Ikamper RTT on 2009 Lexus LX570 Stock roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
thinking to put a Ikamper RTT skycamp 2.0 on my 09 lx570, it is quiet expensive and was told i might need to install after market roof rack for support the weights.
Any one has experiences on this? thanks,

Yes, you'll want an aftermarket roof rack. The stock roof rack is good for a couple hundred pounds (I think the actual rating is closer to 150lbs). So that's the weight of your tent right there. Put any people in the tent and you're doubling or tripling the stock roof rack's capacity. It's really just meant for skis/bikes or some light luggage.

There are a handful of really great and well engineered roof racks available for $$$, but it's really the cross bars that you need to carry more weight. With a traditional rain gutter, you can just get cheap Yakima or Thule cross bars. I don't know if it's quite that easy with a 200, but I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Last edited:
The stock rack is one of the strongest options available, and will handle the weight of the tent and occupants just fine. The problem with the LX rack is that the crossbars are very close together and will likely not provide adequate support for a large-format RTT like the iKamper.

I would suggest replacing the stock rack with a set of three crossbars, like the Rhino Rack Vortex ones I have on my LX. Rhino Rack makes a LC200/LX570 specific fitment kit.

Reactions: CT3
Yes, you'll want an aftermarket roof rack. The stock roof rack is good for a couple hundred pounds (I think the actual rating is closer to 150lbs). So that's the weight of your tent right there. Put any people in the tent and you're doubling or tripling the stock roof rack's capacity. It's really just meant for skis/bikes or some light luggage.

There are a handful of really great and well engineered roof racks available for $$$, but it's really the cross bars that you need to carry more weight. With a traditional rain gutter, you can just get cheap Yakima or Thule cross bars. I don't know if it's quite that easy with a 200, but I'm sure someone else can chime in.
That is a dynamic load of 150#, not static.

Frankly, I’d like to see the engineering calculations and finite element analysis of ANY aftermarket rack that says it’s higher than that.

Huge fan of Gamiviti if you're looking to step up to the next level.

I carry all kinds of things on the OEM LX rack with Yakama rail grab and 66” round bars. I have an iKamper mini, 2 rocket boxes, a 16’ canoe and my skinny basket, mud boat, a box and 2 extra bikes (primary for bikes is a north shore on the hitch), canoe and skinny basket,… this set up is way more versatile then any of the large safari racks. And best part it comes off in <5min. Last fall I switched from the OEM LX rails to LC rails for easier loading/unloading of the canoe.

800 miles of dirt/mud/gravel with the RTT last fall above the Arctic circle. Picture of it now with LC rails.

B246884F-BF9F-43A0-8C83-527FC5DB226C.jpeg

304B4CD6-299D-48BD-981E-66BA4C4EA925.jpeg

The basics - up to four feet per side. Lx uses two, tlc uses three, some aftermarket use all four. More is obviously better.
Since all of them build on the same foundation, they probably all have the same amount of actual upper limits if the rack is well designed, based on those up to eight bolts per side going into the oem mounting clips on the up to four feet

There are many rack threads where you can choose your look or utility based on real feedback.

When you decide to take the feet off, just remember to do each screw of the pair about an 1/8” in turn, so you don’t twist the clips inside the truck and have to drop the headliner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom