Ignition switch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H

Hodag

Brought home the new FJ60 tonight. One of the things I noticed when test driving and driving it home tonight is that you really have to futz with the key to turn the ignition. Of course, the PO makes it look easy, but you basically have to put in the key, pull it back slightly, and push up on it while turning. I kinda got the hang of it, but I dont really want to deal with it each time I start the truck, nor do I want to teach the wife if she ever drives it.

Would haveing a new key made help, or will the copy machine just follow the old worn out profile of the old key?

I called about a new ign. cylinder, and they are $90. Not trying to be a cheapass, but is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks, Hodag

Depends on if it's the key cylinder or the actual switch. The switch should be around $20 from Cruiserparts.net. It's pretty easy to remove and test if it turns correctly when separated from the key cylinder.

there must be someone on this board or the lcml who is parting out a 60 and can come up with a new cylinder... but remember, you'll then have a key that doesn't match your other four locks (2 door, hatch, gas door).

They say you can have one side of the key cut for one lock, and the other side cut for another. Haven't tried it yet... but that could be a solution.

About a month ago I got in the Cruiser one Saturday morning and F**k, if it's not one thing it's another. Ignition key wouldn't turn. Got the one off my wife's key ring, same deal. Both were very worn...to the point where they had the great feature of being able to be pulled out with the truck running. Comes in handy when wheeling and the keys are jostling around. Anyway, I went to the dealership ( had to get the key code off the front passenger door cylinder) they cut a new sharp key and it's been working great ever since. Kind of scary that it happened overnight. Still may get a new cylinder. BTW...no longer can remove key with truck running! New key was less than $5. Worth a try.

Thanks for the help guys. I had a new key made, and it seems to work better. It may be that I am just learning the trick too. I may try the dealer cut key to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again, Hodag

If you talk to a good locksmith they are able to cut the key a little shallower so that the "wear" isn't there. If you get a key cut by "code" keep is as a master and cut additional keys from that. I still have my OEM master key that is used ONLY to cut new keys from! They told me that if a key cut from the original is no longer working then the cylinder is worn out.
A common cause of worn key cylinders is having too many keys on your key ring and the weight wears on the lock cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom