Importing a 1996 or 1997 80 Series Diesel what engine options will there be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to go down the import route and wanted to stay with in the last 2 years of the 80 Series so 1996 and 1997 and wanted to know what Diesel engines were available and with these trucks approaching 26 + years old should I be concerned about parts availability ? I know there is not a lot of US stock and happy to wait for the usual suspects over seas but are their stocks of Diesel parts drying up.

I'm looking at a possible JDM or Spanish import ( LHD )

1HD-T ?

1HD-FT ?

1HD-FTE ?

I have looked over a lot of the Diesel posts but its mostly been swapping Diesels into gas US 80's not really about what would be the best engine / transmission combo. I would be doing some Touring / Overlanding with about 40 % off road but NO hard core rock crawling and would do the usual Bumper's ,Sliders , Roof Top Tent etc.

Thanks in advance diesel guys !!!

Only one option for the final two years of HDJ80/81: 1HD-FT (from the factory)-- this would be for most markets.

Some General Market countries received a 1HD-T until well into the early 2000's. But those were CKD's mainly for the Central and South American markets.

Just fyi the 95/96/97 models are all the same, so I wouldn’t strictly aim for the last 2 years only.

You could either get the naturally aspirated 1HZ or the much much better 1HD-FT engine.

Personally I think the manual transmission is a much much better option, but I guess it’s personal preference.

In my search for a 95-97, I found:

Canary Islands/Spain: LHD, 1HD-FT, airbags in steering wheel only on some

Central/South America: LHD, 1HD-T, no airbags

Japan: RHD, 1HD-FT, no airbags 95-96, airbags and ABS in 97.

Australia: RHD, 1HD-FT

Middle Easy: LHD, unsure on engines. Mostly seen gas or 1HZ in ME trucks.

Occasionally you'll come across 80s with the 1HZ (AU and JDM at least) as well but those are usually poverty pack - barn doors and roll up windows. That might only be '90-95 as well.

1HD-FTE didn't show up until the 100 series. Even the 105 series only got the 1HZ or 1FZ-FE.

I ended up with a 1997 JDM HDJ81 with a 1HD-FT and airbags/ABS. I would have preferred one from the Canary Islands for the LHD, but at the end of the day it was $10K more and 100K miles more than mine

Edit: Also if you're not finding what you need in the 80 series section, have you seen the diesel section?

Last edited:
In addition to @ikarus suggestions above, LHD HDJ80’s are plentiful in Europe. I found mine in Switzerland but it was more than the usual amount of red tape. Much easier to get one out of France or Germany, but watch for rust in more northern latitudes.

I have 1HD-FT and manual transmission. Couldn’t be happier with it.

The other thing to look at is some countries (like japan) had emissions stuff which isn’t great for the engines (EGR etc) whereas countries like Australia didn’t have this which is better for the engine

1hz are common in Aussie market vehicles if every spec, not just poverty pack.

Aussie vehicles are generally gonna be pretty high mileage, and expensive. Used 4x4 vehicles have just about doubled in price since covid.
Diesel 80s have always been in demand, even more so now.

Personally, I would want a manual trans.
The few 80s I've driven with auto transmission have been underwhelming, and chew fuel fast.
If you enjoy the driving experience, a manual 80 can be a fun 'driver's car'.

It’s more that 30 year automatic transmissions sap a lot of power and aren’t that great. If you boost the power you kinda need to do a few upgrades to the transmission otherwise you can have problems.

Is the Automatic Trans a weak (Problematic ) transmission when put behind the diesel ?

Just inefficient and lack luster. I don't think they have any particular weakness. They are a stout trans.
Early ones were full hydraulic, and can run hot. The year range you are looking at had electronic valving, and torque converter can be locked to prevent slipping at highway speeds.

I much prefer to drive a manual generally. In a heavy land cruiser, I think the manual is better suited.
There'll be people who disagree, and people are gonna have personal preferences.

Only one option for the final two years of HDJ80/81: 1HD-FT (from the factory)-- this would be for most markets.

Some General Market countries received a 1HD-T until well into the early 2000's. But those were CKD's mainly for the Central and South American markets.
As mentioned above about the 1HDT - I picked up a LHD 1998 1HDT from South America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom