Identifying my power steering gear box for rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...I've searched probably a hundred threads but am still relatively confused about the identifiers and types of power steering gear boxes, which one I have, and how to rebuild the seals.

I have a 1982 Fj45 pickup truck from venezuela, with what I believe is stock power steering gear box and pump (I thought all of these trucks came with it from factory). It was my understanding that all of the FJ45s have what is called a "mini truck" p/s gear box that was used from 1979ish to 1984 ish on FJs and 4runners. Am I wrong in my identification? I've watched youtube videos of conversions from FJ40s with no p/s to FJ40s with "mini truck" p/s and it looks like what is on mine...but maybe I am wrong.

I ordered the p/s gear seal kit from Cruiser Corps that says it is for FJ40, FJ45 from 1979-1984. I emailed Cruiser Corps to confirm and they said this is not for "mini truck" steering boxes.

1. Do I have stock power steering for an FJ45?
2. Is stock power steering from a 1979-1984 FJ45 different from that of a 1979-1984 FJ40?
3. If this kit is indeed incorrect for my p/s gear box, does anyone know of a kit for that which I have?
4. How the hell is something so simple, so confusing?

Thanks, y'all. My gear box is leaking pretty good and I'd like to get this taken care of. Pic attached. (ignore the dangly cable)

2022-05-12_0001.jpg

I built a "oem" 40 series ps gear using a 40 series case and mini truck internals. I am pretty sure the seal kit is the same for both since they share the same internal parts. The only difference between the two is the mounting angle, hence the non stock mounting bracket required to use a mini truck box on a 40 series

Pic of a factory mount from driver fender, note rivets on lower left.HTH
1979 fj40 ps mount.jpg

Definitely looks like I have a factory mount. Is that the only difference between “mini truck” and the OEM...the mount?

CFA343BC-EB8D-4095-99C2-3E1C1C09743D.jpeg

OEM has factory rivets to frame. Conversions involve obvious mods..brackets etc.
Looks factory.
Any pics of this truck?
I sent my leaky power steering box to an online rebuilder, very pleased.
Let me know if you want more info.

OEM has factory rivets to frame. Conversions involve obvious mods..brackets etc.
Looks factory.
Any pics of this truck?
I sent my leaky power steering box to an online rebuilder, very pleased.
Let me know if you want more info.
I’m hoping the rep from cruiser corps was mistaken and their seal kit will work and I can replace on my own. If I run into issues I’ll hit you up!

2022-05-11_0001.jpg

This forum loves pics, thanks!,
Very interesting truck especially the rear bed steel stamping/construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom