In Australia hunting parts for my Troopy, Anybody need anything? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gilmorneau

SILVER Star
Threads
The title pretty much says it all. I'm here anyway, so I thought I'd pick up a few things for my new Troopy (bought in France, on the boat right now!). Got myself some Aussie spec tail lights and a proper air cleaner for a snorkel-equipped 'Cruiser (so I won't have to butcher the one I have when I install the snorkel). Also looking to get a rear door with the spare tire carrier (not the same door as the ones without, BTW, I had a look inside one the other day). Not sure what else I'll find, but I'd like to split the shipping cost if anyone else needs anything. Let me know.

I thought the spare wheel carrier door just had the carrier bolted on and had a reinforcing plate on the inside.

They might have varied year-to-year, but the one I saw had a whole sub-structure inside, pressed sheet metal, presumably spot welded in place as the door was built. I'll try and remember to get a photo next time I'm at the yard (Monday).

How would you ship?

Pm sent

I'll look. I've seen Australian Troopy campers that have screens attached to the body, outside the windows (which still allows the windows to be opened), but I haven't seen direct replacement windows with screens. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I'll look. I've seen Australian Troopy campers that have screens attached to the body, outside the windows (which still allows the windows to be opened), but I haven't seen direct replacement windows with screens. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
Thanks. Even an external screen would be an improvement. I'll take what I can get.

Do you have any recommendations on things I should be looking for that are easier found in Australia? I just bought a 1990 Australian Troopy. I'm still learning the platform. My goal is to build it up for long camping trips and overland trips around the US and Mexico.

Not sure how to answer that except to say (and I'm not being cheeky) that anything for that car is easier found in Australia. Have a look online at Troopy camper builds or Troopy expedition builds to see what guys here are doing. Not to say that anything you see will be available at a wrecking yard, but it will surely give you ideas of what's possible.

Not sure how to answer that except to say (and I'm not being cheeky) that anything for that car is easier found in Australia. Have a look online at Troopy camper builds or Troopy expedition builds to see what guys here are doing. Not to say that anything you see will be available at a wrecking yard, but it will surely give you ideas of what's possible.
Roger that. I'm just getting started looking at other people's builds. I've been watching too much 4xoverland lately.

Ok, here's my wish list:

1. Trakka or Alu-Cab pop-top (this may be bigger than you have in mind)
  2. 270deg awning that wraps around the vehicle to create shade
  3. Screens for rear windows
  4. A hatch to replace one of the rear sliders (allowing me to lift it up and open it from outside the vehicle to access gear inside the truck)
  5. PTO winch & drive shaft (I have a 1hz, h55f, not sure if my transfer case has the plate & gears for PTO but I'll figure that out)
  6. 3 Gauge pod for the dash for pyro, turbo boost, etc
  7. seat belt hardware for rear seats. Mine has the mounts in the ceiling and floor but came w/o the seats or belts
  8. seat rails/mounts for rear front-facing seats. I want to add rear seating but I haven't decided exactly what. I think I'll put 1 or 2 buckets on swivels so they can be used to face rear when hiding out from bad weather. Or do I want jump seats?

Last edited:
12 volt EDIC controller box... Doesn't matter if it's from a BJ42 or HJ. Also, looking for a rear bench seat from a BJ42 LX. I have the short jump seat side. Looking for the long bench seat. The upholstery should have the brown stripes.

Went to several wrecking yards today. Kind of felt like the Monty Python "Cheese Shop" sketch after a while. I did find a few things, though, and will send PM's to relevant parties soon.

I also took a photo of the factory reinforcing that's inside the rear door that holds the spare tire.

troopy rear door detail.jpg

As you can see, it's an "engineered in" piece, spot-welded in when the door is built, and not merely a reinforcing plate or some fender washers or something. Just posting the photo for posterity, if anyone's looking for the info in the future.

I would like a rear ladder that mounts to the license plate. For my 77 series. Similar to the front runner brand from SA.

I have a spare 70 series rear door with spare tire carrier that I would let go but I am in San Jose, CA.

Went to several wrecking yards today. Kind of felt like the Monty Python "Cheese Shop" sketch after a while. I did find a few things, though, and will send PM's to relevant parties soon.

I also took a photo of the factory reinforcing that's inside the rear door that holds the spare tire.

View attachment 1606938

As you can see, it's an "engineered in" piece, spot-welded in when the door is built, and not merely a reinforcing plate or some fender washers or something. Just posting the photo for posterity, if anyone's looking for the info in the future.

I thought all the doors were like that. Then there is an inner reinforcing bracket that bolts into the 4 holes. The exterior carrier bolts onto that bracket.
The 105 series is much the same.

This one doesn't have the wheel carrier, you can see the holes are plugged with plastic grommets. I suspect that inner steel plate is for strength in a collision.

small door has it also

I think this is the 105, but you can see how it spreads the load onto the inner door

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom