I STRUCK GOLD!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing my front axle rebuild and I think I found gold!
Open the knuckle and I find this. Red grease with metal shavings. WTH. Who uses red grease?
Anyways what do you guys think? Axles toast? Sky’s going to rain chickens?
Has anyone encountered this? What’s your take on what’s going on?
It looks like someone that didn’t know what the hell they were doing and put red sticky grease instead of molly last axle rebuild and really did a job on it, literally. I’ll clean the birfs up and look at the balls/cage/outer axle and see if they are reusable.
C5F0E836-98EC-47C0-873C-14E763A6B0B2.jpeg
1637E251-4693-4B45-84F9-CBB90492B437.jpeg

Probably brass in there from the spindle bushings. Look at the spindles and see if the bushings look ground up. When you replace them, get the newer Toyota version for the 96-97 80’s with needle bearings instead of brass bushings from Cruiser Outfitters. Be warned they’re almost $400 a side but they’re worth it!

Probably brass in there from the spindle bushings. Look at the spindles and see if the bushings look ground up. When you replace them, get the newer Toyota version for the 96-97 80’s with needle bearings instead of brass bushings from Cruiser Outfitters. Be warned they’re almost $400 a side but they’re worth it!

Nawww

Brass doesn’t look that bad. Definitely scored but not bad. Maybe caught it on time. 5k since the “great knuckle rebuild”.
image.jpg

I saw little chrome maybe? Birfs look overheated but not to bad.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

I think these were new spindles. You can see the grove on the brass. Maybe from there. Only unusual wear I see other than the over heated outer shells.
image.jpg

what kind of damage can you see inside? Busted inner cage?

it wasn’t making any noise. I just went in there because a busted pinion flange Seal. Thought the oils looked dirty, no flakes inside the gear oil.[/QUOTE]

All birfs look like that.

I'm not very good at explaining things but this guy does. This guy forgot to apply some grease to make assembly easier.

so far I like the brass problem mentioned and I’ll go with that. Brass is definitely a soft metal and hopefully it doesn’t go bad.

I think“sometimes” it’s a wast of time to completely disassemble the birfs.

clean them really good, soak them I gasoline, spray them with parts cleaner, hit them down to get excess grease out, wipe, shoot air in them, wipe, gasoline, hang upside down, wipe and then shoot air.
If there’s not “excessive” wear on the cage, outer axle, ball bearing.....

is disassembling them really necessary?

it just 2 steps you can bypass. Breaking them apart and reassembling them. What can you really see that’s not apparent?

Okay, now let’s let it rain with the word of the factory part boys. Lol. All criticism is positive criticism for those who want to listen.

It's your BIRF, this is the only time you get to give them a good cleaning and pack them with grease. Maybe it will say hello to you again when it grenades.:meh:

Meh, at least you still had some grease in there. I had no grease, only diff fluid in one side of mine, and it was still fine. You can get OEM spindles for much cheaper from Japan or Dubai.

Last edited:
I would flush like you said unless I saw chunking, then I would disassemble. I pack mine like a bearing and it pushes out the old stuff as the new comes it.

I think you had some new brass in there, combined with bird soup and clean gear oil to make it really shine.

You didn't have near enough grease in that birf housing.

Those are heat treating marks on the birfs. Supposed to be that way. They were not overheated.

Okay I see something really wrong.
I took my old spare axle and compared it to what’s going on here on my current rebuild.
90E321C8-C1CC-4575-9251-8126A8ACA4F0.jpeg

you see anything wrong?
Yes they, whoever did the “greatest axle rebuild ever” put the FREAKING CAGE IN BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

oh it fits so let’s just move on attitude. I’m going to contact the previous owner and see which shop did this. Daymn.
Need new axles or reverse cage and polish and call it a day?
One thing I noticed too is that on my older cage it looks more polished that the F’ed up one. Geezzzeeeee

It fits!

You could get the Wits End seal installation tool so you can set the new axle seals a bit deeper in order to move the lips of the seals to a different section of the axle shafts.

You could get the Wits End seal installation tool so you can set the new axle seals a bit deeper in order to move the lips of the seals to a different section of the axle shafts.

nice Plug but I’m not even there yet. Normally use a socket but who cares.

And yes I may buy my bearing from cruiser outfitters. Plug them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom