I’m back, back in the LC groove (with a supercharger) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy to say after a couple years living abroad i found out i’m being transferred back to the States, the great state of Oregon to be exact, and the first thing that meant to me was “I get to get back into a LandCruiser”. My mania started with an FJC, i went back to an FJ62, and most beloved was “Hodor” my FZJ80. Upon scanning these classifieds and the wide internets I found the premium on 80s had only gone up, so my eye started wandering to 100s. Some of your builds really blew me away and since my LandCruiser also handles the precious cargo of my lovely wife and son, i thought “why not try out a little more comfort and safety (and power)”.

I did a lot of searching and with your help, narrowed in down to a 03 or later in Galactic Grey. I was hoping to find one built up already but i realized i may be waiting a while. So i went the stock route and found this peach:
098FE768-F9DF-40B1-87F9-F124B89246D6.jpeg

7BC18ED2-8FAB-4AE2-B655-7D3B1641D05C.jpeg

Well, almost stock:
92455964-7AC9-4A09-88E8-17680F55BA1A.jpeg

And since this is my fourth cruiser and i’ve Learned some things about the upgrade process, I’m going HAM from the jump:
ARB Front with the WARN XD9000
Metal Tech Sliders
SLee Rear Bumper
OME 2.5” with Heavy Coils
And of course new shoes: the SCS F5s with Wrangler Duratrac 285s

I welcome any thoughts, i won’t be able to drive it until the first week of November, but looking forward to getting back in the game.

Welcome back and good looking rig! I'm up in Seattle and still semi-new to the PNW (less than a year). I'm always up for a trail run or lending a pair of hands for mods
Thanks Torch, I’ll look you up when i’m back. The PNW is great if you can accept the weather.

I'd take a look at Dissent offroad's new no cut rear bumper. So many trucks have Slee and ARB, why not be a bit different? plus Ben answers any and all questions, and is a great guy running a great business.

Nice rig! I thought you couldn't install the superchargers on 03+models because of the drive by wire throttle.

This is exciting news!

I would totally put a SC on mine. Can you post more details on it?

I'd take a look at Dissent offroad's new no cut rear bumper. So many trucks have Slee and ARB, why not be a bit different? plus Ben answers any and all questions, and is a great guy running a great business.

Thanks, I’ve been following that development thread carefully. I’m a bit eager to get “phase 1” complete so I can just enjoy the rig for a bit. Maybe that’s an sacrilegious mindset here.

I really want a ladder on the back for easy roof access and I haven’t seen that confirmed yet, but I’ll keep watching. I definitely like the slightly more tucked and tight design.

Is there a specific advantage dissent has over slee? I know there are 1.5 million opinions. Didn’t know if there was a specific area it excelled in.

Last edited:
I would totally put a SC on mine. Can you post more details on it?

Will do when I see it and drive it myself. I bought it blind if you can believe it since I’m in the Netherlands right now. My dad picked it up for me.

This vehicle had two owners and the SC was supposedly installed by the dealer by the original owner. The second owner didn’t even know it was on there when he first purchased it.

I liked the fact that it had been on there for 100k+ miles and regularly serviced at a reputable shop (Pacific Rim in Seattle).

I’m a little anxious about the additional strain on the connecting rods, but it’s well worn in at this point.

Welcome! I'm overseas but just recently got an apartment in Seattle. So, I'm new to PNW area myself. When I'm state side, if you ever need a hand, let me know.

Thanks, I’ve been following that development thread carefully. I’m a bit eager to get “phase 1” complete so I can just enjoy the rig for a bit. Maybe that’s an sacrilegious mindset here.

I really want a ladder on the back for easy roof access and I haven’t seen that confirmed yet, but I’ll keep watching. I definitely like the slightly more tucked and tight design.

Is there a specific advantage dissent has over slee? I know there are 1.5 million opinions. Didn’t know if there was a specific area it excelled in.
The latches used to lock and move the swingarms are a lot better on Ben's bumpers. They are built in to the swingarm, and you just pull them and they open, very simple, and quick. I have seen slee's latches in person, and many people complain about how hard they are to use. I can let Ben chime in on anything else needed. @benc

Had the duratracs on my last 100 series. They had a lot of road noise. Went back to bfg ko2

The latches used to lock and move the swingarms are a lot better on Ben's bumpers. They are built in to the swingarm, and you just pull them and they open, very simple, and quick. I have seen slee's latches in person, and many people complain about how hard they are to use. I can let Ben chime in on anything else needed. @benc
You sold me, I’m on Ben’s list. Ben can thank you for another sale. It will be a long 12 weeks, but the right solution is always worth it.

Alright, i’ve finally been able to drive and enjoy the new ride for about 10 days. Unfortunately i’m really more familiar with 62s and 80s, so i don’t have a stock 100 to compare it to, but i’ve been more than happy with how it scoots. The LC is completely stock in every other measure and i was getting 15+ mpg on the freeway which was a pleasant surprise. It definitely has some of that supercharger whine even at low RPMs and it really gets going after 3500 rpm.

It’s already under the knife at Accessory Outfitters getting the OME lift, ARB front + Warn 9k, and metal tech sliders with SCS F5 wheels and Duratracs. Gamiviti Exp++ and Dissent Rear is on-order. Not messing around this time. I’ve saved 2.5 years for this. Pics to follow, in January.

The TRD superchargers generally need full rebuilds no later than 100K miles. You may want to have a specialty shop inspect the pulleys and bearings to make sure it's tight or, rebuild it, before it lets loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom