I’m Back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are so intriguing but I can't get over the sticker price for what it offers.

That's probably true for most Airstreams as a luxury product. It's also true for many niche off-road trailers as most of them command a pretty penny on par with the Basecamp, with less features, and my buddies find justification just the same. Where the Basecamp earns points is as a soft-roader with strong appeal to the other half. More livable features. Standing room. Running water. Flushing toilet. Aesthetic appeal.

We found this one lightly used from a Doctor friend for $28k. That's a steal which is why I threatened to buy it. I certainly don't need another trailer, but sometimes my full size AS can be too much for certain trips. Ah, who am I kidding, too much is always just right. Until it won't fit down the trail?

That's probably true for most Airstreams as a luxury product. It's also true for many niche off-road trailers as most of them command a pretty penny on par with the Basecamp, with less features, and my buddies find justification just the same. Where the Basecamp earns points is as a soft-roader with strong appeal to the other half. More livable features. Standing room. Running water. Flushing toilet. Aesthetic appeal.

We found this one lightly used from a Doctor friend for $28k. That's a steal which is why I threatened to buy it. I certainly don't need another trailer, but sometimes my full size AS can be too much for certain trips. Ah, who am I kidding, too much is always just right. Until it won't fit down the trail?

$28K is a very acceptable price and for that figure I don't blame anyone for buying one. But at the $46K msrp they are beyond over priced. I keep toying with the idea of getting a late model Casita and doing a axle flip kit to help it clear some mild AT's. It would make a great soft-roader as well and while not as refined as the Airstream product, they are still a quality trailer that would meet the same needs. Local factory support here in Texas would be nice to have as well.

$28K is a very acceptable price and for that figure I don't blame anyone for buying one. But at the $46K msrp they are beyond over priced. I keep toying with the idea of getting a late model Casita and doing a axle flip kit to help it clear some mild AT's. It would make a great soft-roader as well and while not as refined as the Airstream product, they are still a quality trailer that would meet the same needs. Local factory support here in Texas would be nice to have as well.

That's a choice pick and I do have a thing for fiberglass trailers. I'd wager the Casita is likely higher quality and more durable. Airstreams are no where near perfect and they've had their share of design and quality misses.

My parents have an airstream basecamp and love it. They're those people who have had (and even lived full time) in every imaginable type of RV from a VW van to a Class A tour bus. They named it Captain Phasma after I bought them a Phasma bobble head... see the resemblance?

latest

Still haven't purchased anything here.
Should i get the Tesla? LOL A german coupe?
Ironically, the most comfortable thing to daily around Houston is the LX. And thats just going to make me sad beating it up like that.
Maybe I park the LX, and get a new GX?

Still haven't purchased anything here.
Should i get the Tesla? LOL A german coupe?
Ironically, the most comfortable thing to daily around Houston is the LX. And thats just going to make me sad beating it up like that.
Maybe I park the LX, and get a new GX?
I've watched this song and dance so many times with one of my friends in particular who had a built 4Runner. He kept buying a new daily because he didn't like the idea of terrible MPG, putting tons of miles on his 4Runner, etc and in the end the new daily sat and he drove his 4Runner because he loved it so much. Rinse and repeat probably 3 times over 5 years. The only thing that made him stop driving the 4Runner was selling it.

IMO if you really enjoy driving the LX then do it--they're meant to be driven, even if it's around town. If you get enjoyment out of it, why force yourself to drive something else? I do really like the new GX though...

I gotta say I own a 21 LC and a 21 Raptor.

I have had next to no problems with either of them and I do love the Raptor. On road trips or tame BLM/FS roads, it's really no contest. Those Fords are fast and very comfortable.

But yeah, the Raptor forum is absolutely ridiculous. Really makes me appreciate Mud even more.
20230609_111656.jpg

why force yourself to drive something else? I do really like the new GX though...

Because the LX 600 was such a major POS and let down i have nothing to replace it with 😩😩😩😢

Thanks for the encouragement though!

Because the LX 600 was such a major POS and let down i have nothing to replace it with 😩😩😩😢

Thanks for the encouragement though!
Since you live in TX did you drive over to the dealership and see the new GX in person? I saw some spy shots of the 550 with Texas plates at a Lexus dealership this morning and was wondering if it was from a mud member 😎

Since you live in TX did you drive over to the dealership and see the new GX in person? I saw some spy shots of the 550 with Texas plates at a Lexus dealership this morning and was wondering if it was from a mud member 😎

No, unfortunately I don’t have a lexus hookup!

I am reluctantly one of those i have to drive it first buyers, although I never drove a 200 before buying one… My trust has been eroded.

That means probably waiting a long time or hoping my friend(s) get theirs sooner than later.

We dont even have full pricing yet.

No, unfortunately I don’t have a lexus hookup!

I am reluctantly one of those i have to drive it first buyers, although I never drove a 200 before buying one… My trust has been eroded.

That means probably waiting a long time or hoping my friend(s) get theirs sooner than later.

We dont even have full pricing yet.
If the 600 is any indication, it will be a very long time until there are many of these sitting on a lot. Seems that they will be on a long waiting list for allocations and dealers adding a large fee above MSRP for years to come. I’m hoping to pick up a newish one coming off a lease in about 20 years. Hope my 200 lasts that long 😂

I don’t think the lists will be long towards the end of next year. They should hit dealers in January, expect markups at first but the economy isn’t getting better anytime soon, buying is slowing, rates are holding high and real estate markets are declining. Car purchases will follow and in some markets already are.

When the LX600 was first announced there were lists hundreds of people long at nearly every dealer, those numbers dwindled in short order as most people are all talk and when it comes time to put up or shut up they bail. I expect similar results with the new GX and it’s in a much worse economy. $70-80K for a 4Runner size vehicle is a steep price for most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom