indash vacuum guage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
I just read Jack Conrad's Vacuum 101 article in the technical section and now i'm in the mood to install a vacuum gauge in the cabin...so now the questions

1) i'd like to get a decent gauge...anyone have a favorite that would fit this application
2) where exactly do you pull a vacuum...doesn't it matter. i look at all these spagetti hoses and i somewhat assumed they were all pulling a vacuum. Also is the pressure pretty consistent regardless of where you pull it?

AFAIK it should be pulled directly from the intake manifold, as thats the most "virgin" vacuum source and where all other vacuum originates. I would check out an auto parts store/website and see what they say for their vacuum guages.

I put a "t" in line just off of the hose running to my brake booster (vacuum port on top of intake), ran the hose next to the spedo cable and have a vacuum gauge (cheep auto diaganostic) wedged next to the drivers side pillar and dash. As Jack directed, it is great for tuning and keeping an eye on how your engine is running.

That sounds like the ticket. Now i'd like to find a really cool looking gauge and then .. the harder part...a great place to mount it.

I'm making a guage/switch plate out of brushed stainless steel sheet to mount to the bottom of the dash, probably in front of the heater. Check out www.mcmaster.com for the material, and anything else you could possible ever need. Maybe there's a place in the 60's interior that you could do that with?

that sounds reasonable -- i'm sure i could find a place to mount a nice brushed stainless 'vacuum gauge holder'.

I perused (sp?) that site some...that's got to be one of the most amazing sites for materials i've ever seen. I'm kind of in awe. :p :p :p

Yeah i was too. My friends sitting next to me in the computer lab just couldn't understand why I was so excited over a site with all those "boring" things. Kids these days....
Apparently their physical location is in Atlanta, I think I might get as excited there as seeing Pimp's 45LV.

i like it. Couldn't tell how much it was though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom