Inexpensive Hi-Lift jack mounting

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Scott_sFZJ80, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
    For a secure way of mounting a Hi-Lift to a factory roof rack just take two 2” muffler clamps and flatten the bracket down. $1.50 for each of the two 2”muffler clamps. Some pipe insulation, trimmed to fit.

2. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  3. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  4. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
  5. - S.A. -

- S.A. -

Looks Good Scott!
    Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
    joe

6. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44082#msg44082 date=1064329628]
    Looks Good Scott!
    Great idea..

One suggestion though. Some wing nuts might be easier to get on/off esp when you need it on the trail. Instead of breaking out the ratchet..you can just unscrew with your hands.

later.
    joe
    [/quote]

That is what I was thinking! Shorter bolts and wing nuts.

7. Scott_sFZJ80

Scott_sFZJ80

Media:
    Albums:
    Great suggestion, especially cutting down the bolts (need the deep socket for this) but then again I don’t want some jerk in the parking lot to just undo it easy either.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

Scott,
    I don't know about your truck, but the parking lot jerk would have to be 8' tall to get mine when it was on the roof rack!

Go for the wing nuts.
    -B-

9. Junk

Junk

Scott, first of all, get that thing a little dirty. Shees, that hurt my eyes. :flipoff2:

Maybe instead of even wingnuts, use something like a lynch pin or wire lock pin actually going through the bolt. Very quick.

Most folks won't even realize you have a jack up there.
    Then someone would have to know what a hi-lift is.
    Then someone would have to have the brass ones to hawk it.
    Then someone would have to know it would be a one minute job.

Yeah, there's always dudes like that fawker in WA that ripped off those 40 parts, but dude, I seriously doubt anyone's gonna touch it.

Just make sure it's very secure. At impact, if those clamps are not VERY STRONG, you're gonna have a frickin missile flying through the air. .... are you sure you are ready to deal with that if it happens? (I would not be). :-\

10. DRTDuck

DRTDuck

Nicely done. I have looked at my roof rack a dozen times to think of a way to do it also.

Junk-
    Do you think this version would be any less secure than the one Christo sells?

I think I also saw a pic of someone that had their hi-lift on their ARB bumper, anyone know how they did this?

11. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I digress.......

"Useful" and "Factory roof rack" simply DO NOT go togther IE, Jumbo shrimp, millitary intellegence, Fort Bliss........ :rolleyes:

12. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .

T

13. s79bj40

s79bj40

those racks are rated at a few kg, if the bolts are all tight, it would have to be one hell of a serious impact to send that thing for a six. So as long as the rack doesn't fall off that setup is good to go.

14. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5583;start=msg44390#msg44390 date=1064410521]
    From a litigation standpoint , it's seems kinda negligent to put it up there . I'd feel compelled to place that sucker on the back floor , up against the rear seat backs .
    [/quote]

Litigation? In Canada? Come on Tyler, you're just worried that this is going to create more work for you :D :D

Then again, I tend to agree - this looks like a great idea for the trail, but at 135km/h that thing is gone in an accident!

Cheers, Hugh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.