idle cut solenoid and stumbling help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after being gone for a long time, my stumble is back. Quick facts, rebuilt engine, rebuilt carb, smogged. new vac lines etc. It seemed to disappear with the first rebuild of the carb and it has been running great for the past year or so, although it did sit for 2 months this summer. Classic stumbling issue, usually like 3rd gear under load, going up a hill. My first instinct is to cap off the EGR and see what it does, but when I got under the hood I noticed that the female end of the idle cut solenoid had a frayed green wire and it looked like it could be shorting out. On all the stumbling threads I can't decide if the idle cut solenoid is working during the high load scenario or not. Could this be the cause of my stumbling?

Anyway, when I unclipped the clip I broke the green wire right off, so now I have to rewire it. However I don't know how to get the metal clips out of the green plastic housing. Any Tips? The broken off piece is to short to get in and attach to new wire. TIA
tempImageMiBMuM.png
tempImageiVxfnK.png
tempImage3lStmB.png
tempImage1ut6gL.png
tempImageyxihMK.png

Looking at the FSM it would seem like the ICS would not be a cause of my stumbling since it is not a high vacuum situation. Anyway, got to fix it regardless.

I can’t help with any suggestions on the stumbling issues but I recently had to de-pin and solder new wire onto one of my VSV connectors. The VSV connection looks different (round) that the idle solenoid connection (rectangle) but I’d guess the process is similar. Of course you gotta be gentle with that 30+ yo plastic. I used a skinny ol eyeglass repair flathead screwdriver to release the clips that held the metal pins in and they slid right out. Just mimber how the pins are orientated. For the VSV, the magic spot is the clip that’s midline on the connector. I can’t tell from your pictures but maybe the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock will release the pins? HTH

D26A77FD-7CCF-4A17-847B-4AC4CCB761D3.png

3E5FDAF7-80E2-4CFC-8A42-96CBA86C5EDE.png

24E89C82-7D31-47E5-98F2-F5B5CE3958BD.png

I can’t help with any suggestions on the stumbling issues but I recently had to de-pin and solder new wire onto one of my VSV connectors. The VSV connection looks different (round) that the idle solenoid connection (rectangle) but I’d guess the process is similar. Of course you gotta be gentle with that 30+ yo plastic. I used a skinny ol eyeglass repair flathead screwdriver to release the clips that held the metal pins in and they slid right out. Just mimber how the pins are orientated. For the VSV, the magic spot is the clip that’s midline on the connector. I can’t tell from your pictures but maybe the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock will release the pins? HTH

View attachment 2772177

View attachment 2772178

View attachment 2772179
This is great. Thanks!

This is great. Thanks!
if you’re close to a desktop, search around in the “resources” tab. IIRC there’s a FSM or some white pages about factory wires or wire harness. Id venture it’s not for 6x series but you might could hunt down your connector, and it gives detailed instructions on how to de-pin

Well, I think I figured it out, but my plastic is so old it cracked right away. Looks like I’m looking for a new female end. In the mean time I have some connectors that I’m just going to wire up to the male end. Should do the trick. The plan is to carefully desmog in the next few months, preserving everything for when I have to smog again 4 years from now.

Well, I think I figured it out, but my plastic is so old it cracked right away. Looks like I’m looking for a new female end. In the mean time I have some connectors that I’m just going to wire up to the male end. Should do the trick. The plan is to carefully desmog in the next few months, preserving everything for when I have to smog again 4 years from now.
Reach out to @Coolerman. He has replacements including the terminals

So after being gone for a long time, my stumble is back. Quick facts, rebuilt engine, rebuilt carb, smogged. new vac lines etc. It seemed to disappear with the first rebuild of the carb and it has been running great for the past year or so, although it did sit for 2 months this summer. Classic stumbling issue, usually like 3rd gear under load, going up a hill. My first instinct is to cap off the EGR and see what it does, but when I got under the hood I noticed that the female end of the idle cut solenoid had a frayed green wire and it looked like it could be shorting out. On all the stumbling threads I can't decide if the idle cut solenoid is working during the high load scenario or not. Could this be the cause of my stumbling?

Anyway, when I unclipped the clip I broke the green wire right off, so now I have to rewire it. However I don't know how to get the metal clips out of the green plastic housing. Any Tips? The broken off piece is to short to get in and attach to new wire. TIAView attachment 2772133View attachment 2772134View attachment 2772135View attachment 2772136View attachment 2772137

Here is your OEM Inspired Solution .........

LINK :

1630808809744.png

1630808846546.png

1630808877644.png

But my solenoid side of the connector is fine, I need the female end, like the green one in your pictures to attach to the wires that go to the emissions computer.

But my solenoid side of the connector is fine, I need the female end, like the green one in your pictures to attach to the wires that go to the emissions computer.

PM me please

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom