Idiot YouTubber Tows Giant Trailer with a GX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My issues were all with power. Felt plenty stable. Brakes worked great. Just struggled on the uphill, which was the whole journey. I bet their not bad tow vehicles east of the rockies. But Im changing 5-6k elevation in the first 100 miles from my house so it was kind of a drag.
I see what you did there! :D

People tend to freak out over rpms, but these overhead cam motors have no problem with extended work at 4,000 rpm. I am happy to downshift as necessary for hill climbs.

I really am not a fan of the transmission (and throttle and cruise control) calibration in the GX. Actually, that goes for most/all modern Toyotas. Everything is overly damped / sluggish; the grade logic sucks; the cal is all too eager to go to high gear but the engine is too torque-thin to pull those gears.

In the GX460, even unladen and with no trailer at all, it constantly hunts when driving up any kind of freeway grade.

If you encounter even a minor grade with the cruise set, it lets the speed droop too far, kicks down two and often three gears, guns the throttle, overshoots the cruise setpoint, dials out the throttle, upshifts... and the cycle repeats

HORRIBLE

I really am not a fan of the transmission (and throttle and cruise control) calibration in the GX. Actually, that goes for most/all modern Toyotas. Everything is overly damped / sluggish; the grade logic sucks; the cal is all too eager to go to high gear but the engine is too torque-thin to pull those gears.

In the GX460, even unladen and with no trailer at all, it constantly hunts when driving up any kind of freeway grade.

If you encounter even a minor grade with the cruise set, it lets the speed droop too far, kicks down two and often three gears, guns the throttle, overshoots the cruise setpoint, dials out the throttle, upshifts... and the cycle repeats

HORRIBLE
For us 470ers with a 5-speed trans, a Nomad valve body totally fixes that issue and makes a huge difference for towing. That and a lockup TC switch picked up around 2 mpg loaded with my camper.

For a 460 it seems like the trans issues can be tuned out now by YotaWerks.

I agree the stock throttle/transmission calibration kind of sucks on many modern vehicles. You can thank fleet fuel economy standards for that.

Regarding cruise, short of pulling a 2K pound tiny trailer, you will be able to use it only a very limited amount when towing with a GX. Our DOCH V8s hit peak torque at 3,400+ rpm so they really need to rev to lug a trailer up a hill at speed. Leaving cruise on for rolling hills will result in lots of downshifts, even if no gear hunting due to trans upgrades/recalibration. Downshifts kill fuel economy, so it's better to just slow down on the hill and plug away at 2,000 rpm rather than drive 5 mph faster in 4th or 3rd and take the fuel economy hit.

HORRIBLE

I turn off cruise control if there are any significant hills so I can't address that. But the throttle mapping and especially trans programming are way better in my 2017 Tundra with 5.7 than in my 2017 GX. I'm not sure I'd call the Tundra perfect but it's pretty good. OTOH it kinda needs a 7th gear for lightly loaded level freeway cruising while the GX is fine for that.

The Yotawerks tune sounds like it might be interesting. While some tuners go to the trouble to get CARB approval I did not see Yotawerks on the EO list when I first heard about them. So I'd want to skip the ECU tune and only get the TCU and throttle mapping if that's possible.

For a 460 it seems like the trans issues can be tuned out now by YotaWerks.

Regarding cruise, short of pulling a 2K pound tiny trailer, you will be able to use it only a very limited amount when towing with a GX. Our DOCH V8s hit peak torque at 3,400+ rpm so they really need to rev to lug a trailer up a hill at speed. Leaving cruise on for rolling hills will result in lots of downshifts, even if no gear hunting due to trans upgrades/recalibration. Downshifts kill fuel economy, so it's better to just slow down on the hill and plug away at 2,000 rpm rather than drive 5 mph faster in 4th or 3rd and take the fuel economy hit.
That's great to hear re: Yotawerx, I'll look into that.

I've not towed with my 460 yet, and wouldn't even consider using cruise while towing with it, given how craptastic the cal is when fully unladen.
I turn off cruise control if there are any significant hills so I can't address that. But the throttle mapping and especially trans programming are way better in my 2017 Tundra with 5.7 than in my 2017 GX. I'm not sure I'd call the Tundra perfect but it's pretty good. OTOH it kinda needs a 7th gear for lightly loaded level freeway cruising while the GX is fine for that.

The Yotawerks tune sounds like it might be interesting. While some tuners go to the trouble to get CARB approval I did not see Yotawerks on the EO list when I first heard about them. So I'd want to skip the ECU tune and only get the TCU and throttle mapping if that's possible.
Yeah, torque helps a lot here, but good to know it's better than the GX. I'm with you - no need for an engine retune for the 460, really just the TCU.

Does anyone know if the 460 locks up the TC in all gears, or just like 5th and 6th or something?

Last edited:
It can lockup in 4th if you place in S4 or if cruise control downshifts to 4th.

Page 9

Flex lockup on page 11 shows 3rd gear use.

IIRC… 3rd gear lockup can occur if transmission is in an a overheat situation

6428BE22-8F11-4EA5-A737-679AE3E4E932.jpeg

Last edited:
I have monitors for trans gear and TC lockup on the first page of my Scangauge. It's surprising how little it locks up. I only see it in 5th and 6th on constant throttle. Lift the throttle and it unlocks. More than a little throttle over steady state, like to go up a mild hill, and it unlocks. When I drive the mountain road to my house I put it in S where in theory it could lock when in 4th but it never does.

I wonder if they prioritized smoothness over fuel economy in the TCU programing of locking. Or they set it to lock often for the EPA mileage test cycle and not for real world driving.

The 460's relative lack of TC lockup is borne out by its overly syrupy driving character, that's for sure.

A remap might help, depending on the skill (and objectives) of the tuner. This is always such a crapshoot...

I wonder if the 8-speed (LC200, LX570) is any better in this regard. I bet it bolts up to the 4.6. Heck, the 8spd's shorter overall gearing would work out nicely on a GX wearing 34 inch tires...

Looks like a Nomad valve body might be feasible for a GX460. They are available or a 150 Prado with a 6AT in AU.

Wholesale does not appear to make a lockup switch for the 150 Prado. Perhaps it is something that can be tuned in. I towed OK w/o the valve body and switch on my 470, but it's a game-changer for MPG and trans temps towing with both.

There is often a correlation with that ECO light illuminating on highway and being in lock up on mine. I monitor lockup with OBD Link. I’ll have to test again to confirm what the documentation says but to go into lockup in 4th you have limit with being in S4. It’s pretty easy to modulate into lockup on demand if load isn’t heavy but outside of that it does readily unlock under heavy load.

As for the Nomad on 460

@wardharris has one on his rig

Last edited:
I don’t see one for 470 or 460 but Wholesale has some kits now that are just electronic upgrades. No need to replace valve body

I will try to find screenshots but you can even set detailed parameters on when you want lockup to occur outside of on-demand scenarios and configured on your phone.

*** New Release ***
Fully Automated "Nomad Lock-Up Kit" to suit Toyota LandCruiser 200 Series

If you own a 200 Series LandCruiser then we have an exciting new product specifically developed for all 200 Series models - the 3rd Generation "Nomad Lock-Up Kit".
  • Fully automated with manual control on command.
  • Water and dust resistant. Rated to IP67.
  • Comes with five pre-set calibrations, all of which are easily adjustable to your personal preferences via an App on your phone or tablet.
  • Bluetooth technology - connect via phone or tablet.
  • Proven major fuel savings.
  • Able to manipulate and control your transmission temperature in times of need.
  • 100% engine braking available on command - very useful when towing down those steep descents. Also helps in minimising brake temperatures when in use.
  • Video install guide available and separately online DIY fitting instructions.”
040DB1BC-2D12-4BCB-9FD7-7E2EFF1732A0.png

I don’t see one for 470 or 460 but Wholesale has some kits now that are just electronic upgrades. No need to replace valve body

I will try to find screenshots but you can even set detailed parameters on when you want lockup to occur outside of on-demand scenarios and configured on your phone.

*** New Release ***
Fully Automated "Nomad Lock-Up Kit" to suit Toyota LandCruiser 200 Series

If you own a 200 Series LandCruiser then we have an exciting new product specifically developed for all 200 Series models - the 3rd Generation "Nomad Lock-Up Kit".
  • Fully automated with manual control on command.
  • Water and dust resistant. Rated to IP67.
  • Comes with five pre-set calibrations, all of which are easily adjustable to your personal preferences via an App on your phone or tablet.
  • Bluetooth technology - connect via phone or tablet.
  • Proven major fuel savings.
  • Able to manipulate and control your transmission temperature in times of need.
  • 100% engine braking available on command - very useful when towing down those steep descents. Also helps in minimising brake temperatures when in use.
  • Video install guide available and separately online DIY fitting instructions.”
View attachment 3250858
Hummm. Some of their claims sound a little far fetched.

Not sure.. they do claim to be the #1 transmission ship in Australia and they did develop the Nomad Valve Body as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom