Ignition lock cylinder hanging up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Western NC- Hour North of Asheville on the BRP
My Ignition lock cylinder has started to hang up. Many times it will not turn from the off position. It is not the steering wheel lock----it appears to be a tumbler issue even with a new key.

I pulled the lock cylinder and cleaned/lubricated it with Houdini lock lube. It works much better now-- but it still hangs up every now and then and I have to play with removing and reinserting my two different keys before it will work. Moving the steering wheel makes no difference.

Ignition lock cylinders are cheap but even though I have the code number from the side of the cylinder ----the dealers that I have called only sell the cylinder and you cannot buy one based upon the code number and your VIN to match your current key.

One dealer says that a key comes with a new cylinder and if you want the key to work on your doors, you also have to buy new door cylinders. Another dealer says that the new ignition cylinder does not come with a new key and when a customer comes in for a new ignition cylinder, they send the new cylinder out to a locksmith to match the tumblers to the existing key.

Tumbler kits are also cheap but there are three hardened pins you have to drill out to access the tumblers. I have not attempted to drill out those pins yet.

What is the group's experience when their ignition cylinder is not turning even with a new key and a thorough cleaning and lubing? Do you buy a new cylinder with a key and live with two different keys using the remote for the doors? Or has anyone installed new tumblers and can advise me on how to do that?

I can order another key based on my VIN-but that could be wasting money.

Or has anyone installed new tumblers and can advise me on how to do that?
That is the ticket. This is the tumbler kit you need for a 2005 MY, which has TR47 key and 10 cuts: 1994-2019 Toyota / X217 / TR47 / 10 Cut / Keying Tumbler Kit / A-30-113 (ASP) - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/products/1994-2019-toyota-x217-tr47-10-cut-keying-tumbler-kit-a-30-113-asp

but there are three hardened pins you have to drill out to access the tumblers
I don’t recall having to drill out any pins.

That is the ticket. This is the tumbler kit you need for a 2005 MY, which has TR47 key and 10 cuts: 1994-2019 Toyota / X217 / TR47 / 10 Cut / Keying Tumbler Kit / A-30-113 (ASP) - https://www.uhs-hardware.com/products/1994-2019-toyota-x217-tr47-10-cut-keying-tumbler-kit-a-30-113-asp

I don’t recall having to drill out any pins.

I saw that tumbler kit before I posted but was not sure it would work with the inboard style keys where the cuts are down the center of each side of the key.

I practiced drilling out the pins on a 1999 LC lock cylinder.

I attached photos of the '99 lock cylinder I had to drill and the '99 key versus my '05 key. On both my '05 and the '99 lock cylinder, there are three pins located 120 degrees apart around the face plate.

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0649 2.jpeg

I have keys cut by VIN # at Lexus or Toyota. As to often, keys cut by matching to old key, don't work well.

Sometimes, it's a case pins in tumbler worn-out. If tumbler bad, I've used one of two option:
1) Take old tumbler to lock-smith and have restored with new pins, coded to my key (new cut keys).
2) Buy a new Toyota/Lexus tumbler. Take to locksmith and have tumbler coded to vehicles keys. Best to have a new keys made (cut to VIN #) or have locks smith re-code to VIN#. You can get the code needed from Dealership, with prof of ownership. I've had locksmith mess-up keys, and issue with case or these cheap China made blanks. So I always buy keys from dealership, which they then cut for free to VIN#.

I have keys cut by VIN # at Lexus or Toyota. As to often, keys cut by matching to old key, don't work well.

Sometimes, it's a case pins in tumbler worn-out. If tumbler bad, I've used one of two option:
1) Take old tumbler to lock-smith and have restored with new pins, coded to my key (new cut keys).
2) Buy a new Toyota/Lexus tumbler. Take to locksmith and have tumbler coded to vehicles keys. Best to have a new keys made (cut to VIN #) or have locks smith re-code to VIN#. You can get the code needed from Dealership, with prof of ownership. I've had locksmith mess-up keys, and issue with case or these cheap China made blanks. So I always buy keys from dealership, which they then cut for free to VIN#.

LC-- That is my current plan--buy and new ignition cylinder, buy a new key using my VIN, bring both to a locksmith and rekey the new cylinder.

I live over an hour away from a Lexus dealer so I am hoping I can send/text/JPG the dealer a copy of my title and registration and they will order/cut me a new key. I have done this with my old Range Rover but I am not sure Lexus dealers are as accommodating. The closer Toyota dealer will not work with me because I have a Lexus.

LC-- That is my current plan--buy and new ignition cylinder, buy a new key using my VIN, bring both to a locksmith and rekey the new cylinder.

I live over an hour away from a Lexus dealer so I am hoping I can send/text/JPG the dealer a copy of my title and registration and they will order/cut me a new key. I have done this with my old Range Rover but I am not sure Lexus dealers are as accommodating. The closer Toyota dealer will not work with me because I have a Lexus.
Call them and ask, they may with registration & proof of identity.

Some non-dealer locksmiths can cut by VIN as well.

Last edited:
@MarkTR What did you end up doing here? Mine is in the same boat and on the fence as to rebuild it myself or go down the dealer/locksmith route

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom