Imports a 80 series from Japan (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Im looking at importing a 81 series from Japan. I want to import directly from Japan and was thinking of using Japaneseusedcars.com Has anyone imported from this company and can offer any information. My brother is an import/exporter and he deals with japanese companies but knows nothing about car. So all I have to do is find a good car company to get the truck from. Thanks alot Travis

Ocelot said:
I'm in the same boat as you. Never heard anything about Japaneseusedcars.com

I am planning on either using Wayne http://www.luxuryimports.ca or Mike http://www.risingsunimports.ca/

If you're on the wetcoast don't forget Marko at http://www.outbackimports.ca

East coast now has http://www.adventureimports.net/, in addition to Waynes eastern branch.

You could get a lemon, you could get a gem. I gather you know this is the risk you take with bringing one in yourself?

gb

oh ya I know theres a big risk......thats why I want little info on companies in Japan. I not 100% sure Im going to do it. The plus side is there is major savings in importing my self. Ive been working on car for 11 years, including lancruisers, I know my abilities to turn a piece of junk into something nice and reliable. What Im most worried about is sending a company money and never seeing a Landcruiser. Ive heard kktrading is good and reliable, but Id like to know about japanesusedcars.com, there web site looks legitimate.
Thanks alot Travis

Hey there i used www.kktrading-aurora.com with excellent results. you deal with Kohei(the owner). I did all the leg work myself and saved alot.

Importing from Japan

Hello. Is there a particular reason why you want to import all the way from Japan. Most Latin American countries sell Japanese imports (I know for sure Costa Rica does). It might be a little cheaper to buy it in our continent and import it to Canada?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sergio

Serge01 said:
Hello. Is there a particular reason why you want to import all the way from Japan. Most Latin American countries sell Japanese imports (I know for sure Costa Rica does). It might be a little cheaper to buy it in our continent and import it to Canada?

Do you happen to have a connection to buying cruisers in Costa Rica? That would be quite a fun road trip to bring a cruiser back to Canada. I've heard 70 series are very plentiful down there. What is the going price on a good condition 1990 70 series?

Here in Panamá we have a Lots .. a lots of 80 series ( not much 81 ) turbo diesel or only diesel ( 1HZ ) engines .. some with factory LSD and good to excelente chape.

Here in Panamá a lots of rich familys buy a Land Cruiser to get good economy status .. but never for off road use..

Hey Headlite ,
I have decided to take the plunge and sent my deposit to JapaneseUsedCars. I have an HJ61 (no lockers )but want an 81's serious , also thinking of possibly selling a few if it works out. I only bid on vehicles with locking diffs and have yet to get one, (actually waiting to hear back regarding one as I type). So far they seem very good . They refused to bid on several vehicles because they thought they where in poor condition or had engine problems even though it meet my criteria ( locking diffs , low km , good rating ) so that is a good sign .They also accidently bid on a cruiser without locking diffs for me and I won. They didn't have a problem when I said I didn't want it.( make sure you specify locking diffs when you bid.) One thing you should be aware of is the price in the 'sale price data' is not very accurate for locked 81's . I have been out bid at 1300000 Yen for a low km locked 81 grade 3.5. Hope I get something soon . Anyway hope this helps.

For 1.3 million yen I will bid for you :)

I do have an auction license.

Hey Dave is that what a low km locked 81 in good shape goes for or is that a bit high? I thought I would be able to get one a bit cheaper than that. Do you also export and do all the FOB stuff and set up shipping as well ?
Thanks
Greg

That's the problem , I can't really afford one right now but I figured if I could import a couple and sell them for a small profit it would help to pay for one for myself .( gotta love credit ) Otherwise I guess I will keep on saving .

so i am reading your thread and i really do wish you the best of luck.

i do have a question for you though, if you bring in a couple 81s and flog them are you going to stand behind your product or are you going to be a typical curber, sell them as an individual and not stand beind any problems that come your way. BTW, by law in Alberta even if you sell one vehicle you can be clasified as a curber and fined anywhere from $1500 to $3500 for the first offence. i do beleive the law changed in BC this year from 5 possible flips to 1 with the same penalty. i do not know this for a fact, just what i heard. not only can you get busted for curbing and the associated fine but you can fined for the cost of the repair(s).

i.e. are you going to change out the BEBs? what about if you buy and find out the front diff is making noise at speed? if the front end needs rebuilding? if the cool box doesn't work? if the sunroof doesn't work? what about the tires? what about the batteries? what about the tranny?
if your customer needs hard to fine parts? i have a couple very good contacts in Japan but over the years this is what i have had to replace or fix once the truck arrived here.

finally, plan on having your money tied up for months. these trucks do NOT sell over night.

there are many that are doing exactly what you are planning on doing. if you stand behind what you are going to sell, best of luck to you.
cheers

Last edited:
Wayne I can appreciate your comments on flogging vehicles and that is not my intention at all.I have been thinking of trying to import a vehicle on my own since I bought my HJ61 over a year ago (someone else imported it ). Several of my friends have shown interest in having me import one for them as well after looking at the 61 . I do not have any intentions to rip them off . When I do get a truck I will do all the usual things such as change all the fluids , belts , timing belt if needed and anything else that needs to be done. I also plan to do the BEB regardless of mileage because of the problems and it doesn't cost much if I do it myself.I believe I had an earlier post about sourcing the ACL bearings.I may add the safari intercooler depending on funds.I will then drive the vehicle as my daily driver and if someone wants to buy it off me great , if not I will have to sell the 61 because I can not afford both of them and I would prefer the 81 with locking diffs. I did know they changed the law in B.C. I will go re read the motor dealer act as do not want to do anything illegal.

in this case this is good news and i wish you the best.

we have at least 15 curbers of Land Cruisers here in Calgary alone. None of which stand behind their vehicles. i am not the type to rat them out but it sure is irritating to try and run a legitimate business with a warrenty etc. against "fly-by-nights".

where you are located getting legal will probably be a cake walk...

cheers.

please do not get me wrong, i am not accusing you or anyone i do not know as a "F-B-N". i was only stating what i have found here.

i sincerly wish the best for your endevor.

i would rather see 10 high end importers than 200 curbers...
cheers

Wayne....I have found in this forum that most of the company's that import LC's, like yourself, are located in Canada. At least the ones who are regularly recomended with a great track record and stand behind theri vehicles! Cheers to you.

Can you recomend any such company or contact in the southeastern USA. I live in Atlanta, Ga and I'm wanting to bring in an older BJ model. I know all the import procedures and guidelines but i'm not "qualified" to do a complete inspection of the vehicle or some of the restoration tasks. This put's me in an precarious position as I will eventualy sell the vehicle after repairs and restoration is complete.

thank you for the compliment.
i do not know of anyone at this time. maybe post it to chat. there are a few very knowledgable people on the forum and maybe one of them can help.
i do not understand "not qualified"? not qualified to import or not qualified for restoration?
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom