If you have dual batteries, how do you isolate the elec system when doing anything on the vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I suppose it is possible to have manual isolator switches for each battery. Alternatively unbolt both negative terminals and insulate them from each battery with a folded towel or similar.

Do you only isolate the main battery but leave the aux battery side alone unless that's the side you need to work on (or do stuff near things powered from the aux)?

I don't have any isolator switches for the batteries in mine but I often contemplate how I might. It's easier to undo the negative terminal and physically disconnect it from each (or just the main) battery otherwise both batteries are 'always on'.

What does a workshop do?

On my 80, I have a disconnect for each battery. I turn them both off when storing it or working on it.

Agreed, I run a manual disconnect on the main+, and the aux+ is isolated from the main+ by a manually switched relay.
Both ground to chassis and block and depending what I'm doing I may disconnect those as well (not generally tho, and not yet actually).

edit:forgot to mention that in my case none of the circuits on the aux side tie back into the factory harness for +. Only the grounds are common. This was intentional so that the relay fully isolates all aux circuits with one flip of a switch.
Also the main side powers only factory circuits. No aux devices run off the factory harness.

Last edited:
I prefer to use no switch at all and remove the NEG terminals. The thought behind this is one less set of connection points in the main electrical system.

Same as above, I just physically pull the terminals from the battery. The fact is, most of the circuits are isolated when the key is off. If I'm working above that or on one of the primary circuits that's always hot, I'd feel more confortable pulling the terminals anyway, even if I had a switch.

Red Arc smart isolator when fully connected. To work on truck I disconnect both positive terminals. I do like the circuit breaker idea though. Gets the job done easier for the auxiliary battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom