In Memory of Kevin, Tools R US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2133277

There's Kevin putting the finishing touches on a TRĀL project. I had only just met him and John @inkpot a couple weeks ago. So glad I was able to spend the few times I did with the both of them together. Kevin was a good leader, hard worker and a joy to be around. So sorry to his family and all of his friends.

Justin
That event happened 11-4-19, a week ago Monday. Kevin not only put the finishing touches on that water control feature, but ran the big green Makita jackhammer quite a bit to dig it in the first place. He seemed in top shape, as he usually did. AFAIK he hadn't reached his 60th birthday. To say this was unexpected is a huge understatement.

I have had the good fortune to know Kevin for a decade and a half. Since the first day I spent with him, I respected him greatly, and came to respect him more than any other person on this earth. Every person who has interacted with him is better for it. He will continue to help people through his posts here and on other forums, and through the answer to the question 'what would Kevin say?' that I have often asked myself. Up to now I would just call him and find out. It's hard to fathom that I can no longer do that.

It's said that God has a reason for everything He does. Well, I can only guess that something must have been broken in Heaven, and He needed Kevin's help with it.

Where do you start? I had the good fortune of not building one cruiser with Kevin but two. I asked a question and both Kevin and John showed up at my house to answer my question on my 40. The ever popular line "what is your intended use"? He helped me build the 40 we moved suspension rebuilt the engine put on 60 axles and rebuilt the transfer case. Through hours of conversation and ridicule I probably gave him more than I got but it was a good exchange. He and John helped me find an 80 and we did it up just how he told me I should. I only went out wheeling with him a couple of time. He made my butt pucker more than once. The 80 build was the best 4wd I have ever owned. Great conversations lots of lunches and laughter. I will say it Kevin would forget more about cruisers and anyone on here knows. We lost a great guy! Rest well Brother prayers have been sent! Lots of Love from Chachie!

Yes what a lost, purely a wealth of knowledge lost in this community.
May he Rest In Peace.

Hey Kevin. Hardly knew you. But I knew you were special when CruiserDan said you were one of the smartest guys in MUD. I tried searching for that post for the exact quote/thread by CruiserDan, alas, no luck. It was about the fan and cooling- something like that. When the 80s parts guru gives that compliment, it must be true.

Anyway, my 80 is still stuck in the driveway and wanted to PM you personally for help. I think you were correct about the wheel bearings being the culprit to my problem. I held off in dealing with my stuck 80 because of heart problems the day after my last post on that issue. I decided to step back and avoid the physical stress of fixing my 80 thinking you'll still be around. Was I wrong.

A great loss to the community you probably love. You being gone now - a loss to us less mechanically inclined members; your patience and concise posts made it simple to understand. You are and will be appreciated by us. Vaya con dios!

Rob, I can't begin to tell you the tremendous loss we have all suffered and my heart goes out to you and the family. If you need anything feel free to reach out. You have my number. Kevin was a man of integrity. He was epic!!!

@inkpot and I are sitting with Sue and she is so grateful to everyone’s responses. Thank you all.

I’m going to print what has been said in the thread so far to show to his mom and the rest of the family who just arrived here in town.

But by all means, keep it coming! I’d love to give an updated version to her at a later date.

@inkpot and I are sitting with Sue and she is so grateful to everyone’s responses. Thank you all.

I’m going to print what has been said in the thread so far to show to his mom and the rest of the family who just arrived here in town.

But by all means, keep it coming! I’d love to give an updated version to her at a later date.
Thanks Richard for posting this!

Though we never met personally, I felt I knew Tools through his presence on MUD. He helped me several times and his advice was always sound. There are only handful of posters on MUD that I know I can count on to have advice rooted in real world experience and extensive technical knowledge of LCs. Tools was one of that group and I always put some extra weight to his posts and diagnosis of a particular problem.

I told my 15 year old son this morning that I had lost a friend I had never met. I reminded him that, even though he is immortal in his teenage years, you never know when someone walks out that door, if it is the last time you will ever speak to them. Act accordingly, and if someone means something to you, tell them now. There is no time like the present as the future may not be.

Godspeed my friend I’ve never met. My world is a better place because of you. Thank you.

Rob, I can't begin to tell you the tremendous loss we have all suffered and my heart goes out to you and the family. If you need anything feel free to reach out. You have my number. Kevin was a man of integrity. He was epic!!!
Thanks Mark

Wow, Kevin helped me out quite a bit when I first bought my truck. Such a wealth of information and such a genuinely generous guy. RIP Kevin!

So sorry for your loss Rob.

What a true loss for our community. Though I never met him, I learned a great deal from his posts. May he Rest In Peace and prayers of comfort for his family.

When @richardlillard1 texted me the news I was really taken back, I'm still shocked. If it wasn't for Kevin's and John's @inkpot help I don't know if id even still have my 80. Every step along the way Kevin and John have been there. Every time I had a question or needed help while wrenching on my truck he was just a phone call away. Anytime there was somthing I couldnt do my self he was more than happy to clear a spot in his and John's very busy schedual to get me in the shop. Like others have said, a talk with kevin ment you had to put aside time of your day and be ready for a no BS but very knowledgeable lesson on your truck. I learned more about my our trucks sitting in the booth at Whataburger than I ever thought I would know (all though I still had/have so much to learn) Kevin will be sorely missed.

Terrible news. I have learned a ton from @Tools R Us , Kevin through this forum. His tech knowledge was amazing but he also gave an example of how to be a decent respectable person.

Prayers to his family.

Last edited:
Lots of great stories and memories. Didn't ever get to meet the man but you know how you can tell someone is a person worth knowing? Well I was needing help on a radiator issue and was reading different posts and kept seeing Tools R US in the posts I was researching so I reached out with a PM and within a short time Kevin responded to me and took the time to answer my 300 questions on radiators . Gave great advice and a few options to what might best work for me. I couldn't thank him enough for the time he took and the kindness for doing so.
That was 9 June 2019.
Im glad I saved the PM. And if family should want to see first hand how he treated total strangers I will be happy to share. RIP Kevin you made the forums and the cruiser community a much more informed place. I am glad I got to speak with you and may you rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom