If I Were to Start All Over Again with a Stock GX470, I Would... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the APEX recovery pt says right on their site, does NOT work with KDSS
NoKDSS.PNG

I can’t comment on KDSS but my APEX recovery points fit perfectly on my GX470 non kdss model. In fact, I did a video and photos of the installation that I proudly installed myself.

no drilling required. I did have to remove the sway bracket to slide the apex recovery point under the bracket, but everything lined up and bolted into place. Recovery points share 2 bolts with sway bar brackets and another bolt holding something else.

Check to make sure your mechanic considered that bolt holes on frame are shared.

Thank you for your reply. It is the KDSS that is the problem, and while I thought I read every product description carefully, apparently part of this is my fault because 2/4 of the products say not KDSS compatible in the product description.

I didn’t see the kdss warning in the apex recovery point description either until @ebbs15 pointed it out.

In hindsight, the advice to all kdss owners is to call and confirm fitment with your rig.

Last edited:
it may be a new addition too... a reaction to a bunch of angry KDSS GX470 customers

If I was to buy again, I would look for a GX470 with no navigation and perhaps no KDSS (makes buying many parts much easier and their is more non-KDSS armor parts out there).

@Jstawgn
Are you running these now, or Toughdog?
(I can't remember your setup.... :geek:)
I still run the Toughdog. Stil working good for me. Did replace the front coil with OEM 2886 since it only give 1" of lift. End up with 3.25" with 2886.
Add cheap ebay 1" coil space to the rear to keep slight rake.

Just sold my LX450. My last 80. They were fun but ready for something a bit newer and more creature comforts. Been looking at the GX460 for some time now and finally found one we like.....2017 with 70K. One owner and clean. Have a deposit while we "think" about it......I guess that is supposed to make me feel responsible. One thing is for certain used vehicles are not staying on the lots for very long right now

Still running small dobs lift, 32.5" tires, and absolutely nothing else! After coming from my lifted/armored/lockered/roof racked/LRA'd/etc etc 80 series, I am not going down that road again unless I buy a dedicated trail rig. It's nice having everything relatively stock, being pretty light, handling close to stock, and no electrical add-ons. I just don't need to hit gnarly trails and break s*** anymore or plan for the "what if"...been there done with that. I did add a small offroad trailer to get all my gear to remote camping spots without affecting the daily drivability of the truck...perfect setup for me.

Just sold my LX450. My last 80. They were fun but ready for something a bit newer and more creature comforts. Been looking at the GX460 for some time now and finally found one we like.....2017 with 70K. One owner and clean. Have a deposit while we "think" about it......I guess that is supposed to make me feel responsible. One thing is for certain used vehicles are not staying on the lots for very long right now
A few years back, I had a chance to buy a really nice 4th Gen V8 4Runner with everything you could want on it, but it is 10 years older than my 2014 4Runner and I just didn't want to go with that much older of a vehicle, so I passed on it, and really didn't have any regrets. Feels crazy to think that 20 years ago I'd be running around in old bouncy Suzuki's with crappy seats, noisy soft tops, and all the other stuff that goes along with them, and now that I'm older I definitely prefer the comfort of a newer vehicle.

I don't blame you one bit.

Oh, and my last LX450 I sold back in 2014 and really don't miss it. It was fun while I had it though!!

One thing is for certain used vehicles are not staying on the lots for very long right now

GX’s in particular are flying off dealer lots and at a premium price. It is almost tempting to sell and upgrade on year model but we’ve got two solid mechanical ones so we’ll keep em unless I get a ridiculous offer. Haha.

Oh, and my last LX450 I sold back in 2014 and really don't miss it. It was fun while I had it though!!
I find it interesting how many of us came from 80s to what some are calling the "new 80." I didn't build my 96 out as fully as many on here (lift, lockers, gears, storage, ham radio, armor, bumper), but did enjoy it. I miss not having a classic, but I do remember its shortcomings. I tried to 'upgrade' with the 100, but it didn't work out as well as the GX. My GX has only modest mods, so I guess that is my own 'do-over,' and I've spent a decent amount of money replacing worn OEM with new OEM or Denso.

photo2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom