1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive Hi-Lift jack mounting

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Scott_sFZJ80, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
    For a secure way of mounting a Hi-Lift to a factory roof rack just take two 2” muffler clamps and flatten the bracket down. $1.50 for each of the two 2”muffler clamps. Some pipe insulation, trimmed to fit.

2. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  3. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  4. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  5. - S.A. -

- S.A. -

Looks Good Scott!
    Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
    joe

6. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44082#msg44082 date=1064329628]
    Looks Good Scott!
    Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
    joe
    [/quote]

That is what I was thinking! Shorter bolts and wing nuts.

7. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
    Great suggestion, especially cutting down the bolts (need the deep socket for this) but then again I don’t want some jerk in the parking lot to just undo it easy either.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

Scott,
    I don't know about your truck, but the parking lot jerk would have to be 8' tall to get mine when it was on the roof rack!

Go for the wing nuts.
    -B-

9. Junk

Junk

Scott, first of all, get that thing a little dirty. Shees, that hurt my eyes. :flipoff2:

Maybe instead of even wingnuts, use something like a lynch pin or wire lock pin actually going through the bolt. Very quick.

Most folks won't even realize you have a jack up there.
    Then someone would have to know what a hi-lift is.
    Then someone would have to have the brass ones to hawk it.
    Then someone would have to know it would be a one minute job.

Yeah, there's always dudes like that fawker in WA that ripped off those 40 parts, but dude, I seriously doubt anyone's gonna touch it.

Just make sure it's very secure. At impact, if those clamps are not VERY STRONG, you're gonna have a frickin missile flying through the air. .... are you sure you are ready to deal with that if it happens? (I would not be). :-\

10. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

Nicely done. I have looked at my roof rack a dozen times to think of a way to do it also.

Junk-
    Do you think this version would be any less secure than the one Christo sells?

I think I also saw a pic of someone that had their hi-lift on their ARB bumper, anyone know how they did this?

11. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I digress.......

"Useful" and "Factory roof rack" simply DO NOT go togther IE, Jumbo shrimp, millitary intellegence, Fort Bliss........ :rolleyes:

12. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .

T

13. s79bj40

s79bj40

those racks are rated at a few kg, if the bolts are all tight, it would have to be one hell of a serious impact to send that thing for a six. So as long as the rack doesn't fall off that setup is good to go.

14. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44390#msg44390 date=1064410521]
    From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .
    [/quote]

Litigation? In Canada? Come on Tyler, you're just worried that this is going to create more work for you :D :D

Then again, I tend to agree - this looks like a great idea for the trail, but at 135km/h that thing is gone in an accident!

Cheers, Hugh