolts are all tight, it would have to be one hell of a serious impact to send that thing for a six. So as long as the rack doesn't fall off that setup is good to go.

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44390#msg44390 date=1064410521]
From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .
[/quote]

Litigation? In Canada? Come on Tyler, you're just worried that this is going to create more work for you :D :D

Then again, I tend to agree - this looks like a great idea for the trail, but at 135km/h that thing is gone in an accident!

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom