If you had 5k, and wanted more power, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been researching this a bit, and its a close battle financially between super charging the 4.5l or swapping in a more powerful v8, and the power output is fairly close. The only real difference is the ease of installing a SC as opposed to swapping.

What would you do? (doesnt have to be either of those options).

The specific vehicle you plan to do this to would influence the decision for me. Year model, miles and so-on.

With $5K to blow? Have you done the axle maintenance, lift, tires, gears, re-rustproofing the underside, radiator, fan clutch, tires, bumpers, sliders, air compressor / CO2 tank, aux gas tank, CDL switch, cup holder, stereo, winch, roof rack removal, steering arms, U joints, control arms, drive shafts, SST, trail tools, spare parts, camping gear?

I put 'more power' at the bottom of my list.

If you do have $5K to throw at power... Slee turbo?

$5K doesn't come close to covering the final cost of the turbo.

I agree with Grench in that I would make sure that I had everything else exactly where I wanted it maintenance wise first.
Other than that supercharge it (gas mileage, ease) if the motor/tranny is even up to something like that

Save some more $$$$$:idea:

swap. easier to find parts. i hear that a sbc will get around 16mpg (iirc) and it will sound much better

A V8 is the last thing I would put into my 80.
I doubt you would be able to get a V8 done for that anyway.
If I were you and I had already done all possible PM then I would either go SC or if you really want to have fun then save a little more and import a toyoto turbo diesel. Oh yeah. 23mpg Thats what I am talkin about

I would find a Cummins 4bta motor and save some more money for the rest of the swap....

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma_dyno

This rear mounted turbo has been discussed here before. There are pros and cons to its' efficiency being so far away from the exhaust and intake, but it obviously does something to that tacoma. Believe me, I had a '99 taco V6, I know what they can't do.

There are no apps for the 80 just yet, but there's plenty of room under the 80 to fit it. It may end up costing more than 5K though.

Search in this forum for 'squires'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom