Idea: Engine Compartment Cooling Using Marine Bilge Exhaust Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cerakote makes a high-temp coating specifically for automotive and engine applications. It seems to work exceptionally well at keeping heat inside the header, plus its application process makes it inherently very rust resistant.
Cerakote Coatings

I'd be inclined to try cerakote on the header first. If not satisfied, I'd then consider a wrap knowing that the cerakote would protect the header from further rust and decay. Downside to cerakote is that you'd have to pull the header and possibly Y-pipe to be dropped off at a shop that can apply it.
Judging by their website you cant get rattle can but you can get in regular cans. Being that its exhaust and wont need to be overly beautiful may brush it on and backroll it with a foam Whizz.

@treerootCO had his exhaust headers blasted and sealed with a cerakote heat insulator. Last I asked, he said they were doing a very good job of keeping temps down. This is probably the best rust protection you can get for a cast iron component that sees extreme heat and is prone to rust.

So far so good! It is holding up nicely on the exhaust manifolds and heat shields. No discoloration and you can touch it while running. I wouldn't want to leave my hand there but you can touch the exhaust. I couldn't do that when it wasn't coated.

Ok. Good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom