If you could only carry one knife what would it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i always end up having my leatherman charge with me. this has the tumb fold out blade, and therefore i leave the only-knife-knife at home/in the rig most the time.
Charge har a neat size, good blade, nice pliers, and a good grip.
...or what you can call a good grip for a multitool...
Swiss, gerber, sog, i always end up with the Charge, held up pretty good.

I have had a victernox swiss army knife for 30 years. Come in handy. It is more a multie tool than a knife.

Most commonly used features in order
screwdrivers phillips and plain
tweezers
pliers
cork screw not so much these days with screw tops
pen and tooth pick.
knife
file The file has like a hack saw edge on one side wicth i used to cut a piece of 1" gal pipe one time.

the knife itself is not the best but stll comes in handy occassionly.

I have at one time or another used pretty much everything it has.

Pain in the but at airports these days

If i did not have it I would get a leatherman. Does not have quite as many features but is more robust.

I also have a spider co as a roping knife.

Last edited:
Benchmade AFCK (ATS34) with me 90% of the time, Benchmade replaced the blade once or should I say that they rebuilt the entire knife and only reused one Ti liner from my original knife. When they called me to replace the blade I requested that they use a plain blade and not a half serrated like I had on it. (13year old knife) I also have a Benchmade River/Rescue (440C) knife and shattered the Zytel holster/sheath for it that Benchmade doesn't warranty, so I don't carry it anymore.

My other knife is a Browning FDX-1 in carbon steel, it's not really a daily carry but for outdoors and deployments it offers a bit more durability over my AFCK and much more easier to sharpen. I am looking for another fixed blade in stainless, more than likely will choose a Fallkniven F1 or S1.

I really like the Spyderco folders (Endura/Delica/etc), bought a few as gifts for family members and am impressed, especially with their ZDP189 steel.

I wouldn't drop a penny on a gerber ever again. I got them back in the Marines (all 4 - The Mk I & II, & Command I & II), and they were just ****. Steel was soft, and brittle at the same time. Don't get me wrong, the engineers that design the ergonomics of the sheathes, blades and handles are somewhere near genius level (in that they achieve what they intend to); but - the steel is just ... ****. I could wear them out in a day; then again, I was raised with buck knives ... sharpen it once a year, 6 months if you REALLY abused it. Later, I got more of their (Gerber) blades, and their multi-tool ... again & again, cutting edge dulling in the sheath just from carrying, chipping the cutting edge, snapping off tips (and NO, I'm not particularly a big "pryer" with knives ... that's what craftsman screwdrivers are for).

In fact, with their multi-tools, I noticed that the knife-blade tip on mine was BLUE, from being burned in final machining. I looked at at least a dozen more of them in stores, all over the US (yeah, I'm anal that way), and, in every case, the tip was blue.

Columbia River (CRKT) DOES have some very nice knives, but, most of their quick-open folders don't really function (open) as well as some other brands. (not just in my hands). It's an ergonomics thing, maybe you need to have really small hands.

BTW - Buck is no longer the diamond-hard steel of yesteryear ... there's now a "China" proudly stamped at the bottom of the blades. That said, I bought, and carry 1 of 5 skeleton folders that I bought a year ago, most days. Still some nice designs, although old Al (Buck) must be spinning in his grave over the outsourcing.

Don't know where you are, DJSH, but, if you're anywhere near OKC, I suggest that you go to "Outdoor America " at 1925 N MacArthur Blvd. They have about .... 1000 blades under glass there. Kershaws, CRKT, SOG's, Buck, Case, Kabar ... all styles and types. There, you can pick them up, hold them, and decide what fits YOUR needs, and your hand. As a few have mentioned here, first thing is, WHAT do you expect to need it for? Just like a gun, or suspension & tire selection for your FJ40; there is no "perfect for everything" knife. The closest thing to perfect, would probably get you arrested, fired, or at least COUNSELLED if you tried to carry it for daily wear & use (unless you live and work out in the boonies). I still have my Buck 112 Ranger (from when it first came out), and ... aside from it traveling in a holster, it's still one of my fave's for carrying in the field. Even closed, it still enhances your punching power (both straight, and downstroke).

Buck knifes are mostly still made in the U.S., some models are now made in China but it's pretty clear as to which ones are chinese when you go to the Buck website. All of the old standards are still made in the U.S. except for the sheaths which are made in Mexico.

As to which knife I would carry if I could only carry one (in my case when camping, fishing or hunting) I'd say the Buck 110, big enough to butcher anything and so sharp its scary. For skinning I prefer a smaller knife, mostly make do with my tiny Schrade 720T (70's vintage). When I'm out hunting a couple of days walk away from the car I carry my Buck 119 and the Schrade.

wow, so many people are in love with american (or now foreign made) folders.

for a cheap, reliable blade - nothing , nothing beats a carbon mora. will out cut virtually anything

spyderco has plenty of knives made in golden colorado.

I seem to be carrying a Spyderco P'kal. Love the knife for EDC.

I'm in love with the Captain .. just haven't enought cougare to buy one .. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom