I'm going to stitch up my front seat bottoms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
But I'm not sure how to remove the cover. With the seat flipped over, I can see the hog's rings holding the back of the leather in place, but the sides and front appear held on by some other fashion. I read a thread in search that seemed to suggest the bottom slides off, to the front I suppose.

Any other help/advice would be mucho appreciated. My wife's out of town, and I want to suprise her with repaired seats on her return (if possible).

Thanks in advance...

I think I have the same problem as you have. On the PS front seat one of the seams has let go and there is about 6" seperation that needs restitched.

It seems very straight forward once you get the seat cover off...but that is why I have lived with mine for over a year now. Also once you get it off, I imagine getting it back on is not that much fun either. I have cloth interior so I don't know if that makes a huge difference or not.

One thing I would suggest, if you have not already thought of this is to use a heavy duty nylon thread. I bought some and I believe it is even called upholstery thread. I have a feeling you are not going to want to do this repair again in the event it breaks the normal weight thread.

As I have been typing this, and the more I think about it, I wonder how much an auto upholstery shop would charge to do it.

Good luck and I will post if I find anything. You might even try google-ing "auto reupholstery". It wouldn't be LC specific but I would be willing to bet that 99% of it is the same.

Let us know if/when you find something! Good luck.

same problem here with leather. in dayton, oh, there is a shop that quoted me $75 to fix it. they said they'd take it off and sew from the back. don't know how they get it off and don't care!

$75 is kinda what I expected. Just enough for me to really question if I should let them do it or try it myself.

jcolegrove said:
same problem here with leather. in dayton, oh, there is a shop that quoted me $75 to fix it. they said they'd take it off and sew from the back. don't know how they get it off and don't care!

Do you happen to have the name or location of that shop? I'm in Dayton and also have the drivers side sticthing problem with the leather. $75 doesn't sound too unreasonable either, as long as it holds up.

What was it with 94s and stitching?
I had the same problem with my 94. Never did get it fixed, but the new owner didn't care when he bought it.

Any auto upholstery shop should be able to take care of it for you. I had quotes running anywhere from $75 to $100 to fix it. Seems pretty reasonable figuring that it's something they do all the time and they (should) know what they're doing.

I had the driver's cushion re-stitched by a shop that does all our sublet warranty upholstry work. They charged me 88 bucks and that included removing the seat from the vehicle. I also had them install a new pad that I supplied. The guy that did it reinforced the new pad to keep the seat frame from cutting into it on the outer edge where you slide in and out all the time. I watched while he took the seat apart and repaired it. He was damn good and made it look easy. I sure as hell would not tackle it.

Local guy charged me $50, and it looks great.

OK, I can listen...and it's clear from all of you that I should hire out this job. So, I visited 7 auto upolstry shops today. Low bid was $125 per seat, from a pretty sketchy shop, only open evenings and weekends. Avg was $150 per seat.

I know that the cost of living in Seattle is high...so maybe I should check out some shops beyond the city limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom