I think I'm in the owners club now! 2003 117k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think everyone that has chimed in, including myself, has just wanted to give what we think is good advice, but as long as you are happy that's all that matters. Happiness is what these vehicles are all about. I look forward to following your build thread!

Last edited:
When I got my truck it was dirty too, the seats were stained and the carpet had spots on it from kids juice drinks. I bought it from a soccer mom, and tbh I'd much rather buy it from a soccer mom with dirty interior than buy it from someone who went wheeling with it. Truck is mechanically sound, I shampoo'ed the interior carpet, used leather cleaner and scrubbed the seats with a sponge, and I used a big brush and laundry detergent to clean out the floor mats. Looks very good now, and the main part was that I enjoyed doing all of that. I cleaned it the right way and it gave me the satisfaction that i saved the vehicle. The truck is as smooth as my lexus with half the miles, it's a little slow and brakes are terrible compared to a sports car but I knew this going in. As long as you are happy and think it's a good deal, then it doesn't matter what others think. To me I think it's a good deal, I would buy that if I was in the market for one.

Brett, I'm super happy for you, you own a 100 and that's just a great feeling, I am just disappointed in what I see being advertised for sale these days. That being said, I'm pretty sure theres a guy on this forum has some tips and tricks for taking a dirty 100 and turning it into a showroom model since he's done it several times. I seem to remember he had some not so common methods for getting plastic trim looking new again etc. Do post some "after" pics of the transformation. It will make me feel a little better lol.

So, I went ahead and picked it up Tuesday night. Drove it from the bank where we met so I could get title straight to an auto parts store so I could get some cleaner. Took off the old nasty steering wheel cover by the first stop sign, then cleaned the steering wheel itself which was also quite dirty in the auto parts store parking lot, then drove home. Did a little tiny bit of cleaning around the console, but there wasn't much daylight left so didn't get far. This morning I drove to the local dealer that was offering the Timing Belt/Water pump replacement for $699. It includes change of all drive belts, the water pump, seal inspection and complete coolant flush. I asked them to make sure they do a full flush and use SLL Pink, which they said is what they usually do. Given my schedule, I went ahead and asked them to do replace transmission, transfer case, and both diff fluids as well. So, it goes in tomorrow to get caught up on all major maintenance. Except spark plug replacement (which it technically isn't quite due for yet) was over $200 so I elected to do THAT myself after I get it back home. I've cleaned the seating surface of the front passenger seat, cleaned all the windows which were all smeared, and did a quick spot clean on one carpet area. I'd watched some Youtube videos of auto carpet cleaning and was expecting to use a degreaser, than laundry detergent with a lot of hot water and then shop vac to extract it out, but I haven't gotten the degreaser I want to use yet (I don't want the harsh chemical smell of an engine degreaser, apparently Meguiar's Super Degreaser D108 smells decent enough and isn't too harsh to use on interiors based on my research). But, since I haven't found a local supplier I picked up a different carpet stain remover and just decided to see how it would do.
Before:
IMG_2126.JPG

After:
IMG_2127.JPG

(I hadn't gotten to the crevice at the rear yet, I'll do that when I move the seat, this was just first spot, first pass)
I think maybe it's less stained, and more just plain dirty.
I also have driven it now for over 150 miles and it runs flawlessly!
Get all the maintenance done tomorrow, I'll finish cleaning it up over the weekend. Looking like its going to turn out to be a great rig! :)

Awesome, that looks much better!! Make sure you document the progress and keep us updated, I think you have quite a few followers now:)

If you really want to get the carpet/under pad clean, what we did in our Camry (which had 300,000 miles on it when we sold it) is we pulled all the seats out and actually lifted the carpet out and used tide and carpet cleaner and a power washer to throughly clean it outside of the car. Took hours to properly clean and rinse it and then another couple of days to for it to dry, but once it was done, it literally looked new. Not sure if it's worth it to you, but others here have done the same thing and you won't regret it.

There is definitely a sense of accomplishment putting out a little effort
and transforming a vehicle into nice fresh appearance. My Isuzu Trooper
looked somewhat like your LX and after some cleaning efforts it looks really nice.
Do keep us updated. ~100K miles on a 100 is very hard to find.

Mechanical Day at the Dealer:
I had asked for these three services to be performed (as well as check the heater Ts)
  • Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belts and SLL Coolant flush w/ inspection of seals and tensioner = $677.72
  • Replace Front/Rear diff fluids and transfer case fluids = $207.44
  • Flush and replace trans fluid w/ synthetic max life = $158.20
During service inspection, they had the following additional recommendations:
  • Heater Ts failed inspection, $196.46 for dealer to replace. Instead bought OEM parts from dealer for $31.46 and I will replace myself.
  • Recommended spark plug replacement, $344.08 for dealer to replace. Instead bought qty 8 Denso Iridium Long Life at Napa for $62.16 and will replace myself.
  • Recommended power steering fluid replacement, $119.95 service, I’ll do later.
  • Clean throttle body, $89.95 service, I had them do this. Mostly because it seemed related to the next item...
  • Fuel/air induction system service (clean injectors, etc.), $169.95 service, I had them do this. Not sure it needed it, but I have no idea the quality of gas the PO was using, so it seemed reasonable to have done, and not something I can do at home easily.
Everything else passed inspection. Tech said wheel bearings, etc.were in excellent condition. Brakes looked new (I knew those had just been replaced by the seller). No leaks. everything mechanically looking great! Multiple service folks were telling me how good the vehicle seemed to be mechanically. So that was good to hear.
FWIW, the onboard trip info says it’s been getting 17+ mpg in about 150 miles of mixed driving between me getting it and this service (I don’t expect much change, but we’ll see. I think the better milage then most of you report is likely mostly attributable to the tires, which are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, which are Crossover/SUV tires and weigh about 41 lbs per tire and more of a highway tread. I’d like to replace both the wheels and tires with something a bit more aggressive, but should probably wait until my wallet quits smoking. And while these are mall shopper tires, they are in great shape, so...

I think everyone that has chimed in, including myself, has just wanted to give what we think is good advice, but as long as you are happy that's all that matters. Happiness is what these vehicles are all about. I look forward to following your build thread!
yes, I realize everyone was trying to help and give good advice. And I appreciated all the feedback, even the feedback I didn't follow. Seriously, if my wife wasn't SO opposed to fly and drive I know there were better trucks and better deals. But I decided this one was at least reasonable, and the best option I've seen locally in the 6 months I've been looking, and something I think I can put a little effort into and make it something reasonably nice. I am happy with the vehicle, and I am happy and thankful for this community too!

Good on you man. Don't look back.

I would suggest getting to a coin car wash after you yank those carpets... and blast them with the pressure washers, it makes a big difference.

Or, since you're spending a boat load on maintenance as it is, toss a couple hundred more at a reputable detail shop and have them do it for you. They use fancy steam cleaners that knock out grease, dirt and grime like NOTHING else.

And consider just using metal Tees. Then you never have to worry about them again.

17MPG is outstanding in a 100.

Mechanical Day at the Dealer:
I had asked for these three services to be performed (as well as check the heater Ts)
  • Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belts and SLL Coolant flush w/ inspection of seals and tensioner = $677.72
  • Replace Front/Rear diff fluids and transfer case fluids = $207.44
  • Flush and replace trans fluid w/ synthetic max life = $158.20
During service inspection, they had the following additional recommendations:
  • Heater Ts failed inspection, $196.46 for dealer to replace. Instead bought OEM parts from dealer for $31.46 and I will replace myself.
  • Recommended spark plug replacement, $344.08 for dealer to replace. Instead bought qty 8 Denso Iridium Long Life at Napa for $62.16 and will replace myself.
  • Recommended power steering fluid replacement, $119.95 service, I’ll do later.
  • Clean throttle body, $89.95 service, I had them do this. Mostly because it seemed related to the next item...
  • Fuel/air induction system service (clean injectors, etc.), $169.95 service, I had them do this. Not sure it needed it, but I have no idea the quality of gas the PO was using, so it seemed reasonable to have done, and not something I can do at home easily.
Everything else passed inspection. Tech said wheel bearings, etc.were in excellent condition. Brakes looked new (I knew those had just been replaced by the seller). No leaks. everything mechanically looking great! Multiple service folks were telling me how good the vehicle seemed to be mechanically. So that was good to hear.
FWIW, the onboard trip info says it’s been getting 17+ mpg in about 150 miles of mixed driving between me getting it and this service (I don’t expect much change, but we’ll see. I think the better milage then most of you report is likely mostly attributable to the tires, which are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, which are Crossover/SUV tires and weigh about 41 lbs per tire and more of a highway tread. I’d like to replace both the wheels and tires with something a bit more aggressive, but should probably wait until my wallet quits smoking. And while these are mall shopper tires, they are in great shape, so...

Awesome! Congrats. Glad to see you're not gonna give the dealership money to replace those heater t's. If I had to guess, the reason you got 17mpg is due to the ECU getting reset (battery disconnected).

Those are some FANTASTIC prices for the TB/WP service and fluid replacements! Wish my dealers and mechanics locally could do it for that little. Good on ya for doing the heater t's and plugs on your own (they are 1 banana jobs and a great way to get to "know" your cruiser better). 17 mpg is CRAZY good....I'm lucky to get 13.4 in mixed driving in my 98 LX.

FYI, the throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning are very, very easy. The cleaners cost about $5 from Home Depot. Both services took me about 1 hr total to complete (took my time). Truck drove noticeably better after those services.

Welcome to the cruiser cult and keep us posted! You got what looks to be a diamond in the ruff.....congrats!

... If I had to guess, the reason you got 17mpg is due to the ECU getting reset (battery disconnected).
Thanks, on this comment/guess though, it was the onboard commuter's report BEFORE service and the ECU reset. Right now the average is down from the injector cleaning and ECU reset, but it hasn't been driven anywhere but back home. Real test will be calculated fuel mileage after a few fill-ups (I keep a running spreadsheet on all my vehicles of every fill-up, as well as all maintenance, and mpg is calculated on each entry based on miles driven and gallons to fill - more accurate than any onboard computer).

And thanks everyone for the feedback. Saturday will be cleaning day! :) More pics after...

I keep a running spreadsheet on all my vehicles of every fill-up, as well as all maintenance, and mpg is calculated on each entry based on miles driven and gallons to fill - more accurate than any onboard computer.

I use aCar on Andriod, great product for tracking maintenance, mileage, etc. Gives you reminders on service that you can customize. You can download the data anytime you want in csv. I used another product when I had an iPhone, don't recall the name right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom