Identify some stuff for me please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sando Serious

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

Just picked up this 1971 FJ40. It has a lot of aftermarket parts and I have no history on the vehicle at all as far as what was used, who did the work, how long ago, etc.

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out the knuckle and disc brake set up. Any idea if I have the stock transfer case base on the photo? Also, the wiring seems pretty messy and will eventually need to be gone through. One thing I noticed is the fuel pump is set up on a manual switch. Is that normal? I’ve read some of the pros as far as being able to shut it off in case of engine stall. Any major cons? My buddy and I redid a 72 several years ago and I don’t recall ever wiring in a manual switch for the fuel pump.

Thanks for the help.

F0DA7910-AC7E-41E5-9176-AA2FDB52A88D.jpeg

C6EE1F77-2E59-4CEA-A754-9BC644A3232F.jpeg

B0CAAAFC-C9D3-46D3-A8A9-19D9FEEE3605.jpeg

761BF191-FEA9-4471-8BDA-52F2D16A377E.jpeg

C84CE9AF-184A-4286-ADA8-FFDE365FF392.jpeg

Hey Bud, looks like you have six shooter steering arms for the hi-steer, you need hi-steer for the spring over suspension, looks like Toyota disc brakes and a 3 speed transfer case to me. Still running a 3 speed tranny it looks like with a Marks V8 adapter.

Hey Bud, looks like you have six shooter steering arms for the hi-steer, you need hi-steer for the spring over suspension, looks like Toyota disc brakes and a 3 speed transfer case to me. Still running a 3 speed tranny it looks like with a Marks V8 adapter.

Hey long time no talk! How have you been doing? Yeah has the 350 to what I assumed was the stock 3 speed tranny.

When you say Toyota disc brakes, you mean from a later 40 series or something else?

Thought the Marks in Australia adapter the shifters were still in the stock location. Not a fan of the exhaust crossing over to the other side so close to the transfer case. The amount of exposed splines on the front driveshaft makes me think the driveshaft is too short.

I know, it has been a long time! I'm good, you still in Salem? hope you are well, too..... yes, from a 76 or newer LC. It has a backing plate eliminator on the brakes too. let me know if you want to swap my spring under lift set up for your spring over, just kidding, there's a lot of money in your suspension! oh yeah, and the fuel pump, I'd just wire it to a + that works on the ignition if you don't like the switch, or put the switch in a hidden spot for some anti theft action.

Thought the Marks in Australia adapter the shifters were still in the stock location. Not a fan of the exhaust crossing over to the other side so close to the transfer case. The amount of exposed splines on the front driveshaft makes me think the driveshaft is too short.

Thanks. Yeah I noticed those exposed splines. Thanks for calling that out. I think at some point someone put a fair amount of money into it, but it looks like it’s been done a long time ago and some things just started getting thrown together. Definitely looks like it’s been used for wheeling.

Did it used to be column shift?, and also it looks like your front springs are flipped to move the axle forward, that looks to be a custom driveshaft, maybe it's a long slip, wouldn't surprise me. the marks adapter allows the tranny and trans to stay put, yes.

I know, it has been a long time! I'm good, you still in Salem? hope you are well, too..... yes, from a 76 or newer LC. It has a backing plate eliminator on the brakes too. let me know if you want to swap my spring under lift set up for your spring over, just kidding, there's a lot of money in your suspension! oh yeah, and the fuel pump, I'd just wire it to a + that works on the ignition if you don't like the switch, or put the switch in a hidden spot for some anti theft action.

Just moved from Salem to Arizona this past spring. I sold my 72 several years ago and have been wanting to get another 40 ever since. Found this one here in Phoenix for $8,500. Mostly rust free. Drove it home about 40 miles without issue which was a nice surprise. Haha.

Just moved from Salem to Arizona this past spring. I sold my 72 several years ago and have been wanting to get another 40 ever since. Found this one here in Phoenix for $8,500. Mostly rust free. Drove it home about 40 miles without issue which was a nice surprise. Haha.
Nice score! Yeah that thing looks sweet. I graduated high school in Tucson, had my first 40, a '69, there back in 1991. I'm old! Well I thought it looked rather dry in the pics..... I loved desert wheeling, there's a place just north of Tucson called "the gap" that's a good time, really beautiful. You should check it out if you get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom