FJ60 fuel cut off solenoid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Done enough research and believe I have isolated my problem to the fuel cut off solenoid….do these work sporadically before failing?
My 2F engine runs fine for days….then occasionally will give me all signs of a malfunction fuel cut off solenoid (will not idle, cuts-out while driving, and will not shut off when key is turned off). Then randomly the issue goes away for days. I can take a several hour trip, short trips, all with no issue….then the issue will flair up. Carb has been rebuilt recently and has approx 2k miles since before this problem started.

wiring looks good with visual inspection, and fuel cut off solenoid ‘clicks’ as it should when power is applied.

not sure if I should just replace as my first step?

easy way is to check for power when the symptom arises.
or
if there is an audible click with key on and disconnect the plug

or
Yes. There is an audible click with the key on and the plug is disconnected. I wasn’t sure if these can work intermittently before they finally go? Or if I should look elsewhere for my issue.?

Your symptoms described do point to a malfunctioning fuel cut solenoid.
Maybe the electrical connection in the plug ain’t so good and intermittently it breaks contact.
If you can find one — I’d replace it. It’s 40 years old.

I just disabled my fuel cut-off solenoid. Don't have to worry about it anymore

With Key On/ Engine off (power to the ICS) tap the halves of the ICS connectors together and you should hear clicking from the solenoid. If not, it's bad or the Emissions computer (more likely) is malfunctioning.

Solutions are to either replace the ICS (if bad - test by putting 12v directly to the solenoid), or bypass the Emissions Computer by grounding the white wire off the solenoid to the body of the carb. This will defeat your deceleration circuit, but truck with otherwise run normally.

If Emissions Computer is faulty, and you want to stay stock or have to for smog reasons, @Engineer8000 repairs them.

Please don't cut the solenoid and ground. I'm tired of seeing that hack job on carbs, sure its fine as a last minute fix with zero options, but the oem solenoids don't fail super often. Get the emissions computer reflowed first, usually that is the issue.

If that isn't it, test the solenoid and verify it clicks reliably. Usually the computer is at fault.

Speaking of these solenoids, does anyone have a spare intermediate harness that goes between the ICS and the harness on the fender. Somewhere in my 60's life, someone just put 2 wires with spade connectors on it and I'd like a less homebrew solution. Or where can I get the connectors/ pins for either side and I'll make my own.

Thanks

No sub-harness for that section. @ToyotaMatt has the plastic connectors and spades.

Done enough research and believe I have isolated my problem to the fuel cut off solenoid….do these work sporadically before failing?
My 2F engine runs fine for days….then occasionally will give me all signs of a malfunction fuel cut off solenoid (will not idle, cuts-out while driving, and will not shut off when key is turned off). Then randomly the issue goes away for days. I can take a several hour trip, short trips, all with no issue….then the issue will flair up. Carb has been rebuilt recently and has approx 2k miles since before this problem started.

wiring looks good with visual inspection, and fuel cut off solenoid ‘clicks’ as it should when power is applied.

not sure if I should just replace as my first step?
or
Your symptoms described do point to a malfunctioning fuel cut solenoid.
Maybe the electrical connection in the plug ain’t so good and intermittently it breaks contact.
If you can find one — I’d replace it. It’s 40 years old.
I just disabled my fuel cut-off solenoid. Don't have to worry about it anymore
Speaking of these solenoids, does anyone have a spare intermediate harness that goes between the ICS and the harness on the fender. Somewhere in my 60's life, someone just put 2 wires with spade connectors on it and I'd like a less homebrew solution. Or where can I get the connectors/ pins for either side and I'll make my own.

Thanks

a few years ago ..........

i wondered why nobody on planet earth offered a 2-wire ICS / FCS for the
2F FJ40 FJ55 & FJ60 ?

you know the proper one , 2 wires , the square 2-pin OEM YAZAKI splash-proof Factory Green Connector Plugs and all ..........the Real McCoy ?

well , i decided to go for it and done got it going on , the ODD square 2 pin connectors female and male i had reproduced in JAPAN , the ISC / FCS is a MADE IN JAPAN aftermarket part ....

- all in all its totally TOP SHELF , al long as you make sure to lube up that tiny O-RING with some Di-Electric Grease .......

- so 21062-61060 was re-born and up to snuff too !

- i include the harness side female Connector plug and generous amounts ob the correct black w/ yellow tracer stripe 16ga wire and ground White w/ black tracer stripe , includes a OEM crush ring washer too ! PLUG and Play the TEq way

1697163636444.png

1697162845257.png

1697162863545.png

Last edited:
What happened with mine was that the fusible link over by the battery that protected the circuit that the FCS was on was almost burnt through and just hanging on by a couple of wires. So maybe check that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom